Vancouver skytrain with luggage? Walking to the terminal?

Emily626

Hi all,

DH and I just booked our hotel in Vancouver. We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle on Hastings and Thurlow. The skytrain station is only .3 miles from the hotel and we have decided to fly into YVR. So - it appears as though the skytrain from YVR to waterfront is a great option to get to our hotel. But, I am worried about our luggage? Obviously, it the train goes to the airport many people have luggage in tow - but will we be at a safety risk because we are targeted as "tourists" with all our luggage? Or will our luggage be a burden for the 25 mins ride? Has anyone done this?

Also - it descibes the hotel as "steps" from the cuise terminal - but with luggage in tow would it be wiser to get a cab to head to the terminal? Or is it a pretty easy walk?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Also - it descibes the hotel as "steps" from the cuise terminal - but with luggage in tow would it be wiser to get a cab to head to the terminal? Or is it a pretty easy walk?

Thanks!

We have stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle a couple of times --- nice hotel. I would have to disagree with the comment "steps" from the cruise terminal --- the Pan Pacific yes, but not the Pinnacle. We get a cab whenever we stay at the Pinnacle.

Karen

We have stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle a couple of times --- nice hotel. I would have to disagree with the comment "steps" from the cruise terminal --- the Pan Pacific yes, but not the Pinnacle. We get a cab whenever we stay at the Pinnacle.

Karen

Looking at the map - I figured that was the case! :D

Was your cab from the hotel to port reasonable?

Looking at the map - I figured that was the case! :D

Was your cab from the hotel to port reasonable?

I believe it was around $8; it was a couple of years ago. If you go on the "Ports of Call" board --- Canada and ask your questions, I am sure they will be able to provide some current information --- they are a great group over there.

Karen

As for taking the train from the airport to hotel, I have done it. Honestly, I don't think I'd do it in the evenings/night, so whether I'd cab or train again would be dependent on when my flight arrived. I tend to be overly-cautious in unfamiliar cities, especially when I'm travelling on my own. BUT even if DH were with me, I think I'd take a cab after dark :) We live in a small town, and I'm intimidated by cities :)

For info I had two rolling suitcases, one of which decided it didn't have to listen to me, so getting on and off the skytrain was a bit of a challenge. But a cooperative suitcase would have helped. If you get dropped off at the Waterfront station stop, you have a bit of an uphill walk to the hotel IIRC. The fare from YVR is $8.75 per person I believe. A cab costs about $30-$35.

As for taking the train from the airport to hotel, I have done it. Honestly, I don't think I'd do it in the evenings/night, so whether I'd cab or train again would be dependent on when my flight arrived. I tend to be overly-cautious in unfamiliar cities, especially when I'm travelling on my own. BUT even if DH were with me, I think I'd take a cab after dark :) We live in a small town, and I'm intimidated by cities :)

Thanks! This is the information I was looking for! Out here in Indianapolis we dont have a whole lot of mass transit - unless you count the soccer moms in SUVS driving like they are on the Indy Speedway.......:D So - we are not super familiar with this type of transportation anyways - let alone with luggage in tow......the savings doesn't seem that significant that it would be worth the hassle........

• 1 year later...

Emily, I wondered if you decided to try this? We are considering doing that also. We are staying at the L'Hermitage and would get off at the City Centre, 3 blocks from our hotel. I was wondering if you tried the SkyTrain and how that went with your luggage? Thanks! Ruth

last summer I took the train from downtown Vancouver (we stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver) to the airport with no problem. I was with my three kids (ages 10, 10 and 8) and we had two large rolling bags, one hand held bag and the kids all had their backpacks. We had no problem managing the train stations as they had elavators and the aisle and doors of the train were quite wide. We left downtown Vancouver at 6:00 am and had felt perfectly safe on the train. There were lots of people with luggage heading to the airport. The train was faster than a cab and only costa few dollars. Train travel is very common in big cities and having luggage on the train will not make you stand out.

Hi all,

DH and I just booked our hotel in Vancouver. We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle on Hastings and Thurlow. The skytrain station is only .3 miles from the hotel and we have decided to fly into YVR. So - it appears as though the skytrain from YVR to waterfront is a great option to get to our hotel. But, I am worried about our luggage? Obviously, it the train goes to the airport many people have luggage in tow - but will we be at a safety risk because we are targeted as "tourists" with all our luggage? Or will our luggage be a burden for the 25 mins ride? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

You will not be 'at a safety risk' on the sky train. Vancouver is a safe place to travel. On the other hand a cab is more convenient. Depends on whether or not you wan't to experience a city or merely pass through.

Hi all,

Thanks!

The Pinnacle is at least 1/4+ mile from Canada Place. I wouldn't walk it with luggage.

I wouldn't say "don't walk it" because it really depends on one's ability to handle their luggage however, from Waterfront Station (where the Canada Line arrives from the airport) to the Marriott Pinnacle it is the best part of a 6 block walk...all pretty level. From hotel back to Canada Place it is about a 4 block walk...again pretty level. If those distances are not a problem for a person then by all means do it. Safety is not a concern at all you are walking the entire distance in an office building and hotel environment.

