Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Looks like Celebrity anticipated the concerns of selling the two cabins immediately forward and after the track by pricing them lower than neighboring cabins, making them infinity balconies (potential wind noise, especially forward of the track) and adding the benefit of the ability to connect with the Sky Suites inside the track. Seems to have worked, as most are already booked.

Seeing this now it looks awful! We booked the other side of the ship just because we thought this might happen. It looks horrible! Looks like they just attached it to the ship "because". The concept is okay but the reality really looks horrid imho.

Pat C

The general concept might have been nicer if they used large elevators with glass windows to go from dining area to the tender loading area...or someyhing more like the Rising Tide moving bar on Oasis..This seems like a huge contraption....guess we'll see how it goes !

Without a doubt. Looking at the deck plans and the pix the rails for the Magic Carpet must extend a good 12 feet beyond the other cabins.

You may not be that far off in your estimation. Assume the S3 hump is at least 5ft. Space (safety barrier) between the S3 and the Magic Carpet rail, may be 3-4ft. Then the orange rail itself, plus or minus 3ft may be?

Seeing this now it looks awful! We booked the other side of the ship just because we thought this might happen. It looks horrible! Looks like they just attached it to the ship "because". The concept is okay but the reality really looks horrid imho.

Pat C

I don't understand why they picked bright orange. It's bad enough in blue or white, but orange ...hideous.

Looks like Celebrity anticipated the concerns of selling the two cabins immediately forward and after the track by pricing them lower than neighboring cabins, making them infinity balconies (potential wind noise, especially forward of the track) and adding the benefit of the ability to connect with the Sky Suites inside the track. Seems to have worked, as most are already booked.

The people booking them may not have a clear idea about the location of these cabins and all the negatives.

Hi:

Found this item on "pressfrom.com" which to me explained a lot more of what is to come... I edited a bit.

About the "smart phone app"... don't know if I will be "smart" enough to use it... can see myself not being able to get into my stateroom... then again that has happened a lot with those cards that I always zap somehow...

Imagine being able to walk onto a floating luxury hotel, from shore to your suite's door, without having to pull out your passport or swipe a key card. Controlling everything -- from your room's lighting to a reservation at a restaurant or club or booking a tour of the next destination you're sailing to -- from your phone. And all of this on a ship designed from sea level up using the most modern construction techniques both within and without. When the Celebrity Edge launches at the end of next year, it'll be the most advanced cruise liner on the seven Pty Ltd

I did find this part interesting .... maybe you all knew about this point but...

The most important upgrade that the new Edge class vessel brings to the cruising world, though, is something that you can't even see. Not unless you're a proper ship nerd, that is. Where all other current cruise liners use an external frame to reinforce the hull of the ship, with vertical H-bar steel running down the edge of every single window and balcony of a ship's thousand-plus staterooms, the Edge brings that exoskeleton inside the hull. Instead, the Edge's endoskeleton construction -- despite being every bit as sturdy -- allows for those balconies to be significantly wider, with an uninterrupted flow from the cabin itself to the balcony area.

When we toured a mockup of the Celebrity Edge's stateroom with the 'infinity veranda' design -- 512 of which will be on the ship when it launches towards the end of 2018 -- and compared it to the existing setup on current Solstice-class ships, the difference was massive. Not having those vertical steel pillars at each side of the sliding door between the balcony and stateroom opens up the space so much more, and contributes to the new staterooms having 23 per cent more space than the current ships. That space means that all bedrooms on the ship now have king-size beds, too -- a first for any cruise liner.

PS... Thanks for the picts and Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans...

Cheers, M

The most important upgrade that the new Edge class vessel brings to the cruising world, though, is something that you can't even see. Not unless you're a proper ship nerd, that is. Where all other current cruise liners use an external frame to reinforce the hull of the ship, with vertical H-bar steel running down the edge of every single window and balcony of a ship's thousand-plus staterooms, the Edge brings that exoskeleton inside the hull. Instead, the Edge's endoskeleton construction -- despite being every bit as sturdy -- allows for those balconies to be significantly wider, with an uninterrupted flow from the cabin itself to the balcony area.

