Landing at MIA but cruising from FLL, where to stay pre cruise?

bigjcruiser

Hi,

We are flying into Miami, landing around 6.30pm coming from the UK but changing in Philadelphia on the way, ahead of a cruise from Port Everglades the next day. Would you advise to stay at MIA that night and travel in the morning to the port or head over to the port that evening and stay nearer there so less travel the following day?

Also any advise on which hotels are best? Just want something cheap and cheerful as would only be a bed for the night.

Thanks in advance!

After a long day of flying and arriving that late I would choose a hotel near MIA and make my way to Port Everglades (PE) the next morning. Lots of recommendations for hotels in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and others) with a local shopping mall nearby for last minute shopping - as well as fast food and dining options if you feel like dinner. A budget option popular with cruisers is La Quinta East - very isolated, so your dining options will be delivery pizza or Chinese.

The next morning you can use UberX (good for 2-3 plus normal bags) to PE for about $35-40.

If any of this helps, you owe me a pint -- whatever bitter your local pours will be fine! :D

Thank you all. I think I agree, I don't think we will want the extra journey after the long day! And should have plenty of time the next morning to get there. Think we will stay at the Hampton Inn as recommended at Blue Lagoon (there are so many to choose from!). Thanks again!

I totally disagree with the others. I think you should just jump in an Uber and head to Fort Lauderdale and stay in a hotel near the port. There is no reason to stay in Miami. It's not a long drive, at all, to the Fort Lauderdale area. It's not an extra journey. Embassy Suites off 17th is a better idea than Blue Lagoon.

I totally disagree with the others. I think you should just jump in an Uber and head to Fort Lauderdale and stay in a hotel near the port. There is no reason to stay in Miami. It's not a long drive, at all, to the Fort Lauderdale area. It's not an extra journey. Embassy Suites off 17th is a better idea than Blue Lagoon.

I agree with this. The drive is pretty short, and easy. I would want to be able to sleep in a little later rather than get up earlier to get from MIA to Fort Lauderdale.

I agree with this. The drive is pretty short, and easy. I would want to be able to sleep in a little later rather than get up earlier to get from MIA to Fort Lauderdale.

Normally I would agree with you as hate early starts, however as we are coming from the UK I think we will be up early whether we like it or not! And after the long flight we will not doubt be tired and grumpy so even though it's only a short drive I think staying near Miami is for the best!