Rome Airport to City Center

jeanine

I've taken that train myself, on business, and had a positive experience, but with cruise luggage in tow, to me, it is just not worth the hassle to save thirty bucks for a couple.

6137596957_0588eb20db_b.jpg

Those shelves are always too high and narrow to comfortably corral my belongings over my seat, so I obsess for the entire ride, watching my cases down the aisle...... and heaven forbid that the car is overcrowded! :eek:

There is also a shared shuttle. The cost for one is under 15 euros. It takes you to your hotel. If your lodging is not near the train station, it's a better choice. The disadvantage is you may take a long tour of Rome before you get to your destination.

We used a shared shuttle from the airport last year. Since ours was only 2 couples, it was a little bit longer but not enough to be a problem since nothing was open yet and a bit cheaper and the driver was happy to talk about restaurants and some different things to see.

Just a further thought about taking the train. The luggage of tourists who are tired after a long flight is a tempting situation for those that make their living in an illegal way. We have used Rome Cabs a number of times and found them totally reliable.

We took the train years ago, no problems other than hauling luggage.

We are big fans of Rome Cabs, you cannot go wrong with their service. They also give tours, years ago we had the pleasure of touring with Stefano, the owner. I’ve sung his praises ever since.

We took the train years ago, no problems other than hauling luggage.

We are big fans of Rome Cabs, you cannot go wrong with their service. They also give tours, years ago we had the pleasure of touring with Stefano, the owner. I’ve sung his praises ever since.

We as well have used Stefano a number of times, the last time in October 2017. We have arranged both transfers and private tours in both Rome and Firenza through him. He and his staff are always wonderful and accommodating. He was recommended by friends years ago and we always recommend his company to friends since the first time we used him.

Glenn

We took the train down to the port last year-it is ridiculously cheap compared to other rides but as pointed out above not that easy if you have much luggage. We had only carry on which we put on the seat next to us but some fellow cruisers with bigger bags had to take turns standing down near the door with the big bags. I do not think we would have been happy taking the train into Rome even with carry on early in the morning. Then private means or a shared ride is better.

We took the train down to the port last year
The OP's subject is Airport to Rome city Center,

But yes, it sounds like you were probably on a regional or intercity train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia, and your experience would be correct. For port to Roma Termini I would recommend first class FrecciaBianca service where you will have more room for in carriage luggage storage. It's as low as 9,90 € if purchased in advance.

The Leonardo Express is exclusively an airport train and has plenty of in carriage storage space for luggage as everyone is going to or from the airport. Pretty much the same as Heathrow Express, Hong Kong Airport Express, or Shanghai Maglev (but slower).

Only you can decide if what you travel with can be managed by yourself. FWIW, I too only do carry-on, but then again my trips are only 4-8 weeks long and everywhere I stay has laundry or laundry services so I don't need that much.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it.

There are two bus companies that run to Termini station (same place Leonardo Express goes) for about $7 US.

Large luggage under the bus. Small luggage, you bring on the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums