Maintenance work on the Eclipse

gadabout60

Currently on the 14 night Baltic cruise. For the last 4 days we have had to put up with intermittent banging, drilling and hammering noises in our cabin, today starting before 8.30 am

Have been complaining and they are supposedly now only going to do the work for 2 x 2 hour sessions per day. Asked how long this is going to last and told - eight months!

If you like a peaceful time in your cabin might be worth checking if you are going to be affected. It has certainly marred my downtime

Thanks for the information, we go on Saturday and boy do we need some peace after a very eventful few months. I think it would be fair to warn passengers of any works being done, I believe tour operators are now obliged to disclose any building works close to hotels before booking. And I know for a fact in some

areas of Spain building work is not even permitted during the tourist season.

We are on deck 10

Hi Jackie and Adrian. We are on the Eclipse in September, on Deck 6 Starboard side, mid ships and would appreciate hearing from you after your cruise as to how much of a nuisance this work is causing. Thank you.

We were on eclipse in June deck 8,port mid ship to aft never heard a thing !!!!

I was in a PH once and had a card delivered that they were going to do work on the veranda decking for 2 days and some painting, and I could call to get it changed.

I just let them do the work, it didn't bother me none.

I'll never fault a company for trying to keep their product up. Ships need 24/7 work, and run 24/7 and mathematically dry-docking loses them over half a million dollars per day in Gross revenues, and staffa re still on the payroll and not getting tips, so far better to deal with the few picky people who can't tolerate it than take the ship out of service. The vast majority of people won't even notice, or if they do won't give it much thought.

I wondered when the clean engine systems would start rolling out, I read about the plans late last year.

Nice to see it progressing.

We were on the last cruise on Eclipse and didn't hear anything.

But, that said during the inside tour they did mention the scrubber project as well as a project to replace all the railings on the ship, so work is obviously being done.

I agree work has to be done but I think it's unreasonable

A) to have to put up with hammering and banging for hours in your cabin, and

B) to be given the run around by guest relations

I did speak to the hotel manager and he has confirmed work will be 10-12 and 5-7

He gave me his direct line after guest relations gave me the runaround when trying to reach him and told me to call if noise started again outside the hours above. Yesterday it started at 3.30 but it was a bit distant and not so troublesome so I didn't call him

Others have complained to us about the noise

It's a big ship and I suspect many people have heard nothing. It has been very annoying and I think we should have been warned

I was in a PH once and had a card delivered that they were going to do work on the veranda decking for 2 days and some painting, and I could call to get it changed.

I just let them do the work, it didn't bother me none.

I'll never fault a company for trying to keep their product up. Ships need 24/7 work, and run 24/7 and mathematically dry-docking loses them over half a million dollars per day in Gross revenues, and staffa re still on the payroll and not getting tips, so far better to deal with the few picky people who can't tolerate it than take the ship out of service. The vast majority of people won't even notice, or if they do won't give it much thought.

I wondered when the clean engine systems would start rolling out, I read about the plans late last year.

Nice to see it progressing.

Pretty much our feelings exactly... Maintenance has to be done... Yes we heard the noise and wondered what it was... once we found out what it was we were totally fine with it. It was never done during normal sleep hours....it was NEVER constant...just a thump thump thump occasionally.... We want the ships we sail on to be in tip top shape all the time....that requires work and not all of it is silent....

Hi

If it is any help we cruised 14 days, returning 11 July, mid ship, deck 6...... Was not aware of any works and all was quiet. Enjoy!

Thank you very much Alpha Whiskey, it sounds very much like our location and I now feel much better. Cheers!

Home now

I reckon about 4 or 5 of our days were spoiled up to a point by the banging. There was a fair bit in the early evening of the last day

I do think relatively few people will be affected. I was in cabin 7290 on the hump. It was manageable when we knew it was happening and could avoid the cabin.

I do think though we should have been warned and I have some issues with guest relations which I may email celebrity about

All in all a good cruise and we worked round this but it was disruptive

Home now

I reckon about 4 or 5 of our days were spoiled up to a point by the banging. There was a fair bit in the early evening of the last day

I do think relatively few people will be affected. I was in cabin 7290 on the hump. It was manageable when we knew it was happening and could avoid the cabin.

I do think though we should have been warned and I have some issues with guest relations which I may email celebrity about

Am on the next sailing in 2 weeks. Was it being on deck 7 or on the hump that was the problem?

Am on the next sailing in 2 weeks. Was it being on deck 7 or on the hump that was the problem?

