hotel in budapest

r15il

we are going to Avalon cruise ended in Budapest.

can you advise me as to hotel for the post-cruise?

thank you:confused:

Last Fall we stayed at the Marriott...very nice stay!

Close to everything and nice rooms.

Nothing dramatic in terms of the rooms themselves...other than all rooms face the Danube.

We would stay there again.

If price and location is important we found an inexpensive hotel with good ratings on Trip Advisor for 59 Euro a night. It is teh Budapest Museum Central. A small hotel in downtown, near the Jewish Quarter. Email:office@centralbudapesthotels.com. You can check out the review on Trip Advisor.

If you are willing to take some risk by blind bidding, you can get some nice hotels at very reasonable prices in Budapest. I bid on Priceline and booked the Nh Budapest for July 8-11 for just under $66 per night including taxes and booking fees.

If you do decide to bid for a hotel room, I recommend some research at http://www.biddingfortravel.com to develop a bidding strategy.

Don't know when you are going, but we will be staying at the Parliment on July 10-11. Can let you know on our return after 20 July. Can't quote a price because we are using points. This may not be answering your original question of which hotel is used by Avalon. Pat

thank you Pacmom, we would like to read your impression. we are going to be there at the end of Sep.

The Avalon T.A offered us the Intercontinental hotel but charged for a standard room (includes the taxes and breakfast) 414$ for one night which we found quite expensive.

We bid through Priceline for a 4 or 5 star hotel on the Pest side and got the Intercontinental for under $100 a night. I don't have the exact figures handy, but it was around $90 a night plus tax. The Intercontinental was very convenient to everything.

If you haven't used Priceline before and want to know more you can go to Better Bidding or Bidding for Travel. Keep in mind your bid is charged right away, and there are no refunds.

We have booked Le Meridien in Budapest for 129 Euro per night for our precruise in August. This includes breakfast, upgrade to deluxe room if available and fruit basket. We used the AmEx Platinum Fine Hotels program for this. Location is really good and rooms are gorgeous. We have also stayed at the Marriott Executive Apartments which is in a great location and the rooms are all suites with a living room, bedroom and small kitchen. Breakfast and views aren't so great but it's still good value. We have also booked a room at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy for our last night...this is rated #1 hotel in Budapest on TripAdvisor. Rate was 80 Euro with breakfast. Check out Trip Advisor for information on the hotels. You will notice that many of the hotels are now offering a special rate for nonrefundable payment in advance. I'm glad we didn't go for these as we had to cancel our trip in April due to the volcano and would have lost our payment if we had booked that way. As it was, we were not charged when we had to cancel.

“Great location, good value. Cigarette smoke a bit bothersome.”

4 of 5 stars

Sarita Seattle 19 contributions

Seattle, Washington

Sep 29, 2009 | Trip type: Couples

It's a breeze getting from BudaBaB to anywhere else in Budapest you might want to go either on foot or via the metro. The room and facilities were nice, the breakfasts delicious, and the hosts were pleasant. Really, my only fault was that they both smoked rather heavily, and even with our bedroom door closed, it still seeped in. Of course, it seemed everyone in Budapest smoked, so there was really no getting away from it. The bar/nightclub across the street could get a little noisy, but it was still quiteer than our place in Seattle!

“Returning to BudaBaB after a long day of exploring the city feels like coming home.”

5 of 5 stars

quikchange 3 contributions

Montreal, Canada

Aug 20, 2009 | Trip type: Friends getaway

Located in the old Jewish quarter, BudaBaB is a very short walk from the subway line and surrounded by restaurants catering to all price ranges. ATMs are close at hand too. The bathroom is clean and the plumbing works well. Breakfast is free and delicious. There's free wifi and a fats computer available for use if you didn't bring a laptop. But the best part is that the hosts are native English speakers who have spent years discovering all the great things about Budapest and are always delighted to share their knowledge of the city. more

There is an interesting sounding Bed and Breakfast in the Jewish Quarter named BudaBaB owned by 2 Americans now living in Budapest that Frommer's recommends. Does anyone know about it?

The very best B&B in Budapest is the Kapital Inn. It is one of the few places that totally deserves its high ratings at tripadvisor.com. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thank you very much for the tip on the Kapital Inn. I also read about it in Rick Steves' Eastern Europe guidebook. I have been emailing the owner, Peter, who actually spent some time in Boston, so it has been fun (I guess he's rooting for the Celtics!). It looks like it is located near K+K Opera which also came highly recommended on Cruise Critic.

I spent many months working in Budapest a few years ago, and can recommend the downtown 4* Mercure Korona, very near the Museum and a 5-minute walk to the Vaci Utca (pedestrial mall) near the Danube. I don't know what it has been like lately, but it was very nice and upscale when I was there on an extended stay. The Marriott near the Danube river is also very good, as are any of the major hotels facing the river on the Buda side. Many hotels on the Pest side are great choices, but IMHO the best area for walking about, shopping, and restaurants is on the Buda side near the river - the Vaci Utca area. I seem to remember the Pest side as mostly residential, but maybe that has changed. Hope that helps.

I'm jealous, I wish I was going back there! I used to sit on the terrace of the river-side hotels watching the river cruise-boats come in & out. Budapest is truly an enchanting city.

Vaci Utca is on the Pest side. The Buda side is the hilly side where you will find the Hilton near the Matthias church. Personally, I prefer the Pest side which is what I think you were trying to say...

Vaci Utca is on the Pest side. The Buda side is the hilly side where you will find the Hilton near the Matthias church. Personally, I prefer the Pest side which is what I think you were trying to say...

Yes, sorry, I got them mixed up - its been a few years since I was there, so I probably just confused everyone! :p Anyway, the downtown area near Vaci Utca is the very best place to be, for sure. Budapest (on the Pest side) is very walkable. The other side, as you say, is hilly and to see the great sights there, you really need a vehicle (or tour).

We just finished the Avalon cruise and ended in Budapest. We stayed at the Intercontinental. The buffet breakfast is amazing. We walked with our luggage from the ship right to the hotel. We docked almost in front of the hotel. Have a wonderful cruise----we LOVED it.:D

Boubie (what, no Zeide?), that is an amazing bit of information on the Intercontinental Hotel. While not being as exotic as some of the B&B's and smaller pensiones we have been discussing, it sounds like a perfect location right on the esplenade by the Chain Bridge with views of the passing boats and Buda across the way. Were you able to negotiate a decent rate?

• 7 months later...

We posted this as a response to previous question on this board

If price and location is important we found an inexpensive hotel with good ratings on Trip Advisor for 59 Euro a night. It is the Budapest Museum Central. A small hotel in downtown, near the Jewish Quarter, with an excellent choice of near by resturants. The room was more than adequate for one night, with a bathroom, and TV. Breakfast is provide and the people are extremely helpful. You would have to take a cab from the dock to the hotel. Their email is office@centralbudapesthotels.com. You can check out their reviews on Trip Advisor. One word of warning: it is located on the third floor of the building and while there is an elevator, it only runs from the second floor!!

Archived