Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

I believe that in the new year, you will no longer be able to take unlimited amounts of alcohol on board - so make the most of it while it lasts!
That will be a shame if it happens. We take some alcohol on board but it doesn't stop us spending a lot of money in the bars. Perhaps P&O want to force people to spend more money.

Eddie

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I believe that in the new year, you will no longer be able to take unlimited amounts of alcohol on board - so make the most of it while it lasts!

As long as the room service, should that be cabin service? Gin is still available at £19.00 it will be of little concern for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you please tell us where P&O have said this.

It's never really been 'unlimited' as it's a reasonable amount for personal consumption. They will either have to say no alcohol or define a limit and I would think that any prescribed limit would still be fine for 99% of passengers. I suspect that this will generate a lot of debate, but would suggest we don't over-react until we have hard facts. It's too vague to form an opinion at present.

This rumours seems to crop up every 6 months or so. To enforce a limit of say one bottle of wine per person would, I think be counter productive. Many cruisers prefer P&O because of their drink policy, and if this policy was to change, many would vote with their feet and switch to Princess, RCL etc.

The drink that passengers take on board to drink in their own cabins is in addition to the drink that will be purchased on board, not in place of on board purchases. I will drink a glass or two of my own wine when getting ready for dinner -if I no longer can take my own wine I will not be buying wine on board for my pre-dinner tipple.

Can you please tell us where P&O have said this.

They haven't said it yet but I have heard it on good authority that they will bring all their brands into line on this issue. I would assume then that, like Princess etc, you might only be allowed one bottle of champagne or wine per adult.

Princess allow 1 bottle of wine pp. You can take on as much extra wine as you like, but have to pa $15 per bottle corkage. Can still work out cheaper than buying on board.

Is that one bottle pp for the whole of the cruise, wowzz, or can you top up in ports? And does the $15 corkage apply to drinking in your cabin, or only if you take wine into public areas (in which case P&O apply a corkage charge too). Isn't corkage redundant with the majority of bottles being screwtop now (trust me to buy a bottle of Albarino in Vigo that did have a cork, the lovely maître d' in the Glasshouse lent us a corkscrew!).

Is that one bottle pp for the whole of the cruise, wowzz, or can you top up in ports? And does the $15 corkage apply to drinking in your cabin, or only if you take wine into public areas (in which case P&O apply a corkage charge too). Isn't corkage redundant with the majority of bottles being screwtop now (trust me to buy a bottle of Albarino in Vigo that did have a cork, the lovely maître d' in the Glasshouse lent us a corkscrew!).

In theory it is for the entire cruise, and you cannot top up in port. When you pay the corkage on embarkation, the bottle is stamped, and you can then drink from that bottle anywhere on board and take into the mdr if you so wish.

If a restriction comes in, just pack a few bottles in your main suitcases with your clothes wrapped around them. Then they will never know!

Won't they know when the suitcase goes through the scanner on embarkation. You then have to go to the Naughty Room where the excess wine will be confiscated. That's certainly what happens on Princess.

We are doing a T/A on Britannia can you still get a bottle spirits to drink in the cabin from room service? is so aprox. cost

Gordens Gin £19 standard whisky and vodka about the same

I have no particular opinion on this subject either way, but I can't help thinking that you cannot turn up to a Hotel and say "It's okay, I've bought my own wine/spirit so I don't need yours." Not sure this would go down too well..... 😕

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Think of a queue of passengers coming off a tender and every bag needs to be checked and bottles removed from bags, tagged and stored for collection later. Then think of the angry passengers and the even more angry ones waiting in the queue.

Have they got enough staff to police this.

David

They haven't said it yet but I have heard it on good authority that they will bring all their brands into line on this issue. I would assume then that, like Princess etc, you might only be allowed one bottle of champagne or wine per adult.

Well Sharon I heard on good authority that Carnival wanted to make the loyalty schemes the same. That was 2 years ago. Not saying it's not true but one wonders if theses things are just floated to get a reaction.

I have no particular opinion on this subject either way, but I can't help thinking that you cannot turn up to a Hotel and say "It's okay, I've bought my own wine/spirit so I don't need yours." Not sure this would go down too well..... 😕

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

But I don't do that. My bar bill will be about £800 on our forthcoming round trip to the Caribbean, and I will take on board about £50 of wine. The danger is that if P&O change their policy, I will revert back to Princess, and give my £800 to them.

Think of a queue of passengers coming off a tender and every bag needs to be checked and bottles removed from bags, tagged and stored for collection later. Then think of the angry passengers and the even more angry ones waiting in the queue.

Have they got enough staff to police this.

David

That is what happens on Celebrity. Holland America make you pay the corkage as you get on board. What is more annoying is that is after you have done a ships excursion to a vineyard as well.

We always take a bottle each of our favourite tipple to enjoy whilst getting ready for dinner and a nightcap before we go to bed and would be sad if this were to stop.

However, I am amazed at the amount of alcohol some people boast about taking on board on other sites. If what tgey say is true, then I think they are really pushing it. As has been oreviously posted, P&O do not stipulate an unlimited amount, but a reasonable amount and it wouldnt surprise me ar all if they did decide to clamp down on passengers taking advantage.