We were told work was being done to the funnel so I would have thought the noise would have filtered down vertically rather than by deck but I couldn't say for sure

Home now

We are booked into this very same cabin in five weeks time. Wondering if I should take this up with Celebrity before we sail. We are looking forward to a restful cruise.

We are booked into this very same cabin in five weeks time. Wondering if I should take this up with Celebrity before we sail. We are looking forward to a restful cruise.

It's clearly going to still be on going so I would be looking for a move if it was me.

[quote name='gadabout60']I was in cabin 7290 on the hump. [/QUOTE]

We were in 8339 and daughters in 8139. I didn't hear anything (I wasn't in the cabin much in the day) though my wife has mentioned a few "clangs". Kids didn't hear anything. This suggests sound is fairly localised, not that this diminishes its impact for those affected.

Fantastic cruise though.

[quote name='crystalgirl1']I have emailed my TA to take it up with Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea. Though the noise may have "moved on"
We didn't ask for a move - as so as we complained they told us they couldn't move us as the ship was full

Larry, wasn't that a wonderful noise we had all during that cruise on Constellation????:mad: I think the dust was the worst.
We also received the credits but it really was annoying trying to relax.

Oh well, we made it thru and we all, naturally, had a great time together.

Wonder when we can do it all again?

Pat

[quote name='crystalgirl1']I have emailed my TA to take it up with Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

CrystalGirl, I would appreciate a report after your cruise. I am booked in the stateroom directly above yours, on the November 1 Transatlantic. We booked this cabin for the large balcony. Hopefully the noise will be bearable.

Thanks in advance, Stan in AZ

[quote name='AZ Stan (FKA Stan in Chicago)']CrystalGirl, I would appreciate a report after your cruise. I am booked in the stateroom directly above yours, on the November 1 Transatlantic. We booked this cabin for the large balcony. Hopefully the noise will be bearable.

Thanks in advance, Stan in AZ[/QUOTE]

Honestly I doubt she will be in that cabin, short of it being already full the poster should get a move further forward.

[quote name='AZ Stan (FKA Stan in Chicago)']CrystalGirl, I would appreciate a report after your cruise. I am booked in the stateroom directly above yours, on the November 1 Transatlantic. We booked this cabin for the large balcony. Hopefully the noise will be bearable.

Hi Stan, if we are still in that cabin I will let you know of any problems. I'm waiting to hear back from my TA, considering emailing or phoning Celebrity too. If the ship is full then that's that. Susan

Does anyone know the schedule for this work on the other S Class ships?
Maybe Celebrity Official can look into this and provide info. (Esp for Equinox)

Affected cabins should receive a partial refund on their present cruise for having to work around the noise. If noise will be a factor in that location for 8 months...maybe they could move affected cruisers and take the really bad cabins out of service til work is completed.

[quote name='PatC']Larry, wasn't that a wonderful noise we had all during that cruise on Constellation????:mad: I think the dust was the worst.
We also received the credits but it really was annoying trying to relax.

Oh well, we made it thru and we all, naturally, had a great time together.

Wonder when we can do it all again?

Pat[/QUOTE]

We hadn't been on Connie in years...returned in Jan, We could not find one of our fav bar areas...wandered around a bit looking for it and learned it had been previously converted to cabins. There had been other changes as well...addition of Bistro which cuts off the hallway, creation of Tuscan in the former Conservatory area, creation of BLU, etc...Guess not all of the work was done during drydock period.... Despite some of the awkward modifications, they did a very nice job & we really enjoyed our cruise.

Noise and dust would be a problem, esp the dust.... for breathing. It gets into everything! Edited by hcat

I've just had an email from my TA. She had contacted Celebrity and they say the work was completed in April. I hope this is correct.

We were on Eclipse for May 30 2015 sailing and heard the scrubber work daily. We were in CS 1618 on deck 11. They used the crew doors (staircase) just aft of the aft elevators often (about two rooms further aft than ours).

Our experience was like others mentioned, it was there but not a huge bother. Most noticeable in the bathroom probably because of pipes. Work was always done just after getting to port or just before leaving port.

We had family traveling on deck 8 almost right below us, they didn't hear anything the whole cruise.

I would suspect with that long of a project (engineer confirmed it at the technical talk towards the end of the cruise that it was scrubbers being installed) the noise changes location and type of noise as the work progresses. Hard to say what anyone will experience in advance. They are trying to be considerate, but noise travels far through steel and concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app