Question about terminal illness and cruising

Laf1381

I have a family member who is planning on taking her husband who has terminal brain cancer on a cruise in a couple of weeks once radiation ends. He is in a wheelchair and dependent on help for all daily activities except feeding himself. We have tried to encourage them to cancel the cruise and plan a get together close to home due to the seriousness of his illness and they won’t hear of it. Just curious how cruise lines handle this type of situation. Would they prevent them from boarding if he appears unwell? I doubt they will tell them the diagnosis.

Insurance will not provide any coverage for a terminally ill patient. Any medical or evacuation or repatriation of remains will be on their dime.

Someone may "sell" them insurance however the claims will be denied after investigation.

This was discussed on the Cruise Insurance boards where someone was upset because they fell ill during a cruise and could not get any reimbursement. They were trying to get in a Bucket List cruise before they passed.

if you know the cruise line they are going with you could look in the FAQ or the Terms & conditions

Cruise lines can refuse embarkation

"has the right to refuse or revoke passage to anyone who, in its judgment, is in a physical, mental or emotional condition unfit for travel or whose comfort onboard may be compromised due to situations beyond the care that can be provided"

Most cruise lines have scooter rentals at reasonable prices. Some use outside vendors for this. The motorized scooter will be waiting in their cabin for them and is designed to fit through cruise ship doors which are usually a standard 22 inches. Most cruisers use their own wheelchair to get to the cabin and then fold it up in the corner of their cabin for the duration of the cruise. There are elevators on every deck so getting around in a wheelchair or scooter on a cruise ship isn’t an issue. There are handicapped spots for wheelchairs in the main theater. Just about everywhere on the ship is handicapped accessible. They also have handicapped accessible cabins. I don’t see there being a problem getting around on the cruise ship or enjoying the amenities. In ports it’s another issue as to where you go and what you do. Most activities aren’t geared towards those in a wheelchair. But some ship sponsored excursions will work with you.

As far as them denying boarding I’ve only seen or even heard of them denying boarding (due to health reasons) is if you look contagious. Like if you look like you have the flu or norovirus. They do deny boarding for lots of other reasons like documentation issues, pregnancy, etc. But as far as denying boarding for health reasons, just looking frail or weak and being wheelchair bound probably won’t be a reason to deny boarding. Lots of elderly wheelchair bound folks like to cruise, as cruise ships cater to this crowd.

But as fellow cruisers have mentioned, if they become ill while on the cruise it could be very costly. Or if they have to cancel or have other issues, insurance won’t cover it. But being a die hard cruiser, I understand wanting to enjoy one last cruise before I’m gone. Since they are determined to go despite the risk, why not help them? Offer to help rent a scooter for them or find a ships excursion they could go on? Call the cruise line directly and they can give you all kinds of helpful advice on how to make the cruise for a handicapped individual easier. If this is his dying wish, grant it. Support it. Let him enjoy this one last cruise. I’m sure he’s earned it. I hope they have a blast and forget all their worries for at least that one week.

Most cruise lines have scooter rentals at reasonable prices. Some use outside vendors for this. The motorized scooter will be waiting in their cabin for them and is designed to fit through cruise ship doors which are usually a standard 22 inches. Most cruisers use their own wheelchair to get to the cabin and then fold it up in the corner of their cabin for the duration of the cruise. There are elevators on every deck so getting around in a wheelchair or scooter on a cruise ship isn’t an issue. There are handicapped spots for wheelchairs in the main theater. Just about everywhere on the ship is handicapped accessible. They also have handicapped accessible cabins. I don’t see there being a problem getting around on the cruise ship or enjoying the amenities. In ports it’s another issue as to where you go and what you do. Most activities aren’t geared towards those in a wheelchair. But some ship sponsored excursions will work with you.

As far as them denying boarding I’ve only seen or even heard of them denying boarding (due to health reasons) is if you look contagious. Like if you look like you have the flu or norovirus. They do deny boarding for lots of other reasons like documentation issues, pregnancy, etc. But as far as denying boarding for health reasons, just looking frail or weak and being wheelchair bound probably won’t be a reason to deny boarding. Lots of elderly wheelchair bound folks like to cruise, as cruise ships cater to this crowd.

But as fellow cruisers have mentioned, if they become ill while on the cruise it could be very costly. Or if they have to cancel or have other issues, insurance won’t cover it. But being a die hard cruiser, I understand wanting to enjoy one last cruise before I’m gone. Since they are determined to go despite the risk, why not help them? Offer to help rent a scooter for them or find a ships excursion they could go on? Call the cruise line directly and they can give you all kinds of helpful advice on how to make the cruise for a handicapped individual easier. If this is his dying wish, grant it. Support it. Let him enjoy this one last cruise. I’m sure he’s earned it. I hope they have a blast and forget all their worries for at least that one week.[/quote)

Well said!

I have met someone in their final days, but the whole family were with her, and it was a carefully chosen cruise round the British Isles (they were British), so they were almost always in sight of the coast, and knew that she could be taken off at any port if she needed help. I don't know what they did about insurance, as we're supposed to put our details on our profile. It was a very brave thing to do, and they managed the two weeks without incident.

I have a family member who is planning on taking her husband who has terminal brain cancer on a cruise in a couple of weeks once radiation ends. He is in a wheelchair and dependent on help for all daily activities except feeding himself. We have tried to encourage them to cancel the cruise and plan a get together close to home due to the seriousness of his illness and they won’t hear of it. Just curious how cruise lines handle this type of situation. Would they prevent them from boarding if he appears unwell? I doubt they will tell them the diagnosis.

