Charlottetown PEI Car Rental

My wife and I have picked our Princess shore excursions and do-it-yourself trips but need a little help. In Charlottetown, we would like to rent a car to check out some lighthouses and Anne of Green Gables house. Looked them up online but none appear to be near the port. Which is the best car rental company to go with?

I posted this on the Crown Princess Roll Call section also - thanks.

I saw good rates with National. And I understand that they have a kiosk or something by the pier. A local Charlottetown directory backed this up.

This is one of my first choices, but unfortunately, National's website only indicates an airport location.

National, can you help us with this?

We rented with Enterprise (I am pretty sure) they had a location near the airport. It was a last minute decision when we got to the info kiosk, so we called from there and they picked us up. We had unlimited mileage and we eneded up seeing all we wanted and more. We headed to North Rustico, then to Green Gables house, then to the Confederation bridge, and then towards the port. We saw all kinds of beautiful scenery and it was way cheaper than any of the excursions. Highly recommended.

We rented with Enterprise (I am pretty sure) they had a location near the airport. It was a last minute decision when we got to the info kiosk, so we called from there and they picked us up. We had unlimited mileage and we eneded up seeing all we wanted and more. We headed to North Rustico, then to Green Gables house, then to the Confederation bridge, and then towards the port. We saw all kinds of beautiful scenery and it was way cheaper than any of the excursions. Highly recommended.

This sounds like the trip we would like to follow.

Question: Where is the location of the Green Gables house? Looking it up, I get three different locations. One - in Charlottetown / Two - in Cavendish / Three - in Ontario

This sounds like the trip we would like to follow.

Question: Where is the location of the Green Gables house? Looking it up, I get three different locations. One - in Charlottetown / Two - in Cavendish / Three - in Ontario

The Green Gables Heritage Site is in Cavendish on the north shore near the PEI National Park. This house was the one in which the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, spent much of her childhood and is believed to be the house upon which she based Green Gables in her book. There are other museums and sites which have a connection to the author or her stories. Montgomery did live in Ontario after she married so there are connections there as well. Of course poor Anne is milked for all she's worth to extract dollars from tourists so the name is applied to numerous attractions.

If you are a big fan then I would suggest doing Day One of the Anne Itinerary put together by PEI Tourism. http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-anne-itinerary

The Green Gables Heritage Site is in Cavendish on the north shore near the PEI National Park. This house was the one in which the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, spent much of her childhood and is believed to be the house upon which she based Green Gables in her book. There are other museums and sites which have a connection to the author or her stories. Montgomery did live in Ontario after she married so there are connections there as well. Of course poor Anne is milked for all she's worth to extract dollars from tourists so the name is applied to numerous attractions.

If you are a big fan then I would suggest doing Day One of the Anne Itinerary put together by PEI Tourism. http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-anne-itinerary

Thanks, this was the information I was looking for. Wife is a fan but she wants to see as much of the island as we can. Looking for great places to take some pictures.

Thanks for the post on the Trip Advisor site also.

Thanks, this was the information I was looking for. Wife is a fan but she wants to see as much of the island as we can. Looking for great places to take some pictures.

Thanks for the post on the Trip Advisor site also.

You're welcome. If you're looking for sights beyond Anneland, I've given a link to a route map and a link to PEI tourism Central Touring Region information on post 6 in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250240 Have fun!

My wife and I have picked our Princess shore excursions and do-it-yourself trips but need a little help. In Charlottetown, we would like to rent a car to check out some lighthouses and Anne of Green Gables house. Looked them up online but none appear to be near the port. Which is the best car rental company to go with?

We just rented from Budget and they meet the ship, Rent from location y41.

Still confused about getting and returning the car in Charlottetown. I can not get the online Budget reservation to accept y41 (as suggested above). It would be great if pick up and deliver from pier. How did you arrange for this before hand? Thanks to you locals or past renters who can help with this.

Try the Discount near the airport (I looked at a map that is who we actually used). They met us at the ship and then dropped us off after back at the top of town so we could wander our way back to the ship. Nice little G6, used hardly any fuel. It was perfect.

Enterprise is 8 short blocks walk from the cruise ship pier (walk up Queens St.) or you can request to have them pick you up. Their rates are with unlimited miles. The others I checked with in town locations limited free miles to approx. 200 Km....not enough if you plan on seeing as much of the island as possible....extra miles were between .15 and .20 per Km. or about $.35 per extra mile.

• 2 weeks later...
I just book a car from Budget (Y41) for 20$ plus tax for 7 hours. We don't plan on driving that far, so the 150km limit is fine with us.

Were you able to contact them to arrange a pickup at the port or will you walk to their location? I have also arranged a car from Budget but I can't contact anyone to arrange a port pickup.

Several of us have cars for Charlottetown rented from Budget and they assure us that they will have vans waiting to take us to the office. I believe they told one of our roll call that they would bring the bus from the airport. Oh well can hope. It is less than a mile if we need to walk it.

IMHO, it is a better deal to spend a few bucks more and rent from someone else who will have the car waiting for you when you walk off the boat, than to go for a $20 deal that includes a van ride both ways. We used Enterprise, as I recall, but what I remember was the guy with the clipboard waiting for us as we came out of the cruise terminal; a signature, an exchange of keys, and we were off. Drop-off was as simple as locking the keys in the car and walking to the boat; if we were depending on someone else's van, we would probably have cut our day 45-60 minutes shorter to allow for van travel time and delay (eg, holding the van until it is full before departing for the dock).

When you do get your car, I suggest going all the way north and then east to Stanhope. We were there at the end of May and there wasn't a soul on that road but us. You can walk right up to the North Shore's red sand and lighthouses.

IMGP0402.JPG

IMGP0405.JPG

I'm wondering if there's anyone interested in sharing a car rental for the Oct. 2 QC to NYC cruise at PEI or one of the other ports. We did this in South America and had a great experience. My husband and I are quite flexible - we just want to see a bit of the country outside the port in Charlotte and maybe one of the other Canadian ports. We've been to Halifax before, but I'd like to see the Peggy's Cove lighthouse without spending a fortune on a Costa bus.:eek:

The Lockes of Texas

Archived