A Moan Born Out Of Frustration

babs135

I wish the UK would embrace some of the travel regulations that the US has.

I've just seen a cruise, a circumnavigation of Australia, which really appeals to both myself and DH. Price is excellent but the date is February/March 2020. Because of UK rules if we were to put down a deposit today and then couldn't go we would lose that deposit, which I suspect would be a fairly substantial amount and not something we could afford to do. We are senior citizens and unfortunately our health (in particular DH's) over the last 12 months has not been good and although it didn't stop us cruising at the beginning of this year, it was a close call with the word 'cancel' being used up to and beyond final payment date. With this in mind it makes it even more difficult to book something so far ahead.

The second moan I have is that UK travel insurance companies don't appear to have a 'cancel for any reason' insurance which I think is an absolutely brilliant concept. If I'm wrong on this any UK readers of this post, would you please tell me which firms do this.

Thank you for listening to my moan. I know I'm grateful to still be able to continue cruising but when I read about US cruisers cancelling and rebooking a cruise to get a fantastic price I can't help but to be just a little bit jealous/cross (call it what you want). :):(:mad:

We don't get refundable deposits because of any type of travel protection afforded to us under the law, but rather you have to pay non-refundable deposits to help offset the cost of all of the travel protections that you enjoy, at least that is the way that I understand it. I am certainly not an expert on this topic and may be way off base. I'm not sure why UK insurance companies don't offer cancel for any reason protection, so I don't know if that is because of something in UK law or just a UK business practice.

Often commented on here on CC....UK customers routinely book thru US travel agents specifically to receive the benefits that you describe.

My TA has a couple, the husband of which is a former MP, as customers. We have sailed with them.

You could also post on the Cruise insurance forum here

just remember the CFAR you only get 75-80% back

I am sure UK cruisers can get trip cancellation insurance that covers your deposit should you need to cancel

the trick is if have a pre existing condition like any policy you need to read the find print

We do have good insurance cover, but I like the idea of CFAR as a back up. Booking now for a cruise 2 years in the future is a gamble for us. Obviously as the insurance policy only runs for a 12 months period it would have to be renewed with the added concern that our situation may have changed and the company will not cover us leaving us to scramble around looking for another firm.

This is what happened last year. DH took ill in June, made a full recovery but when he tried to renew the policy with the company in August, not only would they not cover him for the illness, which he decided to disclose, (full recovery remember) they also told him they would no longer cover him for his notified pre-existing conditions!! And this is a firm we have dealt with for quite a number of years; it's not as if we were first timers. We did find another company but had to pay a hefty hike in price to make sure we were covered from the date of the cancelled policy.

Deposits for a cruise are another matter again. I get the impression (perhaps wrongly) that it is easier for US cruisers to get their deposit refunded than it is for us here in the UK. Doubt an Insurance Company here would cover us if we said we had simply changed our mind and wanted the deposit back :eek:

Deposits for a cruise are another matter again. I get the impression (perhaps wrongly) that it is easier for US cruisers to get their deposit refunded than it is for us here in the UK. Doubt an Insurance Company here would cover us if we said we had simply changed our mind and wanted the deposit back :eek:

Most cruise line in N.A. will refund the deposit up until final payment no questions asked

There are some exceptions but for the most part that is how it works

Like mentioned above IF you can book with a N.A. agent it could work for you but you would lost some the protections of ABTA or ATOL you get in the U.K.

We do have good insurance cover, but I like the idea of CFAR as a back up. Booking now for a cruise 2 years in the future is a gamble for us. Obviously as the insurance policy only runs for a 12 months period it would have to be renewed with the added concern that our situation may have changed and the company will not cover us leaving us to scramble around looking for another firm.

This is what happened last year. DH took ill in June, made a full recovery but when he tried to renew the policy with the company in August, not only would they not cover him for the illness, which he decided to disclose, (full recovery remember) they also told him they would no longer cover him for his notified pre-existing conditions!! And this is a firm we have dealt with for quite a number of years; it's not as if we were first timers. We did find another company but had to pay a hefty hike in price to make sure we were covered from the date of the cancelled policy.

Yes, we do get our deposits back relatively easily but it's not because of any government travel regulation, it's the business practice (although some lines have adopted non-refundable deposits with a lower fare as an incentive to book them).