January 1988 Itineraries Fairstar/Fairsky

I recently travelled on Sun Princess and had a wonderful time and realised that I would like to do a lot more cruising. I also discovered that previous P & O cruises contributed to Captains circle days, regardless of how long ago. I have only cruised once before in 1988. I have contacted the Customer Service, who will not credit the days without the exact departure date and no of days provided. Does anyone know where old itineraries can be sourced please;)

I was faced with same problem, having sailed many times since 1959. I found that Princess were great. I only had the different years of the sailings, not months that I sailed, but they credited me with an average of 10 days per cruise. I really lost out in the long run as some of my trips were relocations, ie to Canada, from England etc but luckily after a few recent trips I'm now Elite, even though the majority of my cruises were on P&O.

Maybe you should make another phone call and speak to another customer service person. You might get a different answer.

I was faced with same problem, having sailed many times since 1959. I found that Princess were great. I only had the different years of the sailings, not months that I sailed, but they credited me with an average of 10 days per cruise. I really lost out in the long run as some of my trips were relocations, ie to Canada, from England etc but luckily after a few recent trips I'm now Elite, even though the majority of my cruises were on P&O.

Maybe you should make another phone call and speak to another customer service person. You might get a different answer.

I am also very interested in this topic. I cruised as a teenager on P&O Orsova, I think it was in the late 60's or early seventies. I have asked my father and the only clue he could give was that we were the second cruise ship to visit Tonga. In those days the cruises were longer than now. I have one P&O cruise coming up in a couple of weeks and then a long Princess cruise at the end of the year, so any help towards my Captains Circle I would like!:) I had wondered with the days of internet and google, whether past cruise schedules were listed, but I have been unable to find. I will be watching this topic with much interest. Cheryle

Hi Grandma07012007 & resordanis,

I should be able to help both of you. For Fairstar cruises this site:

http://www.tssfairstar.com/

has a lot of data, plus all the itineries. If you can't get the data here, please give me more details of itineries and approximate dates and I can help out more. I have all the Fairstar brochures from the late 70's on.

Orsova will be a littleharder but not impossible, I have a lot of brochures for her but not a complete set. If you can let me know approximate date - let's say a year and some of the other ports and it should be possible to try to work it out. BTW I sailed on Orsova out of Southampton in April 1972, she was fresh back from Australia then.

Lets see what we can do, I love a challenge!

It would be easier to do this by email, however there are some people who frequent here that I would not trust with my email address, so I am sorry that a more personal approach is not possible, still should be able to sort it for you though.

Cheers,

Because you have already cruised on Princess, go to their website and then to My Princess, here it will tell you your previous sailings with them, go to that section and you will see your previous cruise with them listed and under that a section you can add previous cruises with P@0 and Sitmar.

I added ours that we did in the 80's and 90's by the month and year only and they then became part of my cruising days, I didn't get credited with any days for 1961 the year my family migrated here but from 1984 onwards we did.

I never had to make any phone calls and now whenever I book a new cruise it appears on the list and the list also tells you your total cruising days, we are sooooooo close to ELITE but no cruise booked at the moment.

I had the same issue.

Fortunately after much hunting I found my boarding passes for my cruises for 1988 & 1989 :rolleyes::eek:. (DH was not pleased to know there was a reason for keeping rubbish)

When onboard in December I tried to get my cruises added by the Captains Circle Customer Services, but until I had COMPLETED by 'first' Princess cruise my cruises couldn't be added!

When I added these cruises to 'My Princess' it only credited me 10 days each, when they are 28 & 29 days respectively. So I have to get adjusted the next time I cruise Princess. :o

So when I next cruise I will be upgraded to Platinum Status.

I went to find back issues of Cruise Travel magazine at

http://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:01995111?rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=120

Every so often in the year, they post all ships cruise itineraries by date. My wife remebered her ports and general month, and we were able to find exact cruise dates.

She got her Captains Club credit for a cruise 12 years ago.

has a lot of data, plus all the itineries. If you can't get the data here, please give me more details of itineries and approximate dates and I can help out more. I have all the Fairstar brochures from the late 70's on.

Orsova will be a littleharder but not impossible, I have a lot of brochures for her but not a complete set. If you can let me know approximate date - let's say a year and some of the other ports and it should be possible to try to work it out. BTW I sailed on Orsova out of Southampton in April 1972, she was fresh back from Australia then.

It would be easier to do this by email, however there are some people who frequent here that I would not trust with my email address, so I am sorry that a more personal approach is not possible, still should be able to sort it for you though.

