Review: Carnival Sunshine to Canada/NE Sept 2017

Cyber Kat

I've started a couple of long rambling reviews that I haven't finished for other cruises we've done, so this is going to be fairly short and to the point - as to the point as I can get. I do tend to ramble. But I have lots of pics and I will put a link at the bottom if you want to see them all.

I meant to do this earlier, but I went to CA for a wedding right after the cruise. I ended up with a cold (which I think I caught from my husband - so here it is better late than never!

While the Sunshine didn't make it to my favorites list, it was a lot better than I had read, so a lot better than I expected. Sailing after the kids went back to school may have had something to do with that. The ship was sold out, but not to capacity. A lot of those 3 & 4 person rooms must have had only 2 people in them. It never really felt crowded as I had heard except sometimes in the atrium.

We love sailing out of NYC and since we've been sailing on the Pride the last 2 cruises, it's been awhile. We had FTTF - which actually really helped this time. We got an email and a phone call the day before telling us to come 2 hours later than our time slot. They said it was due to hazardous conditions in the river, so the ship would be late coming in. I did some checking and there was a full moon and higher than normal tides. The Hudson river can be treacherous and when they dock the ships, sometimes it's all they can do to keep from hitting the pier. The tugs usually have their work cut out.

When we arrived at the port, there was a full house - all the berths were filled. We had the Norwegian Gem one pier down and we had an AIDA ship sharing our slot but at the opposite pier. Had to be tricky getting the Sunshine in with a ship already there,

Since we had FTTF we just showed up 2 hours later than the earliest time available. They were already boarding. In my experience sailing from NY many times, boarding in NY is kind of chaotic because they keep you moving very quickly. There was only one line and it started at the door. I thought we'd be there forever, but we were at the security scanners in about 5 minutes. They split those of us with priority boarding off a little before that. We zipped through security, and were pointed in the direction of the FTTF check in. No one ahead of us so we walked right up.

The Sunshine is NOT doing the S&S cards in the mailboxes yet, so we got our cards. They are doing the scanners instead of the ding machine :eek: That does make the line move faster, but they could add a nice ding sound effect for us!

We pack fairly light in smallish suitcases, so we always carry everything on. With FTTF we just skimmed through the atrium and headed aft to our cabin. I love going through the closed doors like I'm important! I know some people don't like FTTF but I'm getting every time.

We had a great cabin! It was an aft wrap on deck 6 (6346) - very convenient to the MDR and the lido. It was nice size with a good layout and a bigger than average shower. We had a fridge and a flat screen TV. I know some cabins on the Sunshine don't have the fridge.

Here's some pics of the room ...

p2618195848-3.jpg

p2618195886-3.jpg

p2618195889-3.jpg

I thought I uploaded pics of the balcony, but it doesn't look like I did. I'll have to do that and post them later. I was an awesome balcony. One of the negatives. This ship needs some serious TLC in some areas. The glass on the balcony looked dirty - really dirty - but I think it was etched from sea water and salt. I don't think it's cleanable. I needs to be replaced.

I'm putting in this photo so you can get an idea of how big it is

p2616830444-3.jpg

This is another reason to get a balcony - you can see the other end of it in this pic

p2616784588-3.jpg

I love these 9C cabins, You have to search for them under premium balconies and book early, because they go fast. They are usually priced a little above a regular balcony, but IMO better than a suite - unless you really want that bathtub!

I was all excited for this trip because we had a lovely sunny day for sail away. The weather on some of our last sailing days has been rather dismal. We knew we were having a late start because of the delay, but they didn't do the muster drill that late, so we thought we would sail soon. We didn't get to sail until 8pm! In the dark! During our late seating dinner! Bummer!

But we finished in time to sail past the Freedom Tower, the Statue of Liberty and under the bridge. With all the lights it was really super and kind of made up for the late departure.

Our table in the dining room was in a great location, overlooking the lower level and with an fabulous wait staff. We had requested a table for 3 and we were right on the upper railing.

We really liked the food on the Pride. It was some of the best food we've had on Carnival, but the Sunshine knocked her out of first place. I'm one of those who have complained that Carnival's food has gone downhill of late - not what it used to be - but the Sunshine food was really good. I even tried the beef one night - Yankee Pot Roast (port specific) and it was delish! Very tender, flavorful gravy. I never remember food pics, so sorry. I don't have any. I usually steer clear of beef on Carnival except for Guy's burgers or the steak house. My DH loves beef and he said every beef dish was great.

We did eat in the Steakhouse one night and it was fantastic. Probably one of the best steakhouse meals we've had on a cruise. This was before the new menu, so we haven't tried that. I had Ahi Tuna Tartare, Surf & Turf with the mushrooms as a side (love them) and cheesecake for dessert. DH had the onion soup and the filet, no dessert - he's so good!

The Sunshine has a lot of different food venues, but we didn't get to try them all. Bonsai Sushi was fun - good food. I did the Mongolian Wok at JiJi for lunch on embarkation day - it didn't disappoint. Wish the cruise was longer so we could have tried more things.

I was on a mission to get a lobster roll in every port!! I completed my mission successfully! But I did not have a Guys burger and I didn't get my Reuben in the deli or my shrimp burrito in the Blue Iguana - guess we'll just have to book another cruise.

