Just in case I get a wonderful upset call ...

Flo71

You won't get an upsell until after final payment. You then will have to pay for it immediately.

Ah, ok so need to prepare just yet, will make sure hubby and I are both prepared after final payment.

I’ve received several upsell offers over the last few years. None was “wonderful” nor worth the extra charge. Plus, you’re then assigned a cabin that’s among the leftovers. You don’t get to choose where your cabin is located.

Over 10 Princess cruises, we've had two upsell offers. I think 20 percent is an unusually high rate. We accepted both, and in each case we were able to choose our own cabin.

In one case, we got a mini-suite very close to midship, and the other time it was one of the best aft suites on the Grand. So I'm not sure about other people's experiences, but we've never been "assigned" a cabin.

Jim

I’ve received several upsell offers over the last few years. None was “wonderful” nor worth the extra charge. Plus, you’re then assigned a cabin that’s among the leftovers. You don’t get to choose where your cabin is located.

Now, I have only been offered an upsell two times, but this is what I did both times. Called immediately and got in the queue to be called back. While waiting, I looked online and found out cabins left in the upsell category. If I found one I liked, would make note of it. When rep. calls back and I say yes, I first ask her what cabins are available, just to make sure I haven't missed one. Then if I liked my choice better, I would say "What about cabinXXXX?" Both times, she would say, Oh, that is available and great location and would book that cabin for me. This most current time on the Ruby Princess I went from an obstructed view cabin to a balcony, my choice (A534). In fact when I told her I wanted that cabin she sounded very surprised that such a good location was still available but had no problem with booking my choice over hers.

So maybe on some ships your statement might be true, but not for me yet. I would just look over available cabins and just ask if you don't like the one they are offering.

I disagree about undesirable cabins. I took an upsell from a mini suite to an aft facing full suite and we LOVED the location. I surprised my husband with the upgrade.

I know someone who went from an interior to an ocean view in Alaska this past season and was very pleased with the offer. While you don't get first choice over a large inventory like you would when a sailing first opens it's a wonderful opportunity to enjoy an upgraded cabin at a discount and the best part is no one is making you take the upsell if you don't like the offer.

The advice about calling back, getting in queue and then pulling up the sailing is excellent! You can always say "No, thank you" when they call back if you are not happy with the choice. Nothing lost but some minutes of your time while you research.

Now, I have only been offered an upsell two times, but this is what I did both times. Called immediately and got in the queue to be called back. While waiting, I looked online and found out cabins left in the upsell category. If I found one I liked, would make note of it. When rep. calls back and I say yes, I first ask her what cabins are available, just to make sure I haven't missed one. Then if I liked my choice better, I would say "What about cabinXXXX?" Both times, she would say, Oh, that is available and great location and would book that cabin for me. This most current time on the Ruby Princess I went from an obstructed view cabin to a balcony, my choice (A534). In fact when I told her I wanted that cabin she sounded very surprised that such a good location was still available but had no problem with booking my choice over hers.

So maybe on some ships your statement might be true, but not for me yet. I would just look over available cabins and just ask if you don't like the one they are offering.

Great, clear advice, thank you x

They will charge immediately to your card on file when you originally booked.

That's been my experience...call to get in the queue, check inventory, wait for the call back, choose cabin, pay with card on file.

We received an upsell offer to move from an obstructed ocean view cabin to a balcony cabin that was mid-forward. When I called back and asked if we could choose the cabin, the agent said that there were only three balcony cabins available and we could choose from those three.

We got a great balcony cabin for $99 per person extra. We are brand new to cruising and did not know whether or not that was a good offer, but we jumped on it immediately, and were very happy w/ our cabin. Sat out on the balcony and watched the moonlight and sunlight on the water.... it was lovely.:)

We received an upsell offer to move from an obstructed ocean view cabin to a balcony cabin that was mid-forward. When I called back and asked if we could choose the cabin, the agent said that there were only three balcony cabins available and we could choose from those three.

We got a great balcony cabin for $99 per person extra. We are brand new to cruising and did not know whether or not that was a good offer, but we jumped on it immediately, and were very happy w/ our cabin. Sat out on the balcony and watched the moonlight and sunlight on the water.... it was lovely.:)

$99 seems the common price for a week. I was mildly unhappy it wasn't cheaper than that for my wife's 5-nighter.

• 2 weeks later...