Cheers,

Hi David, Thanks for your assistance. We cruised twice on Orsova. The first I think was 1969 and we cruised to Suva, Lautoka, Noumea. The second cruise was in 1971 and probably both were in the summer school holidays. We cruised to Tonga, Pago Pago, Auckland and I think Melbourne. Not sure if we went back to Fiji again. I also think the 1971 cruises was close to it going back to the UK as I became friends with some crew and we corresponded until the ship came back to Australia. As I mentioned I spoke to my father and the only thing he could remember was that we were the second cruise ship to go to Tonga. We had a flood here some years ago and Dad lost all his memorabillia so he can't help and me being a teenager then, can only remember the cruises and the good times not the times and dates. Both cruises on Orsova were when they had 2 class ships. I think it changed a little later. I understand your email frustration. Mine is cdotdaines1atgmaildotcom

I have been trying to sort thru this since we booked our P&O cruise and also our princess cruise and have come to a dead end, so any help is appreciated.

Regards Cheryle:D

Hi David, Thanks for your assistance. We cruised twice on Orsova. The first I think was 1969 and we cruised to Suva, Lautoka, Noumea. The second cruise was in 1971 and probably both were in the summer school holidays. We cruised to Tonga, Pago Pago, Auckland and I think Melbourne. Not sure if we went back to Fiji again. I also think the 1971 cruises was close to it going back to the UK as I became friends with some crew and we corresponded until the ship came back to Australia. As I mentioned I spoke to my father and the only thing he could remember was that we were the second cruise ship to go to Tonga. We had a flood here some years ago and Dad lost all his memorabillia so he can't help and me being a teenager then, can only remember the cruises and the good times not the times and dates. Both cruises on Orsova were when they had 2 class ships. I think it changed a little later. I understand your email frustration. Mine is cdotdaines1atgmaildotcom

I have been trying to sort thru this since we booked our P&O cruise and also our princess cruise and have come to a dead end, so any help is appreciated.

Regards Cheryle:D

Hi Cheryle,

Thanks for that, I will have a look and see what I can find for you.

Orsova stayed two-class right to the end, in part that is why she did not survive. During the early 1970's Canberra had been based out of New York for a series of cruises, for various reasons these cruises were not a sucess and she was laid up. In the meantime, Orsova was doing quite well based out of Southampton. She was refitted in advance of a World Cruise (rather than a line voyage), but retained her two class configuration. Bookings for this cruise were so strong however that P&O decided to bring Canberra in to take over the cruise, she was also more easily adapted to a single class configuration.

The fact that Orsova had not been converted to one class and her elder sister Oronsay had ensured that Oronsay was retained until late 1975, while the newer Orsova was scrapped.

Orsova was special in many ways, she was the first large passanger liner completed with an all-welded hull, and the first without a traditional signal mast, the steaming lights being mounted on the fore side of the funnel.

Cheers,

Hi Cheryle,

Thanks for that, I will have a look and see what I can find for you.

Orsova stayed two-class right to the end, in part that is why she did not survive. During the early 1970's Canberra had been based out of New York for a series of cruises, for various reasons these cruises were not a sucess and she was laid up. In the meantime, Orsova was doing quite well based out of Southampton. She was refitted in advance of a World Cruise (rather than a line voyage), but retained her two class configuration. Bookings for this cruise were so strong however that P&O decided to bring Canberra in to take over the cruise, she was also more easily adapted to a single class configuration.

The fact that Orsova had not been converted to one class and her elder sister Oronsay had ensured that Oronsay was retained until late 1975, while the newer Orsova was scrapped.

Orsova was special in many ways, she was the first large passanger liner completed with an all-welded hull, and the first without a traditional signal mast, the steaming lights being mounted on the fore side of the funnel.

Cheers,

Thanks David,

Any information will help! I had all but given up until I saw this post this morning.

It certainly was a different time to cruise. The room steward would bring coffee and breakfast in bed! The first cruise our whole family was in a cabin on F deck. We had a porthole, but it was always underwater. We also shared a bathroom with about 10 other cabins. This was second class.

The next cruise must have been a good year for my parents, as we cruised first class, 2 to a cabin, large window and ensuite, this is where the breakfast in bed came in! There were many changes, but as a teenager we used to sneek thru the door to second class at times as there was very little for teenagers to do in first class. It was easy to get into second class, the door was not locked from the first class side, but difficult to get back as the door was locked.

Thanks again. It is good to look back to these days, not sure whether they were better or not to cruising today! Cheryle

Hi Cheryle,

All I can say is agrrrrrr......I have the 1968 schedule and not 1969!! For 1968 Orsova did 3 cruises leaving on January 6th to Suva and Nuku'alofa, January 18th to Suva and January 27th to Suva, Auckland and Bay of Islands. She would then have returned to England. 1969 would likely have been much the same with a voyage out from England, a few cruises and then a return after the Australian summer.

