Dry dock for Insignia?

Go-Bucks!

Is the Insignia going in for dry dock from Nov. 18 - Dec. 7, 2018? There are no cruises during these dates on the O website.

If so, does anyone know what work or changes might be done? I'm curious because I'll be on the world cruise a month later. I would like to see them put the verandah cabin TV's on the wall across from the bed and sofa (between the 2 mirrors). And take down that ancient blow dryer from the bathroom wall. Sure wish something could be done about the coffin-sized showers too; they're miserable.

Anyone know if it's actually going to dry dock? I think I remember someone mentioning it in a post.

If she does go in, my guess would be that it will primarily be a lot of Engine Room stuff that won't be readily apparent to the passengers.

OC_2019-WC-banner.jpg

There are large segments of the World Cruise where repairs beyond what the onboard staff can accomplish would be a huge issue. Oceania wants her well prepared

She was last in drydock in 2014 so it is possible it could go in 2018 although they used to go every 3 yrs

or it could be a charter ???

You could call Oceania & ask ..maybe you will get the answer

• 2 months later...

Insignia’s Refurbishments – Oct 2018

tuscan-steak.jpg

Tuscan Steak

Featuring glossy wood paneling with platinum and silver accents, the elegantly appointed interior of Tuscan Steak aptly reflects its modern take on the traditional steakhouse. The innovative and diverse menu features the best of both worlds, so you can savor Filet Mignon and their Signature Bistecca alla Fiorentina cooked to perfection, along with rustic Italian favorites such as Hand-Rolled Potato Gnocchi. Seafood lovers will delight in succulent dishes such as Maine Lobster alla Gratinata and Linguine Cioppino.

red-ginger.jpg

Red Ginger

With a nod to feng shui, Red Ginger on board Insignia radiates harmony and tranquility. The interior simply glows with ebony woods, a soothing waterfall wall and striking, modern Asian artworks. To complement the stunning decor, Red Ginger’s chefs have created contemporary interpretations of Asian classics.

Insignia’s Refurbishments – Oct 2018

tuscan-steak.jpg

Tuscan Steak

Featuring glossy wood paneling with platinum and silver accents, the elegantly appointed interior of Tuscan Steak aptly reflects its modern take on the traditional steakhouse. The innovative and diverse menu features the best of both worlds, so you can savor Filet Mignon and their Signature Bistecca alla Fiorentina cooked to perfection, along with rustic Italian favorites such as Hand-Rolled Potato Gnocchi. Seafood lovers will delight in succulent dishes such as Maine Lobster alla Gratinata and Linguine Cioppino.

red-ginger.jpg

Red Ginger

With a nod to feng shui, Red Ginger on board Insignia radiates harmony and tranquility. The interior simply glows with ebony woods, a soothing waterfall wall and striking, modern Asian artworks. To complement the stunning decor, Red Ginger’s chefs have created contemporary interpretations of Asian classics.

Boooooooo

I'm surprised if this is true because I heard some time ago that crew was unhappy with this change, as were many passengers.

I certainly will be unhappy to see Tuscan Steak on the "R" ships. I guess just another reason to only book the "O" ships.

We have always loved the "R" ships, but having sailed on Sirena when it had this change ... we aren't inclined to sail on any "R" ships that have Tuscan Steak and RG.

Mura

curious where you got the info?

I know their website is not always up to date under the media tab

I googled the exact terms used in the link “Insignia Refurbishments - October 2018” and only found a misleading link by a TA. The actual text only mentions the 2014 refurbishments....but shows the Sirena changes. Note that the gap in schedule is November/ December, not October.

You may not be happy, but I am. One of the reasons we prefer the larger ships is Red Ginger. No doubt, I wish it was Jacques, but I will take it.

Polo is not my favorite-- but Tuscan Steaks kills the ambience and little things that make Toscana good.

I found a link about Insignia getting the water system upgrade in the fall but nothing on restaurants

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/scanship-to-retrofit-insignia-with-advanced-wastewater-system.html?highlight=Im9jZWFuaWEi

Mura yes I read that the other ships were not being done like Sirena also

I'm surprised if this is true because I heard some time ago that crew was unhappy with this change, as were many passengers.

