Britannia Review (WIP!)

Florry

Everyone I have spoken to regarding the £75...

...No one said it was a waste of money and they are always oversubscribed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not always oversubscribed on the smaller ships Dai. I have known fellow pax who have done it and said there were only about half a dozen pax on it. I certainly wouldn't even think about paying for this I am afraid.

Not always oversubscribed on the smaller ships Dai. I have known fellow pax who have done it and said there were only about half a dozen pax on it. I certainly wouldn't even think about paying for this I am afraid.

I would but there are many steps. My scooter doesn’t do steps.

Remember the numbers are very limited.

My husband did this trip on, I think it was Oceana. Numbers were restricted to, I think about 10 - 12. They went all over the ship, backstage at the theatre, food storage area, galley etc. etc. It took about 3 hours. It ended up with champagne and canapes with the Captain and he came back with a photo taken on the bridge plus some other oddments. He said it was well worth the money and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Everyone I have spoken to regarding the £75 tour said it was fantastic and covered everything, perhaps not the engines themselves. Each department was introduced by the most senior officer for that area.

No one said it was a waste of money and they are always oversubscribed.

You spend your life disagreeing with people.

For me, £75 is a ridiculous price and if you don't like me having my opinion then that's too bad and, incidentally, I didn't say I wanted to solicit third hand opinions on the tour.

You spend your life disagreeing with people.

For me, £75 is a ridiculous price and if you don't like me having my opinion then that's too bad and, incidentally, I didn't say I wanted to solicit third hand opinions on the tour.

Well don’t reply if you are so grumpy. I am only saying what I have observed. Am I not allowed to make comment.

Am I not allowed to make comment when I do not agree with someone or is it just you I cannot reply to.

This is a discussion group.

Well don’t reply if you are so grumpy. I am only saying what I have observed. Am I not allowed to make comment.

Am I not allowed to make comment when I do not agree with someone or is it just you I cannot reply to.

This is a discussion group.

Now you are resorting to insulting me.

It is a discussion group but your comment wasn't put forward as a discussion point. In fact I can't understand why you made it as you have never done the tour. Perhaps you just saw an opportunity to disagree.

I don't have a problem with someone having a different opinion. In fact "annieuk" provided a completely different view to mine and hers was an interesting comment from her husband's experience. She never felt the need to disagree with my comment.

Now you are resorting to insulting me.

It is a discussion group but your comment wasn't put forward as a discussion point. In fact I can't understand why you made it as you have never done the tour. Perhaps you just saw an opportunity to disagree.

I don't have a problem with someone having a different opinion. In fact "annieuk" provided a completely different view to mine and hers was an interesting comment from her husband's experience. She never felt the need to disagree with my comment.

If you read my first comment all I said was that everyone I had met had said it was great and well worth the money. I was putting the other point of view.

I have not done the tour as I am disabled and would love to do it which is possibly why I am so much for it.

BTW you started the insults not me. I do not insult people but I will if they have a go at me first.

If you read my first comment all I said was that everyone I had met had said it was great and well worth the money. I was putting the other point of view.

I have not done the tour as I am disabled and would love to do it which is possibly why I am so much for it.

BTW you started the insults not me. I do not insult people but I will if they have a go at me first.

... and the point I am trying to make is that when you "quote" someone and then disagree with them then its mainly directed at them and/or their opinion. What you should have done is make your post without trying to invalidate a differing opinion. An opinion is a personal judgement based on that persons point of view so regardless of how good the tour is I probably still couldn't justify the cost bearing in mind I spent a lifetime working with similar equipment etc.

... and the point I am trying to make is that when you "quote" someone and then disagree with them then its mainly directed at them and/or their opinion. What you should have done is make your post without trying to invalidate a differing opinion. An opinion is a personal judgement based on that persons point of view so regardless of how good the tour is I probably still couldn't justify the cost bearing in mind I spent a lifetime working with similar equipment etc.

The quote is to link the discussion together when there are a number of discussions on the same thread.

Mine was a general point.

I have done several of the Behind the Scenes Tour’s on a few of the P&O ships and really enjoyed them. They are always on sea days and take around 4 hours, which is great for people like me who get a bit bored and find the P&O daytime entertainment to be pretty dire. I have twice had to go on waiting lists for them and secured a place when a 2nd Tour has been added due to demand.

As DaiB says, they are hosted by the most senior officers in every area that you visit, which I always find quite impressive. Whilst £75 is a bit steep, you do get quite a bit for your money. Here’s an overview of one I did on Britannia;

Medical Centre - Ships doctor showed us around all the rooms (inc Theatre), explained what they can and can’t do onboard, explained the criteria for medical evacuations and gave examples of times it had happened, explained the onboard medical emergency procedures.

Print Room - see how they produce menus, publications and ‘Horizon’, and see it being printed.

Food Storage - Explain how they order, typical volumes and actually take you in to the vast store rooms and chiller rooms where you see the volumes of supplies at first hand.

Environmental Services - The Senior Environmental Officer talks you through, and shows you, how they sort and process recycling and waste and what and how they discharge overboard.

M1-You walk along the crew only main corridor (known as the M1) and see countless crew members doing their stuff.

Engine Control Room - The Chief Engineer (2nd most senior person after the Captain and known as ‘Chief’) explains how the engines, propulsion systems and the main oily bits work. You don’t actually see the engines, just CCTV monitors and the huge screens where they monitor everything.

Galley - The Executive Chef explains how the galley works and as you walk around you see food being prepped and plated.

Main Dining Room - You have a break here with a very nice selection of snacks and drinks provided on dedicated tables.

Bridge - You are shown around the bridge (including the overhangs where you can see along the full sides of the ship) with an explanation of everyone’s role, how they plan routes, how they navigate and how they steer the ship with a joystick that’s no more that 2 inches big! You can sit in the Captains seat and have your photo taken with a hat on if that’s your thing! Because you are at sea, this part of the tour is extremely interesting.

Theatre - You go on stage to see how scenery and props are handled. Lighting and sound are explained. Some of the Headliners will explain what they do (another photo op if you want pics with them) and then they take you backstage to see how they manage costume changes and the unique storage solutions.

Q&A with the Captain - You end up in a private lounge where canapés and drinks are served, during which time the Captain hosts a Q&A.

I suspect that I have missed a few things, but that gives you a flavour.

At every place, you have plenty of opportunity to ask questions and are given fact sheets with the key stats on. When you return to your cabin, a gift, as a thank you for going on the tour, is waiting for you.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them and intend to do them again, especially on ships that I have yet to see behind the scenes on. If you are interested in cruising and want to expand your knowledge beyond what you see as a regular cruiser then they are great.