good tapas bars in Barcelona?

We are spending the day in Barcelona on a Med. cruise and I have read some reviews of local tapas type restaurants in town. I understand that some of the food is not appealing to Americans..more to the liking of the locals. Has anyone been to a "normal food" tapas bar that serves beef, chicken, olives, potatoes, etc.-nothing weird? Please advise as to the names of these great bars that don't serve animal stomachs or brains etc. and please list their street location. We plan to do the HOHO bus and definitely want to try a few spots along the way if possible.Sorry to be picky but we don't want any gastronomical surprises!

Thanks!

Jerseyjill

I think you may be worrying unnecessarily (or someone is pulling your leg). I ate in several Tapas bars in Barcelona and certainly didn't find anything as exotic as stomachs or brains on the menu, although brains are served as a delicacy in many countries, certainly.

You can usually either ask to see a menu or in some restaurants you can actually see the tapas themselves in warming trays at the bar area.

Perhaps reading this will make you feel more comfortable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapas

Cynthia, Thanks so much for the informative advice. I guess I have been watching too many Food Channel shows on "freaky food finds"! I will try to find "normal" items wherever we wind up. Can you recommend any particular places you've eaten in? Thanks, Jill

Try Txapella on the passeig de gracia - very modern place. Also Euskal Etxea on calle Montcada. Both are Basque - you pay according to the number of toothpicks on your plate (each "pintxo" has a toothpick in it - served on bread)

But, as you are in Spain, why not try some real delicacies, you might like them once you have tasted them....

zarajo - sheep's intestine on a stick

oreja de cerdo - pig's ear

callos - tripe

Make a note so you can ask for them!:eek:

Steve

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2789828-cal_pep_barcelona-i

A fantastic restaurant. My wife and I enjoyed lunch there, on a recent short break.

We had to wait about 45 mins for a seat at this long bar, but boy was it worth it! The bar is frequented by locals and visitors alike and we say many different guidbooks in customers hands.

We asked the staff to bring us some typical dishes and we weren't disappointed. We then chose other dishes that we saw and liked the look of. We ate and drank far too much, but the bill came to only 95 euros. We ate like royalty. The atmosphere is also superb.

Cynthia, Thanks so much for the informative advice. I guess I have been watching too many Food Channel shows on "freaky food finds"! I will try to find "normal" items wherever we wind up. Can you recommend any particular places you've eaten in? Thanks, Jill

My favorite place was in the Placa del Pi (just off Las Ramblas), across from the church. I had an excellent dinner there, including cava and dessert, that makes me sorry I'm not there right now.

Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the place but it was quite crowded in the evening and I think if you made it to Placa del Pi you'd easily be able to locate it.

Hi,

Has anyone had tapas at the place on the roof of El Corte Ingles in the Placa Catalunya? We have heard they are good and that there is a nice view from up there. Can anyone confirm that?

corte-ingles.jpg

John

View is great, but food is nothing special in the cafe part (it's OK for a coffee and an ensaimada).

Archived