Oh no, I’m sick & can’t make the shore excursion!

TessieTravels

I am looking for some guidance as I have only organized one shore excursion & am likely to organize one or two on our upcoming cruise. How do you seasoned CC shore excursions organizers prepare for when an excursion is RSVP & pay the day of. You have booked the coach & driver at a set price & based on the number of CC members confirmed everyone knows it will be “X” per person (the fuller the coach, the lower to per person price”. Unfortunately, one or two CC members get quarantined to their room & can’t make the tour. What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The folks who can't make the tour should pay their share and fall back their cruise insurance to reimburse them. If they don't have cruise insurance then they should pay their share and consider it a lesson learned, UNLESS the rest of you agree to share the increased cost of having fewer people.

The folks who can't make the tour should pay their share and fall back their cruise insurance to reimburse them...

bigwally, I didn’t think about the cruise insurance piece. I’ll look into it to find out what is needed to be able to help anyone with filing the claim. Thank you! On our last cruise, I just paid for the member who was quarantined as I didn’t even think about that someone not being able to come was a possibility, so I’m wanting to see what others have done & yours is a good solution

I generally don’t organize private excursions with people from my roll call for this (among other) reasons. We like to participate in independent group tours where the price is per person, regardless of how many sign up. And often on the RSVP ahead, pay when you arrive, they are flexible about cancellations. But I’m the scenario you proposed, everyone who RSVPed should pay their share, whether or not they take the tour.

When you volunteer to organize a tour you should consider, and make clear to all participants, the details. You also should collect some down payments from all participants - to protect yourself from being left holding the bag, and to protect all participants from being put at risk by those who change their mind at the last minute.

Sure, it is bad luck for someone who gets sick - but their bad luck should not wind up costing others.

Maybe I've been lucky on the sickness front, but I've never had someone who agreed to participate in a private tour and not been able to join us. Usually folks are just too committed/eager. I have had slots open up from folks who have cancelled their cruise altogether, but there has always been interest enough to fill them prior to sailing.

I...We like to participate in independent group tours where the price is per person, regardless of how many sign up. And often on the RSVP ahead, pay when you arrive, they are flexible about cancellations. But I’m the scenario you proposed, everyone who RSVPed should pay their share, whether or not they take the tour.

sanger727, that may be a question I start posing to the tour companies too, a per person vs flat rate or even an option where we can prepay individually for the tour so we can get receipts if we need to file a claim

When you volunteer to organize a tour you should consider, and make clear to all participants, the details. You also should collect some down payments from all participants - to protect yourself from being left holding the bag, and to protect all participants from being put at risk by those who change their mind at the last minute. Sure, it is bad luck for someone who gets sick - but their bad luck should not wind up costing others.

navybankerteacher, you’re right & that’s one of the reasons I covered the cost, because I thought I’m the one who volunteered to organize the tour & I didn’t put any stipulations out stating that anyone committed unless that person or someone in the group finds a replacement...I’m thinking of doing that this time, but I wanted to get some advice first. I could not find this question on the boards, so I’m sure it is a rare occurrence.

Maybe I've been lucky on the sickness front, but I've never had someone who agreed to participate in a private tour and not been able to join us. Usually folks are just too committed/eager. I have had slots open up from folks who have cancelled their cruise altogether, but there has always been interest enough to fill them prior to sailing.

bigwally, I think it is rare that someone cancels last minute. We were on one of the ships that had a norovirus breakout where staff had to serve at the buffet nearly the entire 10 day cruise. The fact that I could find something on the boards about it also solidifies that it is a rare occurrence.

This happened to us. We were booked on a tour of Santorini that we picked up from our roll call. On the day we stopped there, my husband didn't feel the best. He did get off the ship and got to the top of the hill, but decided he just didn't feel good enough to go.

I went ahead and did the tour. I told the organizer that I would go ahead and pay my husband's fare; she said it wasn't necessary The tour price varied slightly according to how many people went on the tour, but I don't think missing one person made much difference in the price break. I guess? because there wasn't any change in the size of the vehicle, or anything else, she and the guide decided not to charge us. I did tip extra!

While grateful, normally I would expect to just go ahead and pay for the anyone who missed the tour.

I had a great tour, and while my husband hated to miss it, thankfully he was feeling fine by evening.

