What is the future of the Concordia??

coolsky1994

This news article states it will have to be scrapped...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Concordia.html

This is part of the article......

For the time being the ship is embedded on the rock shelf and we are able to assist in the searching.

"The problem is that if the weather turns then the swell could rise and it could break the ship free and if that happens it will slip down the shelf and to the bottom of the sea.

That's why we need to work as quickly as we can to make sure everyone is accounted for and their are no other trapped survivors

Salvage experts say the Concordia was so badly damage it cannot be salvaged and will have to be torn up and taken away on barges to be scrapped.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL

I'm no expert but if it can be repaired I'd expect that would be the first option, lot cheaper to repair and refurb than to build a new billion dollar ship.

Just wanted to post this topic to hear everybodys thoughts on how they believe the Concordia will be recoverd. If it isnt, what might happen to her???

I'm no expert but if it can be repaired I'd expect that would be the first option, lot cheaper to repair and refurb than to build a new billion dollar ship.

It all depends upon what Costa's insurance company wants to do with it. It's their problem now. News articles have already suggested it would be cheaper to break it up.

This news article states it will have to be scrapped...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Concordia.html

This is part of the article......

For the time being the ship is embedded on the rock shelf and we are able to assist in the searching.

"The problem is that if the weather turns then the swell could rise and it could break the ship free and if that happens it will slip down the shelf and to the bottom of the sea.

That's why we need to work as quickly as we can to make sure everyone is accounted for and their are no other trapped survivors

Salvage experts say the Concordia was so badly damage it cannot be salvaged and will have to be torn up and taken away on barges to be scrapped.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Ignore The Sun. It is a notorious tabloid in the UK historically well known for its compulsive lying and false facts when reporting. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole when looking for facts.

IMHO the ship will be forced into deeper water by the power of the waves and will end up with maybe a little bit of the hull showing above water . Or the sea will bury it where it is in sand . Salvage operation to remove it will be a monumental task and maybe the best they will achieve is to sink it in deeper water and turn it into a reef.

IMHO the ship will be forced into deeper water by the power of the waves and will end up with maybe a little bit of the hull showing above water . Or the sea will bury it where it is in sand . Salvage operation to remove it will be a monumental task and maybe the best they will achieve is to sink it in deeper water and turn it into a reef.

It can't stay underwater in it's current state. Even when they purposely scuttle ships they remove all materials/machinery inside. It will likely have fuel removed, be refloated and then they will decide whether to repair it or to scrap it. It is perfectly salvageable. Whether it is worth repairing or not is another question. The engines and machinery are likely ruined by the salt water.

Salt water has ruined any electrical or mechanical systems. A repair and refurb, would involve taking most everything right down to the steel hull. It seems that the steel would be worth something.

But as someone else said, it is up to the insurance company, and they will choose the least costly option.

I am interested to see what actually happens.

It is so surreal seeing such a large ship, such a new ship, in that condition. I must say, I am fascinated by this aspect of the accident.

It all depends upon what Costa's insurance company wants to do with it. It's their problem now. News articles have already suggested it would be cheaper to break it up.

Cheaper than what?

It would be cheaper to break it up than repair it.

Cheaper to break it up than build a new ship? I doubt it -as it currently sits anyways, if their worst fears come true and bad weather causes it to slip off of the shelf it's on, then who knows.

The ships gone for good. There is zero chances of getting that ship back into service even if it could be refloated. The water has ruined all the electrical cables and engines. It would be more than just putting new engines in it as the entire ship would have to be stripped of absolutely everything. Costa Concordia has gone for good.

The ships gone for good. There is zero chances of getting that ship back into service even if it could be refloated. The water has ruined all the electrical cables and engines. It would be more than just putting new engines in it as the entire ship would have to be stripped of absolutely everything. Costa Concordia has gone for good.

Dont't be so sure

"The owner of stricken cruise liner Costa Concordia today said the loss of the ship would wipe up to £62 million from its profits this year.

Carnival, which owns Costa Cruises, said the grounded vessel would be out of service until at the least the end of its financial year to November 30.