For 1972 I have the schedule after she got back to the UK. In between I have bits and pieces, however they are not the Australian cruises, rather the line voyages and segments that she was doing!! No matter, all is not yet lost so give me a couple of days more and I will see what I can come up with.

Out of interest I love the slogan on the 1968 ad - "Go gay - go Cruising with P&O in '68" - I kid you not!

Edited by Shiprobbo

Hi Cheryle,

All I can say is agrrrrrr......I have the 1968 schedule and not 1969!! For 1968 Orsova did 3 cruises leaving on January 6th to Suva and Nuku'alofa, January 18th to Suva and January 27th to Suva, Auckland and Bay of Islands. She would then have returned to England. 1969 would likely have been much the same with a voyage out from England, a few cruises and then a return after the Australian summer.

For 1972 I have the schedule after she got back to the UK. In between I have bits and pieces, however they are not the Australian cruises, rather the line voyages and segments that she was doing!! No matter, all is not yet lost so give me a couple of days more and I will see what I can come up with.

Out of interest I love the slogan on the 1968 ad - "Go gay - go Cruising with P&O in '68" - I kid you not!

Hi David,

I really do appreciate your help! There is absolutely no hurry.....I have waited this long! It was just something I decided I would look into once I decided to cruise again with P&O and Princess. I am going to prompt my Dad again in the next few days, and do some searching of photos that I might have and I might be able to come up with some more information. I do like the slogan....imagine using it now!!!! Thanks again. Cheryle

My first cruise was in 1959 on the Strathmore and we were the first cruise ship in more than 30 years (I think it was) to stop in Tonga. Queen Salote was alive then and she came aboard for dinner and for some of her people to dance for us. The island only had Tongans living there, except for missionaries. Queen Salote wanted her people to remain full blooded and not tainted by other races!!! She only allowed passengers ashore - no crew were permitted. Don't think she must have trusted them, not to be beguiled with the beautiful girls of Tonga. The island had a public holiday and the children lined up waving flags as we passed in the "tour bus" which was a ute!!!

Back on topic.........when I was chasing up my previous cruises - I was advised that even photos would help (I presume with ship in background or on board)

My first cruise was in 1959 on the Strathmore and we were the first cruise ship in more than 30 years (I think it was) to stop in Tonga. Queen Salote was alive then and she came aboard for dinner and for some of her people to dance for us. The island only had Tongans living there, except for missionaries. Queen Salote wanted her people to remain full blooded and not tainted by other races!!! She only allowed passengers ashore - no crew were permitted. Don't think she must have trusted them, not to be beguiled with the beautiful girls of Tonga. The island had a public holiday and the children lined up waving flags as we passed in the "tour bus" which was a ute!!!

Back on topic.........when I was chasing up my previous cruises - I was advised that even photos would help (I presume with ship in background or on board)

Hi, It is interesting reading about these past times!! My father informs me that we were the second cruise ship to visit (so you must have been the first). It is strange that it was so many years later. Queen Salote was also alive then and apparently (according to Dad) all tours (yes open top vans) had to go via her residence first! I remember the tour well and I think it put me off tours for life, it included a visit to the cemetery. I can tell you as a teenager, this was not the thing I wanted to do!

Also back on the topic....I have just email P&O and asked them what they require. It might be simple ...who knows , but I am sure I probably cannot supply the information. In those days we did not even need a passport for travel on a cruise ship!

Thanks to all

Cheryle

Thanks David, I believe I travelled on Cruise 55, the first full the year. I am so grategul for your help. ;):D:o:) There was so much talk of the "partying" on the cruise that covered New Years Eve.:) This cruise went in reverse due to the cyclones. We also had a small island added and missed the stop in Fiji.:mad:

• 1 year later...

Cheers,

Hello,

I'm looking for brochure or any other info on the Orsova that left Auckland in July 1972, bound for Sydney. Could have been July 11, arrived for sure July 14. We were on that ship and I'm curious about it. thanks,Stephanie

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Because you have already cruised on Princess, go to their website and then to My Princess, here it will tell you your previous sailings with them, go to that section and you will see your previous cruise with them listed and under that a section you can add previous cruises with P@0 and Sitmar.

I added ours that we did in the 80's and 90's by the month and year only and they then became part of my cruising days, I didn't get credited with any days for 1961 the year my family migrated here but from 1984 onwards we did.

I never had to make any phone calls and now whenever I book a new cruise it appears on the list and the list also tells you your total cruising days, we are sooooooo close to ELITE but no cruise booked at the moment.

Hi stumbled across this thread and it addressed my query about adding Fairstar cruise from early 90s. Took this tip and within 24 hours was added. Also interesting that that cries was under my maiden name and current details are in my maiden name. Now added and counting towards next level!

Thanks saved time and correspondence.