hotel in budapest

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:54 AM.
5 Posts
Joined May 2010
we are going to Avalon cruise ended in Budapest.
can you advise me as to hotel for the post-cruise?
thank you
Delaware
300 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by r15il
we are going to Avalon cruise ended in Budapest.
can you advise me as to hotel for the post-cruise?
thank you

Last Fall we stayed at the Marriott...very nice stay!

Close to everything and nice rooms.

Nothing dramatic in terms of the rooms themselves...other than all rooms face the Danube.

We would stay there again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Wilmington, DE
152 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
If price and location is important we found an inexpensive hotel with good ratings on Trip Advisor for 59 Euro a night. It is teh Budapest Museum Central. A small hotel in downtown, near the Jewish Quarter. Email[email protected] You can check out the review on Trip Advisor.
1,960 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
If you are willing to take some risk by blind bidding, you can get some nice hotels at very reasonable prices in Budapest. I bid on Priceline and booked the Nh Budapest for July 8-11 for just under $66 per night including taxes and booking fees.

If you do decide to bid for a hotel room, I recommend some research at http://www.biddingfortravel.com to develop a bidding strategy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim
2,532 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Don't know when you are going, but we will be staying at the Parliment on July 10-11. Can let you know on our return after 20 July. Can't quote a price because we are using points. This may not be answering your original question of which hotel is used by Avalon. Pat
5 Posts
Joined May 2010
thank you Pacmom, we would like to read your impression. we are going to be there at the end of Sep.
The Avalon T.A offered us the Intercontinental hotel but charged for a standard room (includes the taxes and breakfast) 414$ for one night which we found quite expensive.
Sedona, AZ
1,951 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
We bid through Priceline for a 4 or 5 star hotel on the Pest side and got the Intercontinental for under $100 a night. I don't have the exact figures handy, but it was around $90 a night plus tax. The Intercontinental was very convenient to everything.
If you haven't used Priceline before and want to know more you can go to Better Bidding or Bidding for Travel. Keep in mind your bid is charged right away, and there are no refunds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy and Cliff
Norwegian Pearl Alaska 2017
Norwegian Sun Pacific Coast 2013
AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007
Orlando
351 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We have booked Le Meridien in Budapest for 129 Euro per night for our precruise in August. This includes breakfast, upgrade to deluxe room if available and fruit basket. We used the AmEx Platinum Fine Hotels program for this. Location is really good and rooms are gorgeous. We have also stayed at the Marriott Executive Apartments which is in a great location and the rooms are all suites with a living room, bedroom and small kitchen. Breakfast and views aren't so great but it's still good value. We have also booked a room at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy for our last night...this is rated #1 hotel in Budapest on TripAdvisor. Rate was 80 Euro with breakfast. Check out Trip Advisor for information on the hotels. You will notice that many of the hotels are now offering a special rate for nonrefundable payment in advance. I'm glad we didn't go for these as we had to cancel our trip in April due to the volcano and would have lost our payment if we had booked that way. As it was, we were not charged when we had to cancel.
Orlando, FL
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
There is an interesting sounding Bed and Breakfast in the Jewish Quarter named BudaBaB owned by 2 Americans now living in Budapest that Frommer's recommends. Does anyone know about it?
MILWAUKEE
58 Posts
Joined May 2001

“Great location, good value. Cigarette smoke a bit bothersome.”

4 of 5 stars
Sarita Seattle 19 contributions
Seattle, Washington
Sep 29, 2009 | Trip type: Couples

It's a breeze getting from BudaBaB to anywhere else in Budapest you might want to go either on foot or via the metro. The room and facilities were nice, the breakfasts delicious, and the hosts were pleasant. Really, my only fault was that they both smoked rather heavily, and even with our bedroom door closed, it still seeped in. Of course, it seemed everyone in Budapest smoked, so there was really no getting away from it. The bar/nightclub across the street could get a little noisy, but it was still quiteer than our place in Seattle!

“Returning to BudaBaB after a long day of exploring the city feels like coming home.”