I certainly will be unhappy to see Tuscan Steak on the "R" ships. I guess just another reason to only book the "O" ships.

We have always loved the "R" ships, but having sailed on Sirena when it had this change ... we aren't inclined to sail on any "R" ships that have Tuscan Steak and RG.

Mura

I hope this report of restaurant changes is erroneous. If true we are with Mura. The Sirena changes to Polo were not good. Red Ginger is OK for maybe 1 or 2 dinners on a cruise. We were on Sirena for 34 days!

Robbie

I prefer RG to Toscana. I might like Toscana better if after XXX years they’d change up the menu and and new Italian dishes! Polo Grill’s menu has gotten even more boring over time. The high end upscale restaurants I frequent change menus seasonally while still maintaining superior quality. Maintaining the exact same menu for a decade is less than desirable. Only the O’s offer variation. I have a 20 day cruise on the Nautica booked in PH. I wish they had made the changes there on its dry dock last fall. May not use all three of my guarantee Specialties reservations in each!

• 1 month later...
Would you do the cruise right before this dry dock?

I took a cruise on Marina a month before its dry dock in 2016. Other than obviously worn carpet in the stairwells, it did not look 'bad' to me.

It's a retrofit for gray water and black water processing.

Per Scanship announcement: "The system will process all gray wastewater sources and black water to the industry's highest environmental standard for special area Baltic Sea including phosphorus and nitrogen removal."

Never been on an R ship... what makes Tuscan Steak inferior?

Thanks.

It’s a combination menu from Polo and Toscana - kind of “best” of the two restaurants (decided by computer from frequency of orders?). That means that several menu items from each were left out.

Tuscan Steak was a combination of Toscana and Polo so as to make room for Red Ginger on Sirena. It has been unpopular with many of us, including DH and myself.

Most of our favorite Polo dishes didn't make it to the new menu, and we have always preferred Polo to Toscana anyway. (I know, I know, there are plenty of people who prefer Toscana!) But even some of our favorite Toscana dishes didn't make it to the new menu.

It's not that it's hideous ... but if you knew the original restaurants, you might well wish that they still existed. Not this hybrid.

There were also comments from passengers on various threads that the wait staff also did not like the new version! I have no idea if that is true or not, of course. When we were on Sirena in October 2016 we didn't discuss this matter with any of the wait staff.

Mura

Yes, we are this November, the last cruise before drydock. Montreal to Miami. Can’t wait.

There is not a Roll Call for that cruise, or at least one I can find. We're going on it also.

I prefer RG to Toscana. I might like Toscana better if after XXX years they’d change up the menu and and new Italian dishes! Polo Grill’s menu has gotten even more boring over time. The high end upscale restaurants I frequent change menus seasonally while still maintaining superior quality. Maintaining the exact same menu for a decade is less than desirable. Only the O’s offer variation. I have a 20 day cruise on the Nautica booked in PH. I wish they had made the changes there on its dry dock last fall. May not use all three of my guarantee Specialties reservations in each!

The problem with Toscana is that its pretty much exhausted all the options of the cuisine. I mean its heavy into Italian style heavy oil sauces, cheese and heavy starch like pasta Almost everything tastes the same no matter what it is . Too, Polo is the same all focused on meat and potato steak house.big chunk of meat or fish and a side

Since the Main dining room rotates daily the menus I prefer it for variety For my taste Main Dining Room, Jacques French, Red Ginger, Asian would be the perfect trio You can get your steaks in the main dining room!!

I am aware that upscale restaurants change their menu seasonally Some like L'Astrance in Paris, change their menus daily.

All these changes are based on what is available in their region and local and when it is at peak quality.

With the ship, its moving around thousands of miles each week, It has no real local or region to draw on and it is difficult I would think to try to provision the ship as it moved around to what is best that month or months in their ports.. The second thing is that land based chefs in up scale restaurants , only serve 25 to 150 diners per night for one meal and mostly from my experience a Prefix menu, whereas the ship has to serve 3 meals BLD, to a thousand.. That demands a big store.