"Sea Days" on December sailing out of NYC..how is the weather?

5kitty

We will be sailing out of New York on a December cruise. I know that the weather in NY will be cold on the day we depart and return to NY. For those of you who have cruised out of NY before the holidays, how is the weather on the "sea days" before and after the Cape Canaveral and Bahamas stops? In reading reviews, some people have stated that it is too windy and cold to use the pool areas, rope courses etc. on the first full sea day heading south and the two seas heading back to NY. If the pool is closed, will deck chairs still be available? Hot tubs? Thanks.

We will be sailing out of New York on a December cruise. I know that the weather in NY will be cold on the day we depart and return to NY. For those of you who have cruised out of NY before the holidays, how is the weather on the "sea days" before and after the Cape Canaveral and Bahamas stops? In reading reviews, some people have stated that it is too windy and cold to use the pool areas, rope courses etc. on the first full sea day heading south and the two seas heading back to NY. If the pool is closed, will deck chairs still be available? Hot tubs? Thanks.

We sailed on the Jewel out of NYC about 3 Decembers ago. First day at sea out, and last day at sea back were too chilly to "sun bathe" but we did more indoor things on those two days. The other days were not Summer like, but could still be in a bathing suite on a lounger if in the sun. Deck chairs were available, pool & hot tubs open. It was really cool sailing out of New York harbor as it was dark by the time we sailed and all the building were lit up. It was lightly raining and we were in Winter coats, but one of the best sail aways I remember.

I will disagree, with all, you leave New York at 5 pm so when you awake the first sea day you will be off the coast of the Carolinas. to sturdy northeastern folks it will seem warm, to those from south of New York maybe not. As for the return to New York unless you intend to swim at midnight, the weather will be fine until at least Sunset on the final day of cruise. Only time I have had an issue with the pools, was following a hurricane up the coast to end cruise, but then they closed all open air areas of the ship anyway, so I couldn't use the pool.

All depends on mother nature. We sail many times out of NY in the winter. DD and BFF (plus many others) were in pools and hot tubs first sea day - it was beautiful weather the whole trip, but, once in June the outside decks were closed first sea day, due to high winds. You can never predict, but there is nothing as beautiful as a NY sailaway. Unbelievable

Safe sailing

Thanks so much for your responses. Living in the North East, I know that the weather can be unpredictable. Good to hear that many of you enjoyed the pool and other deck activities after leaving NYC.

Going out and coming back in will be cold...maybe even snow on the open decks....but the captains job is to get you somewhere warm...fast....they want everyone to be out and have a good time....(and buy drinks!)...(well, atleast that's how it was before the UBP)....hopefully the weather will cooperate and you should be able to enjoy the open decks on your second day...

• 2 years later...

Sorry to reopen the topic, but the question I have hinges off of this. I noticed that balcony rooms are considerably cheaper during this time. Is that because they are colder than Oceanview or Inside rooms during that time of year?

Not in a million years.   The problem is, you will have to be south of Cape Canaveral in December to have an outside sea day.    It will be the end of the second day that it will be nice enough.      Two days cold on the way down, two days cold days on the way back.    Fly to Miami and enjoy your cruise.    

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Insane24Se7en said:

Sorry to reopen the topic, but the question I have hinges off of this. I noticed that balcony rooms are considerably cheaper during this time. Is that because they are colder than Oceanview or Inside rooms during that time of year?

Yes

We take an annual trip out of NY cruising in November / December...and it is cold and rough those first 2 days!!!

I attached photos from the Gem this past Thanksgiving - there were 4 inches of snow accumulated from the time we boarded to the time we sailed. It was so rough, we lost 1/2 of the glassware in the cupboards, and I was tossed right out of bed into the bedside table - had quite a nice lump on my head! 

The crew had it really rough - they are in the lowest berths in the front and back of the ship - with the most movement. Even the most seasoned staff were looking grey the next morning. That being said, 24 hours later, it was 75-80 and sunny....seas super calm, and we had a blissful week. 

On the way back - same thing...the last 2 days are pretty consistently rough and it's freezing outside. This is great incentive to book a longer cruise - on a regular 7 day stint, you will not be able to enjoy warm weather except for a few days.

It's one of the reasons we spend the extra money for the Haven in the winter - enclosed pool and deck = sun and warmth on the coldest days. The pool (very small but absolutely adequate) and hot tubs will be closed / drained if the seas are too rough but the deck is open and you get to enjoy a bright, sunny, calm area that is sheltered. 

Have a great trip - and book mid-ship / high floor if you think you will have any sea-sickness. Amy

snow1.JPG

snow2.JPG

snow3.JPG

You never really know.  I have sailed out of New York on about 5 Christmas cruises, as I am a teacher and that is when I am off.  I remember a few years ago when we embarked on Christmas eve and it happened to be a mild day. People were in the hot tubs before we left. Another time, we left in a snow storm and the crew were building snowmen on the pool deck.   I always figure the first sea day and last sea day are too cold to sit by pool, but the captain moves slow on the way back, so the first sea day coming back is usually warm.  You really never know what the weather will be like.

19 hours ago, Insane24Se7en said:

We no longer get balcony rooms out of NYC.  When sailing at high speeds they whistle & you can hear the howling wind.  It just kept me up.  

We do splurge on a balcony when we embark from Florida or San Juan but not NYC.