When we toured a mockup of the Celebrity Edge's stateroom with the 'infinity veranda' design -- 512 of which will be on the ship when it launches towards the end of 2018 -- and compared it to the existing setup on current Solstice-class ships, the difference was massive. Not having those vertical steel pillars at each side of the sliding door between the balcony and stateroom opens up the space so much more, and contributes to the new staterooms having 23 per cent more space than the current ships. That space means that all bedrooms on the ship now have king-size beds, too -- a first for any cruise liner.

Source: http://us.pressfrom.com/lifestyle/travel/-32422-the-celebrity-edge-is-the-worlds-most-high-tech-cruise-ship/

will the edge be finished earlier than planned?

I heared from Celebrity on Facebook that the Beyond will start in 2019... not 2020

The original Jan 2017 press release from Celebrity stated that Beyond would be delivered in Spring 2020, not started in 2020. A ship needs over a year to construct. For delivery in spring 2020, the construction must begin in early 2019. Nothing in your information means anything has changed.

"MIAMI, Jan. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- To kick off the New Year in style, Celebrity Cruises is announcing an exclusive partnership with design icon Nate Berkus, naming him Design Ambassador for the brand's newest class of ships – Edge Class.....

......Edge Class is Celebrity's first new ship class in nearly a decade, succeeding the brand's revolutionary Solstice Class. The company expects delivery of Celebrity Edge in Fall 2018. Celebrity Beyond is scheduled for delivery in Spring 2020, and the third and fourth Edge Class ships in Fall 2021 and Fall 2022, respectively."

The original Jan 2017 press release from Celebrity stated that Beyond would be delivered in Spring 2020, not started in 2020. A ship needs over a year to construct. For delivery in spring 2020, the construction must begin in early 2019. Nothing in your information means anything has changed.

"MIAMI, Jan. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- To kick off the New Year in style, Celebrity Cruises is announcing an exclusive partnership with design icon Nate Berkus, naming him Design Ambassador for the brand's newest class of ships – Edge Class.....

......Edge Class is Celebrity's first new ship class in nearly a decade, succeeding the brand's revolutionary Solstice Class. The company expects delivery of Celebrity Edge in Fall 2018. Celebrity Beyond is scheduled for delivery in Spring 2020, and the third and fourth Edge Class ships in Fall 2021 and Fall 2022, respectively."

Celebrity did not express itself to me well that's why I was confused

That's why I opened another post to ask if anyone knows something

"the departure is only in 2019" That was the Text from Celebrity about Beyond

then I said I'm surprised I thought Beyond would not come until 2020. they did not improve me. So I thought Beyond is ready in 2019

Celebrity did not express itself to me well that's why I was confused

That's why I opened another post to ask if anyone knows something

"the departure is only in 2019" That was the Text from Celebrity about Beyond

then I said I'm surprised I thought Beyond would not come until 2020. they did not improve me. So I thought Beyond is ready in 2019

There is a possibility that Beyond could be delivered at the end of 2019. It wouldn’t be the first time a ship was delivered early. 😉

If construction of the Edge continues to move along at a steady pace without any setbacks and she is delivered on time, that might mean that Beyond's construction and delivery could be sooner. After all, the Fall of 2019 is only several months earlier than the Spring of 2020

I heared from Celebrity on Facebook that the Beyond will start in 2019... not 2020

There is a possibility that Beyond could be delivered at the end of 2019. It wouldn’t be the first time a ship was delivered early. ��

If construction of the Edge continues to move along at a steady pace without any setbacks and she is delivered on time, that might mean that Beyond's construction and delivery could be sooner. After all, the Fall of 2019 is only several months earlier than the Spring of 2020

I have been following cruise ship builds for almost a decade. It is rare that a ship is completed significantly early. I know of none that have been completed month's ahead of schedule. A week or two, occasionally, but not more. For a cruise line, a ship they have to pay for several months early would create financial issues for the company. It would be quite difficult to schedule cruises and fill them enough to make money for those early months. Instead, they typically plan for a very specific date to take ownership, and almost immediately begin sailing cruises to itineraries planned years in advance with booking commencing many months ahead of time.

The cruise line needs the ship to begin repaying the nearly $1 billion dollar investment immediately. They don't want to be paying interest on that large a loan and have it sitting around unused and not be earning the money to cover that commitment. That, and the challenge of fully staffing a ship earlier than expected would cause significant difficulties for the cruise line.

Edited by sloopsailor

Thanks for taking up all that space to quote the pictures you don't even refer to!