Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

From the website:

The Concierge Class Stateroom Experience

Each Concierge Class stateroom includes the following world-class amenities that all contribute to your modern luxury experience. From thoughtful in-room additions to personalized service, enjoy the signature touches you'll only find when you sail with Celebrity Cruises.

Personalized Concierge service

Priority check-in

Exclusive embarkation day lunch

Destination Seminar

Exclusive pre-departure lounge

Priority debarkation

Main & specialty restaurant seating time preferences

Welcome sparkling wine and fresh fruit

Daily delivery of afternoon savories

From the Edge Concierge Class info:

"Exactly what the name implies, you’ll enjoy dedicated service from Priority Check-in at the pier to the time you head home. A dedicated concierge is always just steps away from your room to assist with your vacation needs. Attend exclusive events, including a Welcome Aboard Luncheon and Destination Seminar. Then there’s the room, the Infinite VerandaSM takes the whole room right to the water’s edge. Here, you’ll find it’s little details so meticulously thought out that they truly make a world of difference. It’s a room that’s so much more than a room—it’s an experience."

I have never stayed in Concierge Class, but have cruised with others who have and the differences may or may not be worth the extra cost to individual cruisers. I did see something somewhere in the early Edge info that they were going to improve the Concierge benefits (and I would suspect that would likely go fleet wide), but have been unable to find that again (I had looked at booking Concierge on Edge because of the location and saw that info somewhere, which I put into the mix of my decision-making - ended up not going with Concierge). Maybe the "big addition" was the addition of the Destination Seminar (at least I don't remember that listed before)? Time will tell if there are any real changes. :D

If we book on EDGE class again after our Jan cruise in AQ class, we would seriously consider Concierge Class with the Select 4 MDR option and puchase of a Persian Garden Pass..we'll see how it goes,

There will be 126 seats inside and 22 outside. That's going to be a nice addition for Blu! We will see what the spa reveal shows - maybe there will be some nice surprises with the Persian Garden (or whatever it is called on Edge) and other AQ benefits.:D

Here is an Edge dining venue chart I found online that I put on the Edge Dining Choices thread that describes the seating, including outside seating for a few venues (Eden, Steakhouse, Blu, Le Grand Bistro and of course the OVC). It is a good reference.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/Edge_Culinary_One_Pager_TRADE_FLYER.pdf

When you originally said outside I thought you meant seats next to the window.

Do you actually mean outside?

I haven't seen a ship layout but that must mean that Blu is on the aft of the ship.

Also, there must be a roof over it.

Those 22 seats won't work in inclement weather so I hope there is enough inside seating to accommodate that.

Still, being able to eat outside - whether for breakfast or dinner - sounds lovely!

When you originally said outside I thought you meant seats next to the window.

Do you actually mean outside?

I haven't seen a ship layout but that must mean that Blu is on the aft of the ship.

Also, there must be a roof over it.

Those 22 seats won't work in inclement weather so I hope there is enough inside seating to accommodate that.

Still, being able to eat outside - whether for breakfast or dinner - sounds lovely!

Blu is midship on 5. You can see the outside seats for Blu and Eden on the deck plans. They must have a way to use those outside venues (and the Magic Carpet) while the ship is moving (hopefully roof and wind shields on each end). I hope they thought it through anyway! It would at least be a nice place to eat in port. :)

deck5-2018.gif

If we book on EDGE class again after our Jan cruise in AQ class, we would seriously consider Concierge Class with the Select 4 MDR option and puchase of a Persian Garden Pass..we'll see how it goes,

That makes sense, if there is a price difference (or if one wants the variation in dining venues).

It will be interesting to have feedback on best cabins and locations after the ship sails - some AQ or Concierge cabins may become the coveted cabins. We should start our own cabin spreadsheet on the Edge board. I am not talented enough with spreadsheets, but hopefully someone on here will start that by November.

Going back to OP's thread title and original post, compare what Celebrity is doing in Galapagos: keeping Xpedition as a one-class ship [suites get more room but not much else], and introducing Flora as another one-class ship [except that the only class there is Suite class]. Flora will offer more luxury in all areas at a higher price; Xpedition will continue to offer a lesser level at a lesser price. You can view Edge as the combination of these two ships on one hull. The relevant question is whether the non-suite parts of Edge add up to enough value in a non-suite cabin, not whether the mere existence of the suite venues is elitist – and until the Edge reveal is complete and Edge prices revert to their long-term level, no one can really answer that question.

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't have said it better. When we started cruising after a short hiatus we started in Sky Suites since they were most similar to Junior Suites on RCL ships. Then prices for Celebrity Suites were not much more on a daily cost basis and more perks were offered. The same then happened for Royal Suites and 1-2-3-GO was introduced offering more perks, making the additional expense "worth it". Reflection then introduced the Signature Suite and, at the same time, the Suite Life/Go Big, Go Better Go Best. We loved it - especially Michael's Club (which at the time was offered to all Suite guests except Sky Suites). We were disappointed when X expanded the MC perk to SS guests as we thought it would change the experience (not for the better) and added Luminae (same concern). We were disappointed because we felt the SS guests who paid significantly less than us were being offered the same amenities, but found instead that we were then offered complimentary everything (Unlimited Dining, Prem Bev. Package, Unlimited Internet). As Tee Rick says "you pay more, you get more". It's not surprising at all that X introduced The Retreat.

