Time taken for ship to leave miami port

J P

Morning All!

I am a researcher for a UK TV channel and we are heading across to Miami to embark on a seven day cruise...Does anyone out there know how long it takes for a ship to physically leave Miami port and sail 2-300 meters out to sea?

Any help would be most welcome!

Thankyou in advance :)

I am a little confused about what you are asking?

To get 200-300 meters from the dock takes only a few minutes; even with the slow, careful pace leaving the dock you are talking about 5+ minutes.

To get to "sea" is another matter - requiring the ship to leave the harbor/port area, complete the "sea and anchor detail" and get into "open ocean" takes 30-45+ minutes in Miami.

Different ports have different trips to open ocean. From Baltimore harbor to open seas (past Norfolk, VA) takes 8-10+ hours.

Hi Johnin

This is great thankyou. Both parts of your answer are definitely helpful. I am more interested in the complete "sea and anchor detail" out of Miami port heading towards the Bahamas so will rephrase my question on here.

Thankyou

watch ships leave Miami today here:

http://portmiamiwebcam.com/

and time it yourself

you can also pull up the traffic window on the same screen and get a track with times like this one of an arrival to Port Canaveral

Grantrack_zpsfd18a5b4.jpg

[if you mouse over a 'boat' icon it gives the time of the position report from GPS .... this data comes from marinetraffic.com]

also note that the time can vary by quite a bit. First it depends on where the ship is parked ... a ship at the east end usually gets to sea faster than one at the west end. AND a ship parked at the east end, but facing west (it happens) must typically travel to the west end turning basin ... turn around to face east, THEN travel the full length of the pier area to exit .... this can take an additional 30 minutes . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