Yes, they can deny boarding if they had a concern. The cruise doctor would be called to assess the situation and most likely would deny boarding since the medical center does not have the ability to manage their care.

Yes, they can deny boarding if they had a concern. The cruise doctor would be called to assess the situation and most likely would deny boarding since the medical center does not have the ability to manage their care.

How can you be so sure about this? Do you know the gentleman in question? Are you a physician? How do you know the sick bay couldn't manage his care, should the need arise?

As was previously said, simply being frail and in a wheelchair does not disqualify a person from sailing. As long as the gentleman's wife is able to provide assistance with his daily needs and can manage his wheelchair, there is no reason to assume they would be denied boarding.

And if the couple are willing to assume the risk and cost of medical treatment or repatriation if necessary, then I think the OPs family should be bending over backwards to facilitate this last dying wish.

My father wanted one more cruise, with his doctors approval, we went and he thoroughly enjoyed himself even if he did sleep through the shows. The wheelchair definitely made it easier even though he’d never used one before.

One cruise had a young adult that appeared to be in a coma. A bit off putting if seated facing her dining table. The family coped beautifully, it was actually uplifting to watch the care and devotion provided by the mother.

Thanks for info. The situation is very serious. He is at risk for many medical complications. The brain cancer is the most aggressive type and this travel will occur when radiation is over which means the tumors will grow rapidly. The flight they need to take to get to the ship is also a risk. Just trying to prepare ourselves as any problems that occur may fall on us to handle. I would love to see them take this final cruise but it just doesn’t seem like a safe choice. The travel insurance was purchased before diagnosis so that could still be effective I imagine.

The travel insurance was purchased before diagnosis so that could still be effective I imagine.

In the end, I hope for the best.

My thoughts are that the insurance is going to take a strong stance that the insured had a responsibility to mitigate any losses. In other words, as soon as it became known that the issue became this serious, they had a responsibility to cancel at that point. Maybe when the losses were only going to be 25% or 50% rather than the possibilities of running into the hundreds of thousands.

But as fellow cruisers have mentioned, if they become ill while on the cruise it could be very costly. Or if they have to cancel or have other issues, insurance won’t cover it. But being a die hard cruiser, I understand wanting to enjoy one last cruise before I’m gone. Since they are determined to go despite the risk, why not help them? Offer to help rent a scooter for them or find a ships excursion they could go on? Call the cruise line directly and they can give you all kinds of helpful advice on how to make the cruise for a handicapped individual easier. If this is his dying wish, grant it. Support it. Let him enjoy this one last cruise. I’m sure he’s earned it. I hope they have a blast and forget all their worries for at least that one week.[/quote)

Well said!

I have an illness for which there is no cure . I cannot take planes or trains but I am still able to cruise.I will cruise until I can no longer do so.

Insurance info is not totally correct You must have a letter from physician stating nothing holds you from traveling and make sure you buy the correct policy and timing of doing so is very important One never knows what may happen to a healthy person....life has no guarantee..... I am hopeful it will be a trip of a lifetime for them

My brother recently died of brain cancer, and I am so glad he was able to take one final trip to a favourite destination before he passed. Yes, you won't get insurance coverage but do it anyway. You may want to take additional help on the cruise with you.

Insurance info is not totally correct You must have a letter from physician stating nothing holds you from traveling and make sure you buy the correct policy and timing of doing so is very important One never knows what may happen to a healthy person....life has no guarantee..... I am hopeful it will be a trip of a lifetime for them

I have never needed a letter from my doctor to buy insurance

What company does that?

Thoughts and prayers that they will be able to complete one last cruise.

Th insurance situation and possible emergency treatment and costs are something that should be fully explained to them. As long as they are willing to bear the costs it's no one else's business. I do hope, however, that emotions are not clouding the wife's decision, as she will be left with the financial decisions.

Finally, I think the patient's medical team should give their opinion to the family. With such a diagnosis I would be concerned about pain control when away from their usual care team.

We have tried to encourage them to cancel the cruise and plan a get together close to home due to the seriousness of his illness and they won’t hear of it...

Then there you go. :)

Someone who is not facing this prognosis may have a difficult time understanding why terminally ill patients make some of the decisions we do. I understand your concern but this is not your decision to make. My hope is that you will wish them well and send them off with an encouraging hug and a smile, and hope they have the time of their lives.

Based on the insurance we buy, if it is bought within 14 days of deposit, pre-existing conditions are covered.

The fact that the diagnosis was not made until after the insurance purchase probably makes a big difference. The big question is whether or not he saw the doctor for symptoms before insurance purchase.

If not, I would guess chances are good he is covered.

But that aside, if my husband wanted this cruise so badly, I'd say to heck with the money ... his last happiness would be more important to me.

As it does seem like there is big risk if he travels and something happens during the cruise, it would seem unwise to travel to foreign countries at this time.

One idea is to take a US based cruise like a River cruise or something like that. Just a suggestion

1) Yes, some countries may not have the same level of medical care that the US has, but a blanket statement that he cannot get care in foreign countries is just plan wrong.

2) He can be medically evacuated back to the US if needed.

In the end, I hope for the best.

My thoughts are that the insurance is going to take a strong stance that the insured had a responsibility to mitigate any losses. In other words, as soon as it became known that the issue became this serious, they had a responsibility to cancel at that point. Maybe when the losses were only going to be 25% or 50% rather than the possibilities of running into the hundreds of thousands.

If they have a letter from the physician clearing the travel there would be no reason to mitigate. If the physician doesn't clear the travel that would be another matter.