Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

They could quiet easily offer free drinks package and then include the price in the cruise price. Many would fall for it thinking it was "free" and not that you are paying for it in increase in cruise fare that is what Celebrity and RCCL have been doing for a while and people fall for it thinking its free.

That's not always the case, we had a free drinks package on our last Celebrity cruise and saved £300pp on our original launch offer which did not include free drinks, even after losing our deposit.

I agree this was unusual, but sometimes unusual happens.

That's less than 7 x £40. So better value.
In our case on RC as a D+ member we have a daily 3 hour free drinks cocktail hour in the Diamond lounge or Concierge lounge from 5.30- 8.30pm so don't need any drinks packages and when they have the free drinks packages promotions we are paying for something we don't want or need.

Well that’s spoilt my whole day/weekend/week/month/year. I am devastated I will never cruise with P&O again. That’s it finished. Gutted.

Well until Oct anyway.

:). :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We asked what else might appeal to us if Billi Billi wasn't available and Cannonball was the recommendation. It's a N American wine and I think a little more expensive but we tried it and really enjoyed it. Might be worth a try.....

Whatever, enjoy your trip in October and wine menu sampling to find a replacement.

(If you're lucky, there may still be a few bottles left in stock. ;))

We asked what else might appeal to us if Billi Billi wasn't available and Cannonball was the recommendation. It's a N American wine and I think a little more expensive but we tried it and really enjoyed it. Might be worth a try.....

Whatever, enjoy your trip in October and wine menu sampling to find a replacement.

(If you're lucky, there may still be a few bottles left in stock. ;))

Velvet Devil, which I think comes from the same vineyard as Cannonball is our favourite, nicer in my opinion than Billi Billi

I’m fairly sure we got our loyalty discount on our wine package on board Azura in February. It may have changed since then however.

On our cruise personaliser for an upcoming cruise it states wine packages are excluded from loyalty discount.

Just won't work for me not because of price but the fact so much I like to drink is excluded and I cannot pay for it before I board. I save hard for my cruises and have been very happy recently to be able to pay for speciality dining and order and pay for wine before the cruise. I know many argue the money is better in my pocket than P&Os but my pockets have a nasty habit of developing holes and allowing money out on a whim. Paying in advance assures all my cruise treats are secure. This package just doesn't fit although the amount per day if allocated differently would have meant some significant savings for me. Never mind my liver is grateful

On our cruise personaliser for an upcoming cruise it states wine packages are excluded from loyalty discount.

I am sure this is a change of policy in advance of the AI trial. I remember having a conversation with my husband about the additional 7.5% loyalty discount making a good deal on the wine package. Probably won’t have one again.

People seem to have overlooked that now the AI product exists P&O can choose to offer it for 'free' as a booking incentive.

Yes, possibly in the same way as they offer extra OBC, when the basic cruise price rises so that the net is about the same! Therefore it would only be a benefit for those who would drink more than £80 a day per couple, which we don’t. We’d rather have a low Cruise price and pay for what we want, not pay an inflated price for a ‘free’ benefit that we wouldn’t get our moneys worth for.

To quote Mick- "You can't always get what you want".

We came back from Azura on Saturday so I've only just seen this updated thread. No way do we even spend £80 a day on drinks between 2 of us. We don't drink much alcohol, mainly a couple each on an evening. The rest of the day it's been mainly tea or coffee (in the buffet & with a Costa card) or water. A couple of days we bought a soft drink with lunch. As we were in mainly colder climates we preferd a hot drink. I hope the packages stay optional if they roll them out as it just wouldn't be worth it for us. A good thing I noticed on the link was that they reserve the right to not serve you if you're intoxicated.

Sam.

We came back from Azura on Saturday so I've only just seen this updated thread. No way do we even spend £80 a day on drinks between 2 of us. We don't drink much alcohol, mainly a couple each on an evening. The rest of the day it's been mainly tea or coffee (in the buffet & with a Costa card) or water. A couple of days we bought a soft drink with lunch. As we were in mainly colder climates we preferd a hot drink. I hope the packages stay optional if they roll them out as it just wouldn't be worth it for us. A good thing I noticed on the link was that they reserve the right to not serve you if you're intoxicated.

Sam.

Of course they will stay optional like packages have in the past i.e. wine, soft drinks and Costa coffee nobody has ever forced you to have them.

We enjoy a drink before dinner, wine, then sometimes a drink after. I think you'd have to go some to get through £80 a day! Did they also say there's a 15 drink a day limit? Does anyone really have that, or does it include softs, coffees, etc.?

We enjoy a drink before dinner, wine, then sometimes a drink after. I think you'd have to go some to get through £80 a day! Did they also say there's a 15 drink a day limit? Does anyone really have that, or does it include softs, coffees, etc.?

15 alcoholic drinks.

If the safe drinking levels are 2-3 alcoholic drinks a day these drinks packages are doing nothing for our health.

If the safe drinking levels are 2-3 alcoholic drinks a day these drinks packages are doing nothing for our health.

If you are using that logic then neither is the volume of food so people should only be having dinner in the MDR once a week and something lighter the rest of the time.

If you are using that logic then neither is the volume of food so people should only be having dinner in the MDR once a week and something lighter the rest of the time.
This is hardly a reputable comparison as we need to eat food to survive.

Alcohol is a drug that changes some people's personalities and there are current TV advertisements warning of the cancer risks of drinking.

I like a couple of pints of Old Speckled Hen on board but 15 alcoholic drinks a day?

But let’s not forget they also include soft drinks/mock tails/costa coffee and water

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But let’s not forget they also include soft drinks/mock tails/costa coffee and water

Post #1014 the poster said the drinks limit was for 15 alcoholic drinks a day.

I agree it will include other beverages but I think most people think of how much alcoholic drinks they can have to make the package worthwhile for them.

Post #1014 the poster said the drinks limit was for 15 alcoholic drinks a day.

I agree it will include other beverages but I think most people think of how much alcoholic drinks they can have to make the package worthwhile for them.

Mmm maybe some will - I certainly wouldn’t. I see the package as a way to have my regular tipple topped up by other non alcoholic drinks and as a chance to try cocktails etc that I wouldn’t normally

Mmm maybe some will - I certainly wouldn’t. I see the package as a way to have my regular tipple topped up by other non alcoholic drinks and as a chance to try cocktails etc that I wouldn’t normally

As the bigger ships are aimed at a younger crowd I think the alcohol is the draw.

As the bigger ships are aimed at a younger crowd I think the alcohol is the draw.

Young people are not drinking (much) any more, as reported in the press yesterday. The binge drinkers of the past are now middle aged, or older.

Young people are not drinking (much) any more, as reported in the press yesterday. The binge drinkers of the past are now middle aged, or older.
Oh ok if it says that in the press it must be right lol.

These surveys are done with a small number of people.

I suggest they come to Newcastle or any other city centre at a weekend for a true reflection of drinking habits.

Oh ok if it says that in the press it must be right lol.

These surveys are done with a small number of people.

I suggest they come to Newcastle or any other city centre at a weekend for a true reflection of drinking habits.

Also been discussed at length on Women's Hour. You surely can't dismiss that too?😋