"Passenger" Tour Guide on Roll Calls

fshagan

Sometime back there was a thread about a passenger who joins roll calls offering people to join his "private tour", but he's really a tour guide and getting a financial incentive to conduct the tours. Does anyone remember where it is? It was in a thread about NCL excursions, and I'm trying to see if the poster is back under a new name.

Sometime back there was a thread about a passenger who joins roll calls offering people to join his "private tour", but he's really a tour guide and getting a financial incentive to conduct the tours. Does anyone remember where it is? It was in a thread about NCL excursions, and I'm trying to see if the poster is back under a new name.

It was probably deleted by moderator since that type of organizing is not allowed.

He says he doesn't have any financial interest in the tours, so it may not be the same person. I just wish I could find the threads warning about the person who was doing it previously. People ended up taking the "shared tours" and found out the guy himself was getting his tours paid for by collecting more from everyone else, and in some cases he was the "tour guide" and was paying himself. I'm suspicious by nature when someone comes across too polished and most posts he has on CC is about sharing a tour with him.

Years ago there was Storm'n Norm - aka CruiseDuo - that only posted about his organized tours. He was an avid cruiser but never offered any suggestions, experiences or advise. He just posted about the great tours he would be happy to organize and share.

He is long gone from CC but is now on the site that shall not be named. Over the years I have been on 3 or 4 of the same cruises with him and he only posted about excursions in the roll calls.

I don't doubt that there are other people that are doing the same thing. I have run into a couple of questionable people. But the mods are pretty good at seeing this behavior and take the necessary steps to stop it.

If I doubt the sincerity of people just wanting to get a group together instead of trying to make a $ I stay away from them.

If you responded in anyway to that thread you can check your history by going to your profile. Just a thought

That's a good idea. The archive in my profile only goes back to July, 2016 (I think that's when the new software was rolled out here on CC), and I didn't see the thread in there. But I will remember that next time I'm searching for something. Thanks!

I believe some who use roll calls to organize tours get benefits for thems elves by signing up others.

I have become acquainted with some of the tour guides at various ports and have been offered free tours if I bring people.

Since I never book tours in advance, the offers don't get my attention. The tours I book after I arrive are lower priced than those I see on the roll calls, and I can select the items that interest us rather than take a designed tour.

It happens. I organized one where I got a small discount for being the leader, I just let everyone know and no one had a problem (we're talking $20 on a $100 tour). There's nothing wrong with that IF you let people know, it can be some effort to set up and manage these things.

I believe some who use roll calls to organize tours get benefits for thems elves by signing up others.

I have become acquainted with some of the tour guides at various ports and have been offered free tours if I bring people.

Since I never book tours in advance, the offers don't get my attention. The tours I book after I arrive are lower priced than those I see on the roll calls, and I can select the items that interest us rather than take a designed tour.

There are folks around and I know of one person who is organizing tours for a particular sailing on another cruise line. Of course, there are people on the roll call who absolutely rave about this individual and have been on tours with him in the past. He does not say what, if any, "benefits" he receives from any of the tour operators and he also does not conduct any tours on which he IS the guide, the tour operator, etc., but he is, rather, only a participant.

Yes I have heard of that too. I say go to your roll call and sign up for tours I know there are incentives that if you book 3 tours, you get some money off (italytoursharing.com does that) but then you go ahead and share with others in your group.

I personally have used many companies in Italy and the ones highly recommended are italytoursharing.com and RIL tours and Joe Banana LImos(I've used all). Im not sure if anyone works for these companies on the forum but I doubt it as they just are great companies to use for Italy tours. I think the forum keeps pretty good track of this (trolls).

Once about 5 years back, i joined some tours in italy where the gal had her travel agent book all the tours, so perhaps the agent got some sort of kick back.