5 of 5 stars

quikchange 3 contributions
Montreal, Canada
Aug 20, 2009 | Trip type: Friends getaway

Located in the old Jewish quarter, BudaBaB is a very short walk from the subway line and surrounded by restaurants catering to all price ranges. ATMs are close at hand too. The bathroom is clean and the plumbing works well. Breakfast is free and delicious. There's free wifi and a fats computer available for use if you didn't bring a laptop. But the best part is that the hosts are native English speakers who have spent years discovering all the great things about Budapest and are always delighted to share their knowledge of the city. more
15,142 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Jesterscourt
There is an interesting sounding Bed and Breakfast in the Jewish Quarter named BudaBaB owned by 2 Americans now living in Budapest that Frommer's recommends. Does anyone know about it?
The very best B&B in Budapest is the Kapital Inn. It is one of the few places that totally deserves its high ratings at tripadvisor.com. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Orlando, FL
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Thank you very much for the tip on the Kapital Inn. I also read about it in Rick Steves' Eastern Europe guidebook. I have been emailing the owner, Peter, who actually spent some time in Boston, so it has been fun (I guess he's rooting for the Celtics!). It looks like it is located near K+K Opera which also came highly recommended on Cruise Critic.
Coconut Grove, FL
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
We stayed at the Sofitel and the Marriot, and the Marriot won, hands down!

There is a Hilton on the Buda side that is supposed to be very nice, but we did not go in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha

1993 Ocean Pearl Far East
1994 R 1 Seychelles
1995 Marco Polo Burma
1996 Marco Polo Singapore
1997 Paul Gaugin French Polynesia
1998 Crown Odyssey Inaugural Medit.
1999/2000 Marco Polo Millenium Antarctica
2001 Silversea Shadow Viet Nam
2002 Seaborne Legend B2B Transatlantic
2003 Silversea Cloud B2BTransatlantic
2004 Marco Polo Scandinavia
2005 Norwegian Wind Hawaii
2005 Silversea Wind 2B2B Middle East
2006 Silversea Wind 3B2B Transatlantic (100+ Days on SS)
2007 Oosterdam Alaska
Nov-Dec 2007 Regent Mariner Aust/NZ/LA B2B
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Mumbai-Capetown
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Capetown-Rio de Janeiro (100+ Days on RSSC)
Dec 2009 Regent Voyager Rio-Fort Lauderdale
April 2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera
May 2010 Amadolce River Cruise Paris-Budapest
Oct-Dec 2010 Silversea Prince Albert II (now the Silver Explorer): Costa Rica to Chilean Fjords to Antarctica (the 7 week Marriage Test)
Mar 2011 Regent Navigator FLL-FLL
April 2011 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean
Sept 2011 Silversea Shadow 3 B2B Asia
April-May 2012 Regent Voyager 3 B2B Athens-Rome
Oct-Nov 2012 Colonial Harbors Regent Navigator Montreal-Miami
April 5-May 1, 2013 Silversea Whisper Capetown to FLL
June 2013 Celebrity Solstice Alaska
June 2014 Viking Gullveig Amsterdam-Basel
June-July 2014 Silver Discoverer Otaru (Sapporo)-Seward
October 2014 Silver Explorer French Polynesia
January 5-May 1, 2015 World Cruise Silversea Whisper LA-FLL
Sept 2016 Silver Whisper Southampton-Montreal
April 2017 Azamara Quest TA Miami-Barcelona

All 50 states, Canada, South Africa, Cuba, China, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand
Can frequently be found in The Cayman Islands...
Calgary, AB, Canada & Phoenix AZ
560 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I spent many months working in Budapest a few years ago, and can recommend the downtown 4* Mercure Korona, very near the Museum and a 5-minute walk to the Vaci Utca (pedestrial mall) near the Danube. I don't know what it has been like lately, but it was very nice and upscale when I was there on an extended stay. The Marriott near the Danube river is also very good, as are any of the major hotels facing the river on the Buda side. Many hotels on the Pest side are great choices, but IMHO the best area for walking about, shopping, and restaurants is on the Buda side near the river - the Vaci Utca area. I seem to remember the Pest side as mostly residential, but maybe that has changed. Hope that helps.

I'm jealous, I wish I was going back there! I used to sit on the terrace of the river-side hotels watching the river cruise-boats come in & out. Budapest is truly an enchanting city.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan

NCL - Caribbean (1988)
Olympia - Greek Isles (1996)
HAL Rotterdam - Mediterranean (1999)
HAL Rotterdam - Alaska (2005)
Regent Mariner - Panama/S.America (2011)
Regent Voyager - NZ/Australia (2013)
Orlando
351 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Vaci Utca is on the Pest side. The Buda side is the hilly side where you will find the Hilton near the Matthias church. Personally, I prefer the Pest side which is what I think you were trying to say...