entrance to Canada with minor traffic violations

I seem to remember that Canada checked entire cruise ship passenger lists and refused entry to anyone with an offense, sometimes a little as a traffic conviction. Has anyone had experience with this lately? thanks.

You have to have a criminal record, or at least be convicted of what would be a criminal offense in Canada. In the past, drunk driving was considered a traffic problem, but is a criminal offense in Canada. Someone isn't going to be denied entry into Canada for a speeding or parking ticket, unless of course, they didn't pay them and got arrested for that.

DUI or DWI could cause a problem, and to think they are more liberal than the US, go figure.

It works both ways. Canadians with drunk driving convictions have a criminal record and are denied entrance into the US.

• 1 month later...

I am reviving this old thread as it asked my question. My son had a speeding ticket in Canada (BC), he is a US citizen. He tried to pay it but they can't find the record. We are still leary of booking an Alaskan cruise and having him get tuned away (or worse) at the border for an unpaid ticket. You know that it would show up then!

Can anyone give us an idea how to check into this? I don't know where to start.

This topic keeps being raised on various threads and no one can give you a 100% answer as the customs officer has a great deal of discretion as to is admitted or not. A traffic ticket would not prevent a person from entering Canada. A DUI, unless considered a misdemeanour in your state can however as will other criminal convictions. However if the conviction has occured 5 to 10 years out and there have been no subsequent convictions, then generally in the eyes of Canada the person is deemed "rehabilitated" and will be admitted. For better information you should really contact a Canadian Consulate office and discuss the matter with them.

I am reviving this old thread as it asked my question. My son had a speeding ticket in Canada (BC), he is a US citizen. He tried to pay it but they can't find the record. We are still leary of booking an Alaskan cruise and having him get tuned away (or worse) at the border for an unpaid ticket. You know that it would show up then!

Can anyone give us an idea how to check into this? I don't know where to start.

Speeding isn't a criminal offence in Canada. The federal government doesn't have the ability to do anything about a speeding ticket as far as I know. They are not police. They do not have police powers.

Thank you all for your replies. I have some numbers to contact the Canadian authorities. Would like to have something in writing in case there is a problem at the border or on the ship.

Yes, speeding is not a crime. I think the gray area here is about the unpaid ticket in sally r's post. Not sure how our system deals with those. If, and that's a big if, the son's name pops up on the screen with that info, I don't know what the officer does. It might be something as simple as going into the office and paying it and off you go.

I seem to remember that Canada checked entire cruise ship passenger lists and refused entry to anyone with an offense, sometimes a little as a traffic conviction. Has anyone had experience with this lately? thanks.

A traffic ticket isn't going to be a problem. Canada may (and I emphasize may) turn you back if you have a past criminal conviction, such as a DUI.

The USA on the other hand has been known to refuse entry to people with completely clean records only because they did research into say the affects of narcotics (well known case). As a rule, getting into Canada is somewhat more relaxed than getting into the USA.

A traffic ticket isn't going to be a problem. Canada may (and I emphasize may) turn you back if you have a past criminal conviction, such as a DUI.

The USA on the other hand has been known to refuse entry to people with completely clean records only because they did research into say the affects of narcotics (well known case). As a rule, getting into Canada is somewhat more relaxed than getting into the USA.

What well known case? The first thing that popped in my mind when you said that was Marc Emery, who does a lot more than research. He is big news here because he started his craze from London decades ago before moving to Vancouver. Doing research on narcotics is a far cry from selling marijuana seeds over the internet and smoking joints on the front steps of police stations trying to get yourself arrested.

• 2 weeks later...
What well known case? The first thing that popped in my mind when you said that was Marc Emery, who does a lot more than research. He is big news here because he started his craze from London decades ago before moving to Vancouver. Doing research on narcotics is a far cry from selling marijuana seeds over the internet and smoking joints on the front steps of police stations trying to get yourself arrested.

No, there was a professor from UBC, with a clean criminal record who was denied because he had done research into illegal narcotics.

• 2 months later...

Just back from a short four day cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. We took our two sons, age 27 and 30 from Texas to visit Canada since we all had never been there before. My youngest son had an arrest in 2001 when he was a freshman in college, served his probation and followed all the legal requirements. He was told that his record would not show his charge and that it would be sealed in 10 years.

Early on the first day of our Canadian stop, he was tendered over to Nanaimo without explanation and told that he could not enter Canada, then tendered back to the ship so his cabin could be searched. He then had to travel back over to sign papers saying that he would not attempt to enter again until his record was cleared.

The ship crew was not concerned or helpful about providing any information when we asked (we had booked a full day excursion and was wondering if we would be able to find our son as he was tendered over before 8AM excursion and only told that the Canadians randomly pick people for immigration reasons) They had to know it was for some kind of criminal record!

If you have any questions about who can not enter Canada, be sure to check websites about their rules. They DO NOT tolerate most arrests on your record and they can find it!

You are surprised? He has a criminal record.

We have repeatedly said the same thing, ten years of clean record after the maximum sentence according to Canadian law.

It's a quid pro quo situation where the US government won't sit down and negotiate with the Canadian government in good faith. The US won't accept Canadian pardons, so Canada won't accept US pardons.

Even after his record is sealed he will still legally be required to disclose that he had a criminal record if he visits Canada. He can be refused admission simply for lying about having had one.

Canada has access to the NCIC database because the Bush administration wanted access to Canada's databases. There is no one to blame for this other than the Bush administration that opened up this kettle of worms.

And also remember that George W had to get special permission from the Canadian government to enter Canada because of his DUI back when he was a carefree young adult doing what carefree young adults have been known to do - drink and drive.

Good to see that soft on crime Canada has started to give law and order Americans a dose of there own medicine.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Ephraim. I certainly didn't vote for Bush and I learn a lot from these boards. Just had never heard about difficulty traveling to Canada or I would have studied harder! I live close to Mexico, for heavens sake!

Urban Trekker , I certainly expected someone to pass judgement on my son after I wrote this post and the fact that you are Canadian doesn't surprise me. I don't like the way my government handles things either, I am only one citizen and I do what I can to obey laws and not cause trouble. My son made a stupid mistake, that's it. He is a great young man now.

Archived