Cruise Terminal in Osaka

Jarronwood

Next year in March are cruise ends in Osaka (we are on the Azamara Quest) and we need to be at Kansai Airport for a 11 am flight.

Ive e mailed a few taxi/private hire companies who have quoted somewhere in the region of $230 - $300 which I think is quite expensive.

However, I have also been looking on the Airport Bus Site "kate" and it seems we can get a blue airport bus which departs at the Temprozan (sp) Pier at 7.20 and takes about an hour at a cost of 1500 yen (£8.50 something each). Does anyone know where exactly the cruise ship will dock and how far it would be to walk to the place where we can get on the airport bus? Walking is nota problem at all - just trying to wheel a couple of cases as well could be.

Or if anyone has any other ideas I would be very grateful.

You will likely be docked at Tempozan Passenger Terminal (google Osaka cruise terminal) which looks like the area where the bus picks up at. http://www.kate.co.jp/en/timetable/detail/NU

The bus sounds like a good option since the airport is pretty far away - 30 miles. Make sure you can disembark early enough to take that bus though it looks like it runs hourly. Taking the metro will require transfering to the train. Directions from google maps indicate the trip is around 80 minutes (and you are also travelling in rush hour).

Edited by movc

• 3 weeks later...

If you can, disembark with your suitcases, don't let the ship handle them. We disembarked in Osaka from a much smaller ship than yours (Ponant's L'Austral)and watched the baggage handlers take each suitcase by hand and put them up in orderly lines on the pier from which we took them and went through customs to the outside of the building. We had gone through passport control in our first Japanese port, but Osaka was the first with luggage.

The ship let us disembark before the official time indicated. We had a car waiting outside that took us downtown for the start of our land tour.

• 1 month later...

Tempozan Terminal is right next to the Tempozan building and is easy to navigate. Your other alternative is via train, which eliminates possible traffic issues. I travel to Osaka a few times every year and it is very easy to navigate via train. Depending on what time your ship docks it may be safer via train if you need to be on a flight for 11am. If it is an international flight you need to be there a couple of hours earlier so that would be around 9am. Saying you get in at 6am and can be off by 7am the subway station is a simple 10 minute walk with luggage. The station is Osakako, where you can get on the Chuo line (green line) to Hommachi and swap to the Midosuji Line (red line) to Namba. There is an express train, or a slightly slower airport train (extra 10 minutes) that leaves regularly. The subway to Namba will take 20-25 minutes and the Nankai Express Rapid train to the airport takes 35-40 minutes. If you are on the subway really early you won't have an issue with luggage. You can use hyperdia.com to work out trains and prices very easily. Definitely don't take a taxi as it will be far too expensive.

Tempozan Terminal is right next to the Tempozan building and is easy to navigate. Your other alternative is via train, which eliminates possible traffic issues. I travel to Osaka a few times every year and it is very easy to navigate via train. Depending on what time your ship docks it may be safer via train if you need to be on a flight for 11am. If it is an international flight you need to be there a couple of hours earlier so that would be around 9am. Saying you get in at 6am and can be off by 7am the subway station is a simple 10 minute walk with luggage. The station is Osakako, where you can get on the Chuo line (green line) to Hommachi and swap to the Midosuji Line (red line) to Namba. There is an express train, or a slightly slower airport train (extra 10 minutes) that leaves regularly. The subway to Namba will take 20-25 minutes and the Nankai Express Rapid train to the airport takes 35-40 minutes. If you are on the subway really early you won't have an issue with luggage. You can use hyperdia.com to work out trains and prices very easily. Definitely don't take a taxi as it will be far too expensive.

Thank you for your advice, our ship docks two days before the end of the cruise in Osaka so departing from the ship should not be a problem. We will have three big suitcases plus a little bit of hand luggage hence asking how far would we have to wheel them to the bus terminal? Don't really fancy two trains with luggage.

Edited by Jarronwood
Hadnt finished typing

• 2 years later...
Tempozan Terminal is right next to the Tempozan building and is easy to navigate. I travel to Osaka a few times every year and it is very easy to navigate via train. The subway station is a simple 10 minute walk with luggage. The station is Osakako, where you can get on the Chuo line (green line) to Hommachi and swap to the Midosuji Line (red line) to Namba. ....

At end of April, our ship will be at Osaka port from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on a Sunday. I am thinking of taking the subway to Osaka Castle and also to the Shinsaibashi area.

So the subway station is only a 10 minutes' walk from the Tempozan cruise terminal?? The subway station by the cruise terminal is Osakako?

Looking at the subway route map, I cannot tell if I need to take the Midosuji Line (red) or Yotsubashi Line (blue) to go to Shinsaibashi. Also, which station to get off to go to the Osaka Castle?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. :)

At end of April, our ship will be at Osaka port from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on a Sunday. I am thinking of taking the subway to Osaka Castle and also to the Shinsaibashi area.

So the subway station is only a 10 minutes' walk from the Tempozan cruise terminal?? The subway station by the cruise terminal is Osakako?

Looking at the subway route map, I cannot tell if I need to take the Midosuji Line (red) or Yotsubashi Line (blue) to go to Shinsaibashi. Also, which station to get off to go to the Osaka Castle?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. :)

We are on the same cruise I’m guessing. Osaka is my home away from home (18th trip). Subway is super easy to get to from port and yes it is Osakako the green line. Catch it to Hommachi and swap to the red line. From here it’s straight down to Shinsaibashi which has lots of exits and you can easily get lost if you don’t know your exit. If it’s your first visit perhaps go to Namba and come out the main exit. The station is directly across the road from Shinsaibashi Suji shopping street.

Here’s a link to a very old blog of mine with directions for Shinsaibashi Suji.

http://japan2011itinerary.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/

We are on the same cruise I’m guessing. Osaka is my home away from home (18th trip). Subway is super easy to get to from port and yes it is Osakako the green line. Catch it to Hommachi and swap to the red line. From here it’s straight down to Shinsaibashi which has lots of exits and you can easily get lost if you don’t know your exit. If it’s your first visit perhaps go to Namba and come out the main exit. The station is directly across the road from Shinsaibashi Suji shopping street.

Here’s a link to a very old blog of mine with directions for Shinsaibashi Suji.

http://japan2011itinerary.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/

Thank you for the valuable information.

You said "go to Namba and come out the main exit". Are you saying do not get off at the Shinsaibashi stop (red line), but instead, go to the Blue or pink line and get off at the Namba? If not, then at the Shinsaibashi stop (red line), there is an exit called Namba?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for the valuable information.

You said "go to Namba and come out the main exit". Are you saying do not get off at the Shinsaibashi stop (red line), but instead, go to the Blue or pink line and get off at the Namba? If not, then at the Shinsaibashi stop (red line), there is an exit called Namba?

Thank you for your assistance.

When you swap to the red line at Hommachi the next stop will be Shinsaibashi then Namba. Get off at either but Namba just easier to navigate your exits. Either way make sure you’ve looked on google maps at the exit numbers so you know which exit for what you want to do. Shinsaibashi Suji is a fantastic shopping street that runs from Namba station up past Shinsaibashi station. Dontonbori is closer to the Namba end. Loads of cheap eating places around Namba.

When you swap to the red line at Hommachi the next stop will be Shinsaibashi then Namba. Get off at either but Namba just easier to navigate your exits. Either way make sure you’ve looked on google maps at the exit numbers so you know which exit for what you want to do. Shinsaibashi Suji is a fantastic shopping street that runs from Namba station up past Shinsaibashi station. Dontonbori is closer to the Namba end. Loads of cheap eating places around Namba.

I want to go to Shinsaibashi Suji. If I get off at the Namba stop, which exit should I use to get to S. Suji? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Have any Osaka regulars ever docked at Chuo Tottei Pier or know the location?

We are supposed to disembark there instead of Tempozan. Thanks

Where was that info. I’ve previously docked at Tempozan with Princess?

Have any Osaka regulars ever docked at Chuo Tottei Pier or know the location?

We are supposed to disembark there instead of Tempozan. Thanks

Quickly looked on net and Tottei is apparently within walking distance to Osakako subway so must be close to Tempozan anyway.

Its great to have all you Osaka experts here :). The last time I was in Osaka was for Expo 70....but we are returning in a few weeks for a couple of different cruise days. So here is my question. What is the best way to get from the cruise terminal to Kyoto? I know there are multiple options...but simply looking for the most convenient. No problem walking to the subway (or anywhere else) if we can find our way.

Hank

Hi Hank I tried to look up the additional details for you on my e mail folder but couldn't find it.

I had the same question as you do back in 2013 for a 2014 cruise we were on where I had all of this arranged after getting input on Cruise Critic.

Unfortunately I took ill two days before on that cruise in Yokohama (first time taken off a ship in a stretcher and in an ambulance and thankfully we had an overnight as we were able to get the medical clearance to get back on ship after several hours of tests at the local hospital) but with this port coming up so quickly we cancelled our plans. A few days later I was back to normal. Anyway our plans was the train but I can't find my notes.

I am sure someone will give you directions.

Keith