Medical reimbursement

hockeygal54

I was dealt a case of ship acquired Flu A while aboard the Grand for ten days last week. I incurred medical expenses of close to $400. I have the Princess platinum level insurance coverage plus private sector health insurance via Blue Cross. For those of you who have to file for reimbursement where do I start first?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Blue Cross for starters. Had the same problem 2 years ago. Call their 800 number and get the form to fill out. Takes just a few minutes. Mail it in and you will get a response in about 2 weeks. I got full reimbursement. Good luck.

Just so I understand. If you have Princess Platinum insurance and get sick on the ship, they charge full price to your credit card on file? Then you have to submit the bill to your own carrier and wait to see if they will pay anything before you can ask for any reinbursment from Princess Platinum insurance?

This process is handled quickly or does it drag out for months?

As stated in the last post, submit to your carrier and when they have paid up, submit to Princess carrier for any remainder. From start to finish, we had everything paid back within 6 weeks.

Sorry you were ill on your vacation.

I agree with the other posters. Once we were home I called Princess Platinum insurance to start a claim. They sent me some forms which stated we needed to submit to our primary health insurance first. I called our primary health and they sent me some forms to fill out, and submitted with all receipts. We received 100% reimbursement from our primary. The whole process did not take long as I recall.

Take care

Same experience as the others. A few years ago, got a very bad cold. Was bacterial rather than viral. Received a detailed invoice from the Medical Center. Submitted claim to Blue Shield, and then that result along with a copy of the bill to Princess insurance. Was reimbursed. Whole process took a couple of weeks.

If you have medicare you must get a statement from them although they will not cover it - then sybmit a claim to your personal health insurance - when they reimburse you then file a claim with the Platinum including medicare, personal health reimbursement and you will get refunded. Timewise it will depend on the speed of response from your personal health insurance - the reimbursement from Princess is pretty fast

I'm not Medicare.....yet fortunately.

I made a general "ship acquired" statement based on timeline and the fact I observed so many people ill appearing and not washing hands and gen dirty ship conditions. I won't share what I wiped off the rims of one cocktail table in W'house with a wet paper towel. Wish I'd taken a picture cause it would be going to corporate. That ship has issues.

i got tonsillitis on my last cruise. the doctor visit and meds were just under $200. i sent all the documentation to princess' insurance (aon affinity: https://aontravelclaim.com/#/home) with a note that i was opening a file and would send them the final document after i submitted it to bc medical. maybe because it wasn't a huge amount (to them) i received notice in a couple of days that the full amount was being sent to me. i received it less than 2 weeks from when i first applied.

I was dealt a case of ship acquired Flu A while aboard the Grand for ten days last week. I incurred medical expenses of close to $400. I have the Princess platinum level insurance coverage plus private sector health insurance via Blue Cross. For those of you who have to file for reimbursement where do I start first?

I'm an expert in medical insurance and insurance in general. File with both so they can do coordination of benefits behind the scenes and share your claims adjusters' contact information for both and save yourself the hassle. Recognize that the ship insurance is likely an indemnity plan and depending on where in the country you bought blue cross and the plan you selected it could be any number of different plan types that may or may not include out of network coverage or emergency travel medical. That's for them to sort out. I'd contact ship insurance first as they may cover the whole thing on the spot (but I doubt it). Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

i got tonsillitis on my last cruise. the doctor visit and meds were just under $200. i sent all the documentation to princess' insurance (aon affinity: https://aontravelclaim.com/#/home) with a note that i was opening a file and would send them the final document after i submitted it to bc medical. maybe because it wasn't a huge amount (to them) i received notice in a couple of days that the full amount was being sent to me. i received it less than 2 weeks from when i first applied.
That's the way to start the claim - the aon site gives you a claim number and instructions as well as a form to use.

Then submit to your primary carrier. This is really the long part of the process. We had one cruise with a couple of visits to the ship's medical center, and our insurance kept rejecting the 2nd saying they had already covered it. It took me 8 months to clarify things, and I finally just submitted their rejection to aon, who paid it.

The Princess Platinum part of the process has been the quickest and easiest, and has fully covered all the expenses not paid for by our "reject the claim and see if they will resubmit" insurance company.

I'm an expert in medical insurance and insurance in general. File with both so they can do coordination of benefits behind the scenes and share your claims adjusters' contact information for both and save yourself the hassle. Recognize that the ship insurance is likely an indemnity plan and depending on where in the country you bought blue cross and the plan you selected it could be any number of different plan types that may or may not include out of network coverage or emergency travel medical. That's for them to sort out. I'd contact ship insurance first as they may cover the whole thing on the spot (but I doubt it). Hope this helps.

No coordination of benefits. The Princess Platinum is secondary insurance and will cover what your primary doesn't. They require you submit to your primary plan first, then forward the EOB's to them so they will cover the rest.

No coordination of benefits. The Princess Platinum is secondary insurance and will cover what your primary doesn't. They require you submit to your primary plan first, then forward the EOB's to them so they will cover the rest.
Makes sense. The most annoying and roundabout way to process a claim with manual forms and much aggravation hoping to tire the insured out and into giving up. Thanks for the update and now I know more about ship insurance.

We're still waiting for our insurance to let us know how much they will cover of DH's visit to the medical center on the Caribbean Princess in August. We sent the form to them in early September--about seven weeks ago.

I remember a problem with the code used for one of the drugs prescribed when he had to visit the medical center on a cruise a few years ago. Aon said the code used wasn't valid. We ended up eating that cost.