Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

Crew News

Thank you for your responses, it's much appreciated! I also wanted to ask about Victoria.

Day 14 began with hazy skies as we sailed to Victoria and ended with bright, sunny skies with strong winds. . .The ship was delayed docking as another ship had to leave the same dock and clear the port before we could dock. We docked by 3:00 PM and every passenger swarmed to the gangway causing a huge jam at the same time that a passenger was being evacuated to an ambulance (I overheard). Passengers could not exit the elevators as there was no room to step out. At least three floors were pouring passengers into a single stairway from Deck 1 to A Deck. Needless to say, my excursion was delayed for one hour. . . .

VICTORIA Arrival Time

I noticed in the "When and Where" for the day that the arrival time said 2:30pm. For my upcoming sailing, it says arrival in Victoria will be 1pm, both in the HAL itinerary for my booking and also in the general schedule on their website. Do you remember if your sailing had an original arrival time of 1pm or was it always scheduled for 2:30pm? I saw that there will be a Princess ship in port that is scheduled to leave at 2pm, as well. As I plan, I am not really planning to arrive earlier than 2:30pm, although it would be nice to arrive as scheduled.

THANKS!

I took the HAL bus last year after finishing this itinerary. They dropped me off at a special "far from everyone but Delta" spot, which likely is mandated by the airport. I decided if I ever cruise out of Seattle again, I would just take a cab.

Thank you for your responses, it's much appreciated! I also wanted to ask about Victoria.

VICTORIA Arrival Time

I noticed in the "When and Where" for the day that the arrival time said 2:30pm. For my upcoming sailing, it says arrival in Victoria will be 1pm, both in the HAL itinerary for my booking and also in the general schedule on their website. Do you remember if your sailing had an original arrival time of 1pm or was it always scheduled for 2:30pm? I saw that there will be a Princess ship in port that is scheduled to leave at 2pm, as well. As I plan, I am not really planning to arrive earlier than 2:30pm, although it would be nice to arrive as scheduled.

THANKS!

My travel docs said docking at 2:00 PM. As the Captain explained, the ship could not enter the harbor until the Princess ship cleared the channel that is quite narrow. I think our actual docking time was a bit after 3:00 PM.

All of the excursion buses waited until all those were aboard. It was a real zoo as every passenger wanted off the ship at the same time and there was a single stairway down to Deck A. The crowd was so big at the gangway that passenger could not exit the elevators on Deck A.

My recommendation is to be close to the gangway at 1:30 or just wait until the crowd thins out. Excursion buses will wait for you.

I took the HAL bus last year after finishing this itinerary. They dropped me off at a special "far from everyone but Delta" spot, which likely is mandated by the airport. I decided if I ever cruise out of Seattle again, I would just take a cab.

Good choice. :) We had a couple on our Roll Call that we shared a Town Car with. That worked out reall well.

curious to know the best way to see Butcharts gardens in Victoria. we cruise aug 27so it would be sept 9 in victoria

Just returned from this cruise and our stop in Victoria was cancelled because of high winds. The capt had to cancel because the ship couldn't get close because of the wind and currents. We were disappointed because we had never been there, but things happen. Otherwise, great cruise!