However, Carnival, which is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges, said it was insured to the tune of £21million for the vessel."

From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087249/Costa-Concordia-cruise-ship-wreck-search-Italian-girl-5-father-missing.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I think a lot depends on if there is any damage to the hidden Starboard side. If not then steel plating welded over the port hole, remove the fuel/oil (which will lighten the ship), no oil slick so looks like tanks are all intact.

No beyond salvagable especially if only insured for £21M versus cost of £300M+ to build a new one. But chances are if refloated to a dry dock, gutted and then sold to far East..

If she is on a shelf then tugs pulling her out at high tide with some of the water pumped out and the hole sealed could see her refloat!

Press release today from Carnival Corporation's website:

Carnival Corporation & plc Required Announcement on Financial Impact of Costa Concordia

MIAMI (January 16, 2012) -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) today commented on the financial impact resulting from the grounding of the Costa Concordia.

“At this time, our priority is the safety of our passengers and crew,” said Micky Arison, Carnival Corporation & plc chairman and CEO. “We are deeply saddened by this tragic event and our hearts go out to everyone affected by the grounding of the Costa Concordia and especially to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives. They will remain in our thoughts and prayers,” Arison said.

In accordance with financial disclosure requirements, the company provides the following information:

The company has insurance coverage for damage to the vessel with a deductible of approximately $30 million as well as insurance for third party personal injury liability subject to an additional deductible of approximately $10 million for this incident. The company self-insures for loss of use of the vessel.

A damage assessment review of the vessel is currently being undertaken to determine how long it will be out of service. The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer. For the fiscal year ending November 30, the impact to 2012 earnings for loss of use is expected to be approximately $85-$95 million or $0.11-$0.12 per share. In addition, the company anticipates other costs to the business that are not possible to determine at this time.

With floating Barges that can lift many Thousands of Tons do not be suprised if Concordia is patched up, pumped out and taken back to the Dry Dock at Monfalcone! where the damaged part of the ship could be cut off ..ie from the sart of the damage to the Aft ... that part floated out of the dock and a New replacement built complete with Engines etc.

After all at least 1/3 of the ship above where the water is now will likely have little damage.

On one of the other threads someone posted a newspaper link to the underwater pictures of the Costa Concordia.

I'm not sure the vantage point of the pictures, but it looks like the starboard side. Lots of damage, just eerie. The task of patching up the hole on the port side seems monumental itself, but how could the side laying on the rocks, damaged be repaired & the ship floated (especially since the ship is subject to weather, waves & slippage).

I'm no engineer but I'd be interested in someone explaining what the process would be.

In the meantime I'm hoping some good news will follow shortly & others will be found alive.

I suspect she'll be scrapped if they manage to get the fuel out and float her off before she slips off into the deep.

Agreed. Even after repairing the hull, I don't see how they would be able to rebuild the entire side of the ship. The underwater pictures look like lying over on the rocks caused extensive damage to the starboard side, as was expected.

There is already a salvage company there setting up to stablize the fuel and oil tanks and possibly start pumping oil off to prevent a major oil spill.

There is likely already various salvage companies there working up bids to remove the hulk, float her and then bring her to wherever Costas line or the *then* owners want. Yes she maybe sold before the salvage is finished.

These costs will be covered by the hull underwirters and the vessel owners other insurance .

However due to costs it is likely she will be scrapped.

This is not a standard cargo vessel. The Concorda, any cruise ship is a electrical monster,wiring, systems,all will need to be totally removed. Basicly she would have to be totally gutted down to bare steel, before she could be rebuilt. Salt water is the evil thing here.....it gets into everything and slowly rots everything.

She was a $570 million ship when new..........before the wreck......maybe $300 million............To totally rebiuld her, your looking at nearly what it would cost to biuld a new ship. Remember its easier to built a ship from the keel up, then to feed and install all that eqiupment in a already built steel structure.

The wreck will have a good deal of value in itself.........the steel in the hull,the value of some components, the engines, some machinary.

Add to all that add the fact that she will always be known as the *Concordia*, no matter what name she has.

IMO, the wreck will be scrapped.

AKK

Archived