Those folks who book a more affordable category can't complain that those of us that are paying premiums are unfairly getting more than they are, or hope that "the upgrade fairy" will visit them and are disappointed when she doesn't. It's not classes, it's supply and demand - a free market enterprise.

Keep those "unwashed masses" separate and away from whatever I'm doing! Maybe a Wall will help?

Seems similar to hotel concepts nowadays with honors or concierge floors, better location for upper suites with pvt pools and beach access.

We enjoy AQ ( quiter dining rm, etc) so maybe we will stay in that niche or try Concierge, Nice thing is that EDGE will have options at varying price points..

On Cunard's QM 2 we were happy with our cabin and did not feel deprived not having a Grill suite...

Keep those "unwashed masses" separate and away from whatever I'm doing! Maybe a Wall will help?

I don’t think that it so much wanting to keep the masses separate as much as wanting to have few more amenities. Many of course will flaunt their status to the passengers in the less expensive cabins. But those sort of people are not worth worrying about.

A lot depends on the the cruise line. If they make it clear that they value all their guests and don’t constantly remind non suite passengers of the perks that suite passengers have, then it really shouldn’t be a problem.

I suppose that companies like Celebrity which offer multiple grades of product have researched the psychological angle.

In the luxury market, there tends to be one class with no real perks for people in bigger cabins.

I would have thought that the same should apply on mass market ships, and that everyone would be happier if there were few class distinctions. But it seems that large ship operators, like large hotel operators, have found out that it is far more lucrative to have a class system where they can make a large profit out of premium customers whilst satisfying the need of people to feel as though they are superior to someone in a lower class.

there are a number of threads on this and it has become an emotional issue for some reason. In my view these differences are "spending categories" and not "classes". These amenities are actually available to all if they are willing to spend for them. The references made to the "upper classes" or the 'rich and famous" in these areas is a sweeping generalization. Some not so wealthy people save up and prefer to spend their money on a suite experience perhaps for a special occasion - but it is their money to do what they please. After 20 cruises if you can find another cruise line that does not have different spending categories and distinctions it is your choice to spend with them instead. It is unfortunate that you feel like an outcast on a cruise vacation. This seems to be a first world problem. Just please let us know which cruise line is fully egalitarian when you switch from celebrity.

There are a number of threads on this and it has become an emotional issue for some reason. In my view these differences are "spending categories" and not "classes". These amenities are actually available to all if they are willing to spend for them. The references made to the "upper classes" or the 'rich and famous" in these areas is a sweeping generalization. Some not so wealthy people save up and prefer to spend their money on a suite experience perhaps for a special occasion - but it is their money to do what they please. After 20 cruises if you can find another cruise line that does not have different spending categories and distinctions it is your choice to spend with them instead. It is unfortunate that you feel like an outcast on a cruise vacation. This seems to be a first world problem. Just please let us know which cruise line is fully egalitarian when you switch from Celebrity.

You might try Azamara or similar. "Everyone knows your name..." The only "perk" I can think of is the Captain's dinner in the Drawing Room for the largest suite guests (not that all suite quests are "large.")

Segregation by cabin class is pure capitalism. Those who can/want to pay more, get more. Its getting to be just like the airlines: basic fare get you a small no legroom middle seat in the back of the bus, pay more for an aisle seat, more for seat selection, more for early boarding, more for a seat with decent legroom, more for a meal... Maybe we will eventually return to yesteryear when the great ocean liners were totally segregated by class: First, Second and Third (steerage). Never the three would met in any venue/location.

Personally, I like eating in Blu. Absolutely cannot eat in the mega MDRs anymore: too noisy, takes too long, and the food is many times less than advertised. So we pay more for the better dinning location (good capitalism). If not Blu, then its the buffets which are nominally much quieter, more pleasant, staffed with (appears) happier wait staff. �� In the mean time we cruise mostly on Azamara...

Edited by Globehoppers

Maybe we will eventually return to yesteryear when the great ocean liners were totally segregated by class: First, Second and Third (steerage).

All you need to do is cruise on MSC to see it nowadays. First (Yacht Club) Second (Aurea) Third (Fantastica) Fourth...Steerage (Bella)

No steerage folk are locked below on the bottom deck and don't get any fresh air at all until they are allowed to come out for a few minutes in ports of call.

Give 'em a break from shoveling coal? Nice perk.

And somebody has to deal with the gangplank.

But it sure would be nice to see the iceburg that sinks you without having to book a suite.

• 1 month later...
There are a number of threads on this and it has become an emotional issue for some reason. In my view these differences are "spending categories" and not "classes". These amenities are actually available to all if they are willing to spend for them. The references made to the "upper classes" or the 'rich and famous" in these areas is a sweeping generalization. Some not so wealthy people save up and prefer to spend their money on a suite experience perhaps for a special occasion - but it is their money to do what they please. After 20 cruises if you can find another cruise line that does not have different spending categories and distinctions it is your choice to spend with them instead. It is unfortunate that you feel like an outcast on a cruise vacation. This seems to be a first world problem. Just please let us know which cruise line is fully egalitarian when you switch from Celebrity.

Well said. I am referring to your explaination for those that differ.