Hi all,

Thanks!

My word of advice is when you get to Waterfront station, don't follow the crowd down the long tunnel into the station complex, but instead use the elevator right on the platform marked "EXIT TO GRANVILLE", which puts you out at the corner of W.Hastings and Granville. This will save you about 4 blocks of walking (because the tunnel heads exactly the wrong way).

Thanks! This is the information I was looking for! Out here in Indianapolis we dont have a whole lot of mass transit - unless you count the soccer moms in SUVS driving like they are on the Indy Speedway.......:D So - we are not super familiar with this type of transportation anyways - let alone with luggage in tow......the savings doesn't seem that significant that it would be worth the hassle........

I grew up in Vancouver and now live in a different city but frequently travel to Vancouver. I would not have a concern about taking luggage on Skytrain from a safety or logistics perspective. Canada Line (the line that goes from the airport to downtown) uses cars that are a bit wider and the layout is assuming a fair bit of airport traffic. Both stations are at the end of the line in both directions, so when you get on the trains will be empty or start to empty out. So you are not going to be bumping into people to get to a door.

The Skytrain Expo and Millennium line (not needed on your route) are a bit narrower.

I don't think you will be able to tell the difference between tourists or locals traveling to/from the airport. That said, you still need to get to your hotel and that may be more difficult if you are not close to a stations.

This is a very helpful board. This will be our first time traveling to Vancouver and we were considering the SkyTrain to downtown from the airport. My other question is hotel recommendations within walking distance to the port terminal, but that may be in a different thread. :)

This is a very helpful board. This will be our first time traveling to Vancouver and we were considering the SkyTrain to downtown from the airport. My other question is hotel recommendations within walking distance to the port terminal, but that may be in a different thread. :)

Hotels within walking distance of Canada Place would include:

Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

The Tower and the Terminal City Club

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

The Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

The Metropolitan

Le Soleil

Sutton Place

Delta Hotel & Suites

Wedgewood

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

St. Regis*

Days Inn*

* older hotels that have been remodeled

This is not a complete list but a pretty good start, others may be along to add to the list.

• 3 weeks later...
No, it didn't forget about it...I was waiting for you to add it to the list.:D

Even though the original poster has finished her cruise, I thank all you seasoned Vancouver travelers for your posts and we have decided to try the sky train as we want to enjoy this aspect of the city. Hopefully, the walk to L'Hermitage from City Center is not too bad and I feel much better about the whole thing now. Thank you. And you are funny too!!

Even though the original poster has finished her cruise, I thank all you seasoned Vancouver travelers for your posts and we have decided to try the sky train as we want to enjoy this aspect of the city. Hopefully, the walk to L'Hermitage from City Center is not too bad and I feel much better about the whole thing now. Thank you. And you are funny too!!

It is about a 4 block walk, level, and perfectly safe...as long as you have reasonable mobility you should not have a problem.

Before the Canada Line came into service you didn't see a lot of people wheeling luggage around downtown Vancouver except to get from the hotel to a taxi - now daily you see lot's of people wheeling their luggage through the streets from the Canada Line stations to their hotels.

When you get off the Canada Line and come into the station don't go into the Malls - take the elevator or escalator up to street level - that is Georgia street - go right two blocks east on on Georgia - turn right on Richards and a half block down on the left hand side is your hotel.

Enjoy your visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Before the Canada Line came into service you didn't see a lot of people wheeling luggage around downtown Vancouver except to get from the hotel to a taxi - now daily you see lot's of people wheeling their luggage through the streets from the Canada Line stations to their hotels.

When you get off the Canada Line and come into the station don't go into the Malls - take the elevator or escalator up to street level - that is Georgia street - go right two blocks east on on Georgia - turn right on Richards and a half block down on the left hand side is your hotel.

Enjoy your visit.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm a bit confused.

I'll be taking the sky train from the airport. I printed out Google Maps of the area. Does the train leave me at the Water front station southbound at W Hastings and Granville (where I'd take the elevator to the street corner and head to Canada Place (carry-on only) ) or another station?

I think the post above is in relation to getting off at City Centre station (one stop before Waterfront). If you're going to l'Hermitage this is the closest station to the hotel, hence the directions given to walk there.

If you stay on until the end of the line you will indeed finish up at Waterfront Station, but you'll be on the Northbound platform of the Canada Line - Scottbee can probably tell you exactly which escalator/stairwell is best to use depending where you're going; Waterfront is a bit of a labyrinth as it has multiple Skytrain lines as well as commuter trains, Seabus and even a route to the heliport...

I'm a bit confused.

I'll be taking the sky train from the airport. I printed out Google Maps of the area. Does the train leave me at the Water front station southbound at W Hastings and Granville (where I'd take the elevator to the street corner and head to Canada Place (carry-on only) ) or another station?

There are two exits from the Canada Line Waterfront station. The one you want is the elevator right on the platform, which puts you at the corner of W.Hastings and Granville. Don't follow the crowd down the tunnel (opposite end of platform) which will take you into the Waterfront station complex.

This is the exit you want off the platform: https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371855348978723922

Archived