I generally don’t organize private excursions with people from my roll call for this (among other) reasons. We like to participate in independent group tours where the price is per person, regardless of how many sign up. And often on the RSVP ahead, pay when you arrive, they are flexible about cancellations. But I’m the scenario you proposed, everyone who RSVPed should pay their share, whether or not they take the tour.

It is very rare (if not impossible) to find any independently organized group tour where the price is fixed per person regardless of how many show up, A van capable of holding six people will come with a base cost - which will be divided by the number using it — as would a bus holding 40 or so. Would you hire it for just yourself?

Even taxis/vans on St. Maarten might charge $14 for one or two, $6 a person for three, and $5 a person for four or more.

It is very rare (if not impossible) to find any independently organized group tour where the price is fixed per person regardless of how many show up, A van capable of holding six people will come with a base cost - which will be divided by the number using it — as would a bus holding 40 or so. Would you hire it for just yourself?

Even taxis/vans on St. Maarten might charge $14 for one or two, $6 a person for three, and $5 a person for four or more.

I’m not describing a private tour. I’m describing a true group tour offered by companies (I’ve really only found these in the caribbean) where they sell slots just like a shore excursion would. Like the kinds of things that are offered on third party excursion websites.

This happened on a cruise I took last month. One of of our participants dropped out and offered to pay. But we had a wait list and called that person’s cabin we’re able to fill the vacancy. When I had to cancel at the last minute in the past, I paid up. It is only fair to the vendor and others on the tour. The ship excursion office wouldn’t have refunded my money on that short notice either.

I am a bit shocked that some folks start looking to insurance because they cannot make a private tour. Perhaps they can collect something...but more likely no. But they have an obligation to the group. And continuing to pay their share leaves them in exactly the same situation as if they had taken the tour. Either way they spend the same money.

I will be very blunt,,,,,as a person who has cruised and traveled extensively for over forty years. It is because of these issues (among others) that DW and I normally prefer to do our own thing. When we have mentioned some of our independent ideas (on CC and sometimes when we meet folks on a cruise) we often get approached by others who ask to join us. We normally find a way to politely refuse...although over the years we have sometimes taken another couple when we go off and do our independent things. There are certainly times when a private group tour (or even a cruise line excursion) makes the most sense. For us, it might be one in fifty ports.

Hank

This happened to us. I went ahead and did the tour. I told the organizer that I would go ahead and pay my husband's fare; she said it wasn't necessary. While grateful, normally I would expect to just go ahead and pay for the anyone who missed...

Nebr.cruiser, I’m so glad you gave “the other side” experience & im sure most everyone feels similar. I have to say I was surprised I didn’t hear from the MIA cruiser, but I figured she felt horrible enough & I didn’t want to add insult to injury. I am adding to my list of questions to tour operators about last minute cancellations as well. I want to be able to handle and have a backup plan for the “what ifs” rather than kicking myself not planning for the “what ifs”...I also tend to keep lots of lists, it’s my secret obsession.

This happened on a cruise I took last month. One of of our participants dropped out and offered to pay. But we had a wait list and called that person’s cabin we’re able to fill the vacancy. When I had to cancel at the last minute in the past, I paid up. It is only fair to the vendor and others on the tour. The ship excursion office wouldn’t have refunded my money on that short notice either. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sharp girl, I had a waitlist too, but MIA cruiser didn’t notify me until our meet up time (DH was still in the cabin when she called & came down to notify us). What I learned there was to have my list with me, even up to the actual excursion time & although I confirmed with everyone the day before, stuff can still happen. That’s a good point too about the ship shore excursion office. Thank you, I appreciate your information.

Some good advice here. Unfortunately you are not going to like this, I am with Hiltner, life has taught me not to put my neck out in situations like this. To many times, way to many times, I have been taught a lesson.

If it were me, I would come up with what the excursions are, give the info and have everyone book separately.

I am a bit shocked that some folks start looking to insurance because they cannot make a private tour. Perhaps they can collect something...but more likely no. But they have an obligation to the group. And continuing to pay their share leaves them in exactly the same situation as if they had taken the tour. Either way they spend the same money.

I will be very blunt,,,,,as a person who has cruised and traveled extensively for over forty years. It is because of these issues (among others) that DW and I normally prefer to do our own thing. When we have mentioned some of our independent ideas (on CC and sometimes when we meet folks on a cruise) we often get approached by others who ask to join us. We normally find a way to politely refuse...although over the years we have sometimes taken another couple when we go off and do our independent things. There are certainly times when a private group tour (or even a cruise line excursion) makes the most sense. For us, it might be one in fifty ports.

Hank

Hank, thank you, as I do appreciate your honest perspective. One of the reasons I enjoy CC is the wide range of experiences & opinions I am able to read & all are of value to me to weigh & see what fits best with my style. I am understanding why one would chose to go on their own vs a group and why others would prefer the stress of organizing a tour. Quite frankly, I’m on the fence which is why I’m so grateful for everyone taking the time to respond.

Some good advice here. Unfortunately you are not going to like this, I am with Hiltner, life has taught me not to put my neck out in situations like this. To many times, way to many times, I have been taught a lesson. If it were me, I would come up with what the excursions are, give the info and have everyone book separately.

Mike981, that is some sound advice and another question on my list to tour providers. I currently have four different tour providers I’m reaching out to on one of our ports & if one is willing to have everyone book separately, that will likely be the one I go with, but please keep the advice coming.

Another reason I plan so much on my trips, is to reduce stress. Depending on what direction you go, your stress level could go through the roof. Just a thought. No matter what you decide, I wish you only the best.

Mike981, that is a great point, which I will steal from you to help me decide. I appreciate your insight

Hank, thank you, as I do appreciate your honest perspective. One of the reasons I enjoy CC is the wide range of experiences & opinions I am able to read & all are of value to me to weigh & see what fits best with my style. I am understanding why one would chose to go on their own vs a group and why others would prefer the stress of organizing a tour. Quite frankly, I’m on the fence which is why I’m so grateful for everyone taking the time to respond.

If it were only so simple. We have mixed emotions about private tours...and virtually no emotions or liking of cruise line excursions. In fact, we only take a cruise line excursion if it is about the only reasonable option to do what we want to do. This happens very seldom..but it does happen in places like Murmansk.

We think the discussion (and some debate) between private tours and DIY are fascinating. But over a lot of years (and having helped many others with their travel ideas) we have grown to accept that this is not a one size fits all kind of thing. Many folks are just not capable of going off on their own and having a great day. For example, we don;t hesitate to rent a car while in port if that is what works best for our plans. But a majority of cruisers are reluctant to take this kind of step...and we really do understand their concerns. For us, it is just one more travel adventure which we have thought-out...and found a good option. But for many others it becomes things like, "what if we have a flat tire," what if our car breaks down," "what if we get caught in traffic and miss the ship" etc etc. These are all valid questions but we accept the small risk because we love the reward of being able to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want. For those that can't deal with that risk we suggest private excursions. And for those who can't deal with the risk of a private tour, we cover our eyes, ears, and mouth and say...perhaps you should take an overpriced overcrowded cruise ship excursion :).

Some here on CC make all this personal. But each person should do what feels right for them. When cruisers want help planning DIY days, there are quite a few of us here on CC who are happy to spend the time giving them some detailed ideas. We have an upcoming complex Asian cruise and have joined two small group private tours which seemed to be the best option in those places. We think this is only the 2nd cruise out of about our last 50 where we have ever planned two tours (the cruise is over 30 days long). But there are just some times when DIY is not a great option.

Hank

Like some others who've already posted, I rarely arrange private tours -- mainly because whenever possible I prefer to "do it myself" via public transportation. But also, I have very specific interests that others don't always share (especially those who want to see the 'first visit highlights').

At any rate, I am a detail-oriented person like you seem to be, and when I do put together a private tour, I always include wording to the effect that if you sign up for the tour, you are in effect agreeing to pay for your share, even if you cannot go for some reason. (Unless I am able to find a replacement.)

At any rate, I am a detail-oriented person like you seem to be, and when I do put together a private tour, I always include wording to the effect that if you sign up for the tour, you are in effect agreeing to pay for your share, even if you cannot go for some reason. (Unless I am able to find a replacement.)

Do you collect the money before the excursion? At the beginning of the cruise or with the same timeline that the ship's excursion desk has?

We did a private tour organized by someone on the roll call. The organizer's husband had to bow out because of illness. One person did not show up at all. We tried to find others to fill the open slots. In the end, the organizer paid for her husband and the missing person. We did pitch in to help with the extra cost. Never did see the person who just didn't show up!