Belize safe??

rabbit72

My boyfriend and I were in Belize last winter on the splendor. We did an excursion with cave-tubing.com, it's an independent company and it was really great. We felt really safe and taken care of the whole time. We did cave-tubing and ziplining. When we got dropped off at the port on our return we walked around the shops and felt very comfortable there too. From what I was told on the tour and what I saw this would not be a port to venture out on your own by foot.

We have heard that Belize was unsafe for years, but on one of our cruises my husband and I walked out of the port area down through Belize City to the water taxi terminal, we were going to Caye Caulker. Everyone we met was friendly and courteous. Several asked us if we needed directions, we told them we were headed to the water taxi and knew where we were going (we had a map and it was easy to follow), but everyone pointed us in the right direction anyway! We never felt uncomfortable. Yes, it's a very poor area, but the friendliness was outstanding.

Been there twice. Personally I wouldn't wonder around without the company of others. Stay with a group or go on an exursion.

"U.S. Embassy officials urge visitors to Belize to travel only in groups, only during the day; avoid wearing jewelry or carrying valuables."

Nuff said?:eek:

The area outside the port area is not set up for tourists. If you take a excursion traveling through the city, you will see both children in school uniforms walking to school and groups of men gathered on corners. Tourists, especially women, may be subject to harassment, pestering or petty theft. If you are subject to a mugging since nefarious natives will know you are rich cruise passengers with cash, cameras, smart phones, you will not find the police sympathetic.

Thanks for the responses. We aren't new to the islands just Belize. It sounds like an island we'd enjoy.

FYI Belize is not an island. It is a nation in Central America, formerly called British Honduras. There are lots of good things to do there including cave tubing, snorkeling, and visiting some amazing Mayan ruins. However, there are no beaches except for the ones on the cays. Enjoy!

Edited by cruise pup

MAP of Belize

gtb-map-tourist-belize-karte.jpg

Belize has a Mainland, basically nothing but jungle with very few small towns. Then there are the thousands of small islands off the coast, along the barrier reef, and outside of it.

Best way to see Belize is to take an excursion...either out to Mainland jungle for ruins, or river tubing, etc. Or take an excursion to an island.

Edited by ABQrobin

• 2 weeks later...
FYI Belize is not an island. It is a nation in Central America, formerly called British Honduras. There are lots of good things to do there including cave tubing, snorkeling, and visiting some amazing Mayan ruins. However, there are no beaches except for the ones on the cays. Enjoy![/quote

I should have worded it deifferently...I know it's not an island, I just meant we have been to a lot of the ports and wouldn't be shocked at most of it.

Was in Belize last week. No, we did not feel safe outside the port area. In fact, our taxi driver stopped to pick up his dinner, (another story) and yelled at some obvious tourists that it wasn't safe to be walking in that area! :eek: I think if you are on an organized tour you will be fine, but wouldn't recommend going it alone. Also, in the Princess Patter is specifically said there were no beach recommendations for Belize City.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read mixed reviews about whether or not it is safe to go outside of O'Hare or MidWay in Chicago, or JFK in NYC, or Dulles in Washington, DC, or LAX in LA, or SFO in San Francisco. Should I fly to these cities?:confused:;p:p

We were there last March. Waiting for excursion at port we decided to walk outside of the port area and see the local scene, went about a block and decided to go back. Didn't feel safe at all.

I don't doubt you in the least but I think the important information to process is the 30,000 expats that live in Belize and 1.3 tourists that go to Belize every year

We were there last March. Waiting for excursion at port we decided to walk outside of the port area and see the local scene, went about a block and decided to go back. Didn't feel safe at all.

What you see directly in front of the tender pier area, and especially to your left as you exit, is the congregation of tour excursion hawkers, attempting to get you to take a tour with their company. No different than many cruise ports on Caribbean islands and certainly 1000X better than any city in India. ;p Go right and they aren't there. Go two blocks and they disappear and you'll find just cruisers or locals going about their daily business. Walk around the Fort George area or across the swing bridge and down Albert Street or have lunch at Annie's Lunchbox or Nerie's and you may meet friendly local folks.

Belize City is pretty average for Central America. Crime exists, but usually only if you flash a lot of valuables. I speak spanish, and never felt in danger, or needed to walk in groups.

I went for a week a decade ago, with two days in Belize City and 5 days on Caye Caulker. The islands, snorkeling and so forth are a lot more interesting than Belize City.

Lots of Canadian snowbirds down for the winter.

Totally different feel if you get out to a place like Caye Caulker. We took a water taxi there and walked around the whole day and it remains my favorite cruise stop. Hope to retire to Caulker or Ambergris Caye someday.

Quite a few years ago we were staying at the Fort George Hotel and went for a walk to the swing bridge and up to Brodies , passed by a local who asked if we were looking for marijuana :eek:. He didn't seem bothered when we said no and walked quickly by !

We have heard that Belize was unsafe for years, but on one of our cruises my husband and I walked out of the port area down through Belize City to the water taxi terminal, we were going to Caye Caulker. Everyone we met was friendly and courteous. Several asked us if we needed directions, we told them we were headed to the water taxi and knew where we were going (we had a map and it was easy to follow), but everyone pointed us in the right direction anyway! We never felt uncomfortable. Yes, it's a very poor area, but the friendliness was outstanding.

I also was there last Feb...

I completely agree. I even mentioned this about being there to my DW

I think all the locals get it. this boat thing can feed them all if they are not stupid..

ANYWHERE can be unsafe, if you are not careful and familiar w your surroundings.

liked it so much.. as u can see in my countdown clock..

heading back again next Feb.!! yea baby.. Cruis'in It's a state of mine.:D

• 11 months later...
there are about 30,000 north american expats living in Belize and 1.3 million tourists went there in 2015 so Belize is plenty safe.

How about the couple guys robbed at gun point just outside the port's gate? :confused: