Sydney Hotel Help

I’m traveling to Sydney in March, 2019 for a Princess Cruise. Since I’ve never been to Australia before any suggestions as to what area to stay in would be helpful. Looking for something reasonably priced.

Of course with public transportation nearby would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

It would help if you gave us an idea of what you consider reasonably priced and what quality of hotel you want, but as a general guideline:

The Rocks and Circular Quay area is the best location but hotels there aren't the cheapest.

There are cheaper hotels at the other end of the city, near Central Station.

Also do a search on Sydney Hotels in this forum and in the Australia/NZ Ports of Call forum. There is a lot of info there.

It would help if you gave us an idea of what you consider reasonably priced and what quality of hotel you want, but as a general guideline:

The Rocks and Circular Quay area is the best location but hotels there aren't the cheapest.

There are cheaper hotels at the other end of the city, near Central Station.

Also do a search on Sydney Hotels in this forum and in the Australia/NZ Ports of Call forum. There is a lot of info there.

Thanks for your tips. I considering up to $150 US$ for an hotel.

Another forum talked about the OPT area or a “Serviced Apartment “

Any thoughts about a Serviced Apartment or the OPT area & a site to look at for Serviced Apartment rentals.

Thanks again.

Tom

Edited by trbarton

Thanks again.

Tom

That will limit your accommodation options close to Circular Quay, the Rocks, the CBD. Where will your ship be berthed? at the Quay or White Bay? How many nights do you plan to spend in Sydney before or after your cruise?

Another forum talked about the OPT area or a “Serviced Apartment “

Any thoughts about a Serviced Apartment or the OPT area & a site to look at for Serviced Apartment rentals.

Thanks again.

Tom

So around AU $200-210 per night. Could be tricky. Unfortunately it's a bit too early to see prices for March 2019, you really need to wait another month or so.

The OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) area is Circular Quay and the Rocks. There are a few smaller hotels that may fit in that price range but I'm not sure what they are like.

Serviced apartments are great. We've used them quite a bit when travelling around Australia and NZ. They have the advantage having cooking and laundry facilities. Some will appear on the hotel booking websites, others you book through Airbnb.

What I suggest you do is do some searches, as I mentioned earlier, and look at what is recommended. Check them out on Tripadvisor and build yourself a short list of ones that might be affordable. This is what we do when we're planning overseas trips. Then wait until the March 2019 prices start showing.

That will limit your accommodation options close to Circular Quay, the Rocks, the CBD. Where will your ship be berthed? at the Quay or White Bay? How many nights do you plan to spend in Sydney before or after your cruise?

Two nights pre-cruise. Ship leaves from Circular Quay.

I’ve searched & found one hotel, Mercantile Hotel, in the Sydney Central Businesy District that is reasonably priced, $160 per night. Is this a good area. From the photos it seems like a lot of stores & restaurants in the area.

Tom

I stayed at the Sydney boulevard hotel last month before my last cruise with the sister and her family. We paid $1104 nzd for two rooms for 6 of us. Sorry not sure what that was in usd. [emoji51]

You have to walk around 10-15 minutes to get to Westfield but I didn’t mind that. It would be a bit of a hike to the train station too.

I sailed from white bay so we booked transfers at final payment time. I don’t think we got an especially great price but the driver did let me sit upfront and ignore the little monsters in the back [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m traveling to Sydney in March, 2019 for a Princess Cruise. Since I’ve never been to Australia before any suggestions as to what area to stay in would be helpful. Looking for something reasonably priced.

Thanks for your help!

Tom[emoji3]

We loved the HYATT. Not reasonable but great location and hospitality. Would stay there again on a NYM

A nice hotel is Travelodge Wynyard within the price you want.

I minute walk to the centre of the city and all transport a 10 minute walk to circular quay when you are ready to board your cruise,with plenty of restaurants around at all price ranges.

I stay at this hotel when I visit Sydney on business and it has never disappointed m

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A nice hotel is Travelodge Wynyard within the price you want.

I minute walk to the centre of the city and all transport a 10 minute walk to circular quay when you are ready to board your cruise,with plenty of restaurants around at all price ranges.

I stay at this hotel when I visit Sydney on business and it has never disappointed m

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just looked at there web site for February next year at $254 per night.

Tom

Two nights pre-cruise. Ship leaves from Circular Quay.

I’ve searched & found one hotel, Mercantile Hotel, in the Sydney Central Businesy District that is reasonably priced, $160 per night. Is this a good area. From the photos it seems like a lot of stores & restaurants in the area.

Tom

Tom,

The Mercantile Hotel is a pub in the Rocks, not far from the OPT, so is ideally situated but I would guess the price you saw was for a room with a shared bathroom. Those rooms with ensuite bathrooms are over $A200 per night. The accommodation is above the bar areas of the pub and I would think would be very noisy. The photos I saw, the rooms look quite basic.

Good luck in your search. Enjoy your visit to Sydney.

Leigh

I just looked at there web site for February next year at $254 per night.

Tom

And other than a pub (bar probablyin your terms) about as cheap as you’ll get other than something as basic as the IBIS, Sydney is consistently rated one of the worlds most expensive cities

$A254 is pretty good for middle of Sydney,also you fly in a train from the airport to the Travelodge $A25p.p.your easy walking to Harbour Bridge,Opera House the ferry system that takes you all around Sydney Harbour

Thanks for your help!

Tom[emoji3]

I’m staying at the Rendezvous At The Rocks. Join their frequent user club, TFE, & get 10% off your booking. Book direct thru them, I got double for 3 nights in Feb for 820 AUD. That’s about $642.00 US. Can walk to the Quay & Opera House. Great location as well to old Sydney. Lots of pubs & shopping. Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Through another post I found the “Hotel Challis 21-23 Challis Avenue, Potts Point, Potts Point, 2011 Sydney.” For a king size room only $136 US per night. It has nothing but positive reviews plus no payment required in advance.

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton