Distance from the Airport and Port in Auckland

keela1eva2

I wonder if you could help me. I am wondering how far the Auckland International Airport is to the city and the approx cost of a taxi?

Also the distance from the city to the Port to join cruise ship?

Should be staying at the Langhams Hotel which I understand is not in the city but they do run a shuttle bus.

Many thanks

Sue

I wonder if you could help me. I am wondering how far the Auckland International Airport is to the city and the approx cost of a taxi?

Also the distance from the city to the Port to join cruise ship?

Should be staying at the Langhams Hotel which I understand is not in the city but they do run a shuttle bus.

Many thanks

Sue

Hello Sue....AIRBUS runs to and from Auckland Airport every 20 minutes at a cost of NZ$15 per person.....allow 40 minutes. The Langham Hotel is a designated stop. For latest route and timetable check www.airbus.co.nz A Taxi is NZ$60 approximately. Although Langhams is not walking distance to the Port of Auckland I believe there is a shuttle - you are not out of the city and will be close to many attractions.

Check www.explorerbus.co.nz for the Get-on-Get-off bus route and attractions....cost for an all day pass NZ$30.

If you have a few days prior to the cruise The Bay of Islands is a MUST:) .

For an excellent full day tour which includes city sights/Waitakere Ranges Scenic Drive/Titirangi/Piha and Muriwai beaches, passing vineyards and farmland, email nzpersonaltours@ihug.co.nz. Ian would customise a tour for you. The Port of Auckland is in the centre of the city (Quay Street) where Ferries depart for Devonport, Rangitoto Is, Waiheke Island and Pine Harbour...and more!

Too much information :confused: . As a Kiwi now living in Queensland OZ I couldn't resist helping ;)

Happy planning......our 2/2/08 Sapphire sailing was WONDERFUL :D

B E V

Hi Sue,

There is also an excellent shuttle bus which runs from the airport to all of the hotels (and private residences) in Auckland. If you go into the tourist shop at the airport, they will call the shuttle immediately and be able to tell you how long it is until the next one arrives. The price is NZ $ 16 pp.

I'm sure you will love your visit to Auckland, just as we did in January. The Kiwis are probably the most friendly, helpful and nicest people in the world -- or so we thought during our visit. If you want to do a day trip locally, we can suggest the Fuller's excursion to Waiheke Island. It includes the ferry round-trip (leaves regularly during the day) and a guided bus trip on the island, as well as riding all the buses on the island should you decide to do a bit of wandering on your own. The cost for the day trip is NZ $44 and you can buy your ticket at the harbor kiosks just before you want to leave. If time allows - I agree with Bev - take a trip to the Bay of Islands (overland buses leave regularly from Auckland). It's a magical place. We spent 2 nights there and had a wonderful time.

You are going to have a fantastic adventure!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Annatoo and Sharon

Glad of the information and $60 is not bad but if as you say all the buses stop outside each hotel then I could also make use of this.

The other hotel I have been looking at is the Skyline Grand Hotel more expensive at around £111 per night/

Someone on the roll call has booked the Crowne Plaza and it is much less expensive.

I don't want to stay at the Copthorne Harbour Hotel which is where X were putting me so I am now doing the flights and hotels myself. Had decided to do a stopover as I think the direct journey would kill me.

I am leaving on the 17th November and will not be home until the 12th January so a very long holiday. I will stay in Perth from the 7th Dec. when the cruise ends. Really excited about it all.

Sue

Glad of the information and $60 is not bad but if as you say all the buses stop outside each hotel then I could also make use of this.

The other thing to consider when deciding whether to go by taxi or shuttle bus is how many of you there are. We went to Melbourne for a weekend with another couple and were going to catch the shuttle to our hotel but at $12 p.p. (a while ago) it was cheaper to get the taxi and not have to stop at all the other hotels.

We were in Auckland in March and the airport to the city is about 1/2 hr. We got a taxi, however it was what they call the discount taxis. Cost us $30 which we thought was great as it was the same price as the shuttle and the shuttle can take forever to get to your hotel depending on where it is on the stops.

A bit of a WARNING - If you need to take a taxi from your hotel to the cruise ship in Auckland, be sure the price is definite before you load your luggage into the taxi. Our hotel called the Discount Taxis, and although we had a somewhat heated "discussion" with the driver during and at the end of the very short distance, there was no way to get him to turn on the meter or to sway him from the "fixed" price of $25 for the ride. It was really not even a 1/2 mile point to point (we were at the Oaks Smartstay on Hobson). Our only other possibility would have been to walk - with all our luggage for a 5 week trip. The drivers know that, on cruise days, the passengers have no other alternative.

Is this how the phrase "highway robbery" came into being??:rolleyes:

Normally the trip to the airport takes around 45mins but it can also take an hour and a half and can cost way over 120 NZ dollars since there are several building sites that cause VERY hefty back logs.

The tip to take the airbus is a good one. Take it to stop right down by the maritime museum - that is amlmost across the street from the embarkation port. I will look up the name of the stop and let you know which one it is.

The other alternative is take the Airbus to stop 12 on Queen Street which is directly on the door step of a hotel and have them call you a cab to take you down the road to the port.

These are the cheapest ways of getting from the airport to the port and get a little city trip tooo.

Don't give yourself too much time in Auckland as it is not a nice city with really lots to do like Sydney. I was rather disappointed in Auckland which is why we hired a car the second day and headed up the island.

Don't give yourself too much time in Auckland as it is not a nice city with really lots to do like Sydney. I was rather disappointed in Auckland which is why we hired a car the second day and headed up the island.

Sorry you didn't like Auckland. It is a lovely city, with plenty to do, as others have said. Perhaps you were just unlucky not to find it at its best.

It's true that much of the beauty of NZ is found outside of the cities.

The other alternative to a taxi or the airbus is the airport shuttle, which can be booked in the tourist office at the airport when you arrive. They run regularly, will take you directly to your hotel or the port, and cost NZ $16 per person. They will usually not have more than 3 or 4 stops on the way (IIRC, they take 10 or 11 passengers) and have an extra luggage container hooked on to the back of the van.

Sorry you didn't like Auckland. It is a lovely city, with plenty to do, as others have said. Perhaps you were just unlucky not to find it at its best.

It's true that much of the beauty of NZ is found outside of the cities.

Maybe it was just because we did the route the other way around starting (in Sydney) with the high lights but then again I personally like the South Island better..... The small bits of which we saw on a cruise anyway.

The drive out up to the Bay of Islands was great even though the weather wasn't on our side most of the day.

Many thanks all for your input. Sharon you are always so knowledgeable and I know you will have done all your homework.

Glad to know that your trip lived up to your expectations!

I have now got the flights booked with SA and the X booking cruise only sorted.

All I need to do now is book my hotels. I am tempted to try priceline in Singapore and go for a 4 5* near to Orchard Road or the Marina. Wondering what I should do and what price I should bid if I decide to do so.

Any thoughts Sharon. There seem to be a good selection of hotels there of very good standards.

Now must get on with the chores.

Again many thanks to all

Sue

Maybe it was just because we did the route the other way around starting (in Sydney) with the high lights but then again I personally like the South Island better..... The small bits of which we saw on a cruise anyway.

The drive out up to the Bay of Islands was great even though the weather wasn't on our side most of the day.

Tell me more about the Bay of Islands.

Have been to Auckland twice. Once did the shuttle (like Super Shuttle in the U.S.) from Hilton to the airport and then just recently AirBus. I would like to point out that AirBus does not really help you with your luggage. So you're on your own with AirBus as far as getting it up & down the steps to the bus and in/out of the rack. They're on a tight schedule with a lot of stops. Shuttle did handle our luggage (they put it in a trailer pulled behind the van). At least that was my experience.

Tell me more about the Bay of Islands.

Marilee,

We found the Bay of Islands to be a MAGICAL place. We so enjoyed our 3 days and 2 nights there. It is a pleasant drive up from Auckland - about 3 hrs. IIRC (or you can take a long distance bus with one of several companies). I had done my researching at tripadvisor and reserved at the Blue Pacific Apts. (was #1 on tripadvisor at the time) in Paihia. There are 7 apts. in total and they are lovely. We took the smallest one, a studio, and even that had a private Jacuzzi whirlpool on the terrace. The apartments are not inexpensive, but just a lovely stay. And, the owners (Donna and Gary) are wonderful people who are extremely helpful.

We had a great excursion with the Dunerider, which I booked online, up to 90 Mile Beach (incl. sandboarding), Kauri Forest, fantastic fish and chip stop, and lots, lots more. The tour left from Paihia at around 7 AM and we returned at 6 PM.

If you do the drive from Auckland to BOI by car, don't forget to stop at Kawakawa and have a look at the fantastic public toilets (yes, you read that correctly) designed by the artist, Friedrich Hundertwasser. Probably the only toilets you will ever photograph.

All I need to do now is book my hotels. I am tempted to try priceline in Singapore and go for a 4 5* near to Orchard Road or the Marina. Wondering what I should do and what price I should bid if I decide to do so.

Any thoughts Sharon. There seem to be a good selection of hotels there of very good standards.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I've not yet been to Singapore, but a very good friend recently spent 3 nights there before boarding a Silversea cruise. She was at the Royal Plaza on Scotts and was very satisfied with the accomodations.

Bidding on Priceline is not usually very promising for Singapore. Have a look at the Asia "wins" about 2/3 of the way down on the website homepage for http://www.biddingfortravel.com There are not many successes that have been registered. Occupancy percentages are quite high in Singapore and prices are pretty expensive. For other hotels "deals" in Asia, have a look at the websites of http://www.agoda.com and http://www.asiarooms.com We have found some excellent prices there for our upcoming Diamond Princess cruise and Asia trip.

The planning is half the fun of the trip:D

hi , just got back from cruise out of auckland on sapphire princess when we arrived at auckland airport we walked outside where all the shuttles were and they loaded bags into small covered trailer behind shuttle and drove us right to our hotel, there were 2 stops on the way in to drop others off at their homes was a very good service, price was NZ$32 for the 2 of us but the single passangers were also charged the same NZ$32

To Wombat - I have to ask you, how was the sailing on the Tasman? We were on the cruise before you and the seas were very calm but after getting over to New Zealand we heard about high winds in Melbourne and wondered how the next cruise fared?

To Wombat - I have to ask you, how was the sailing on the Tasman? We were on the cruise before you and the seas were very calm but after getting over to New Zealand we heard about high winds in Melbourne and wondered how the next cruise fared?

hi jms, the seas were fine no rough weather at all, one day there was a slight swell but apart from that nothing to complain about and overall the whole cruise was very good and the ship itself is fantastic even with appox 2700 pass. it was never crowded

Thanks!

I think we were all lucky as we heard reports from the crew that a few sailings prior to ours (which was Mar 21 to Apr 2), the seas were very rough. I usually wear the patch and actually took it off the 2nd day of the crossing! Still jet-lagged but it was worth every minute.

• 6 months later...

We are two ladies (one in her late 50's and the other in her early 70's) boarding Volendam on 21Nov for 14-day New Zealand and Australia cruise. Our flight gets to auckland 6am and sailing is not till 1159pm.

We plan to do a city tour of auckland - it's a 3-hr tour starting at 845am. Departure and drop-off point is at 180 Quay Street which I believe is close to the cruise port.

If we don't do the tour, Holland America will transfer us from airport to the port at the earliest at 9am. We thought we could probably check out Auckland since we're not going back there. Disembarkation is in Sydney where we would stay for 4 nights.

Any advice for first-time travellers in New Zealand and Australia?

Archived