I highly recommend checking out the cooking demo in the steakhouse - usually the first sea day on most ships with a steakhouse. It fills up fast and you have to go early. They do a whole meal - soup, salad, entree (chicken, but really good chicken) and dessert. And it's FREE! That's why I didn't get any of my favorites for lunch - we were full!

We ate breakfast - either Sea Day brunch or regular port day breakfast in the MDR each day and food was fantastic. I think we ate at the buffet once.

We had fantastic weather except for the last day. It was mixed sun and clouds with some fog thrown in, but I think it's a law of nature that you MUST have fog on a Canada cruise.

We had one sea day going up and one coming back. Ports were great! Boston, Portland, Saint John, NB & Halifax, NS. I can now add Maine to the list of states I've been to.

In Boston we saw the Constitution, the Old North Church, Paul Revere's House, Faneuil Hall and the Quincy Market (so many food choices!). We went to an Irish Pub called the Black Rose for a few beers and my lobster roll.

Portland was a Carnival Excursion called Portland by Land and Sea. We did a brief bus tour, got to stop at the iconic Portland Head Lighthouse, then we went for a sail on an old schooner. It was a great day!

We also did a Carnival Excursion in Saint John called Coastal Photography. We went around in a small group on a van to some off the beaten paths places with a professional photographer. It was wonderful. She gave great tips - wish I'd taken notes, we saw some interesting sights and got some very nice photos!

Since Halifax is one of the ports, we'd been to before, we opted just to do some things on our own. We took a cab to the Citadel, a fortress on a steep hill. We weren't walking that one! We arrived in time to watch them fire the noon cannon. It was loud! We missed the changing of the guard, but we did see the bagpipers. After that we went to the Maritime Museum for the Titanic Exhibit and the exhibit on the Halifax Explosion in 1917. We walked back to the ship via the Harbor Walk with a stop for a lobster roll, and a few beers at Garrison's.

And then we sailed for home! Debarkation couldn't have been easier.

I'll put some more port info in the next post along with some more pics if you want to take a look at them all

This is link to the photos http://cyberkatkreations.zenfolio.com/p688433126

We were on this same cruise, although I believe a week later (thank you for getting off so we could get on!)

I didn't know about this! Was it in the Fun Times? Did you have to sign up for it? We are going back on the Sunshine in January and would love to try this!

I highly recommend checking out the cooking demo in the steakhouse - usually the first sea day on most ships with a steakhouse. It fills up fast and you have to go early. They do a whole meal - soup, salad, entree (chicken, but really good chicken) and dessert. And it's FREE! That's why I didn't get any of my favorites for lunch - we were full!

We did the same excursion in Saint John. It was awesome!

We were on this same cruise, although I believe a week later (thank you for getting off so we could get on!)

I didn't know about this! Was it in the Fun Times? Did you have to sign up for it? We are going back on the Sunshine in January and would love to try this!

We did the same excursion in Saint John. It was awesome!

You just have to go there early. Check your Fun Times. It’s usually the first sea day around noon - maybe 12:30 pm. Go around a half hour earlier and hang out. It’s so worth it. They give you the recipes too. We had a fabulous mushroom soup, spinach salad, a really yummy chicken dish and tiramisu - so good. It’s a really fun demo.

Sometimes they do a wine pairing and there is a charge for that, but if it’s just the cooking demo it’s free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Kath! Great review. Haven't looked at your pictures yet. We were on the cruise 2 weeks after you. (9/23-9/30) I agree with you 100% about the Sunshine. I was really so pleasantly surprised! None of the long lines and crowding I have read about. We also left late and it was awesome to sail from NY all lit up. Difference is we had gorgeous weather in Boston and Portland, but then the fog and drizzle/rain arrived and Halifax and St. John were a wash out. Food was VERY GOOD. We had breakfast and lunch on Lido at the buffet every day. Lunch from Cucina was fantastic and wish I had taken advantage of it earlier, but there were just so many good choices from the buffet. LOVE that cabin. We had something similar on Dream. (Spirit class has the separate rooms in aft wraps) What is that table in what looks like another room next to the couch? Thanks for your review and maybe we'll hook up on a cruise someday! Sure wish Sunshine was staying in NY. :( KEEP WARM!

Hey Kath! Great review. Haven't looked at your pictures yet. We were on the cruise 2 weeks after you. (9/23-9/30) I agree with you 100% about the Sunshine. I was really so pleasantly surprised! None of the long lines and crowding I have read about. We also left late and it was awesome to sail from NY all lit up. Difference is we had gorgeous weather in Boston and Portland, but then the fog and drizzle/rain arrived and Halifax and St. John were a wash out. Food was VERY GOOD. We had breakfast and lunch on Lido at the buffet every day. Lunch from Cucina was fantastic and wish I had taken advantage of it earlier, but there were just so many good choices from the buffet. LOVE that cabin. We had something similar on Dream. (Spirit class has the separate rooms in aft wraps) What is that table in what looks like another room next to the couch? Thanks for your review and maybe we'll hook up on a cruise someday! Sure wish Sunshine was staying in NY. :( KEEP WARM!

Thanks! Sorry to hear you had not so great weather in Saint John & Halifax. I loved all 4 ports. I wanted to try Cucina but it got lost in my lobster roll quest :)

Spirit class aft wraps are billed as suites so they are a lot more than the aft wraps with only 1 room. The area with the table next to the couch is the access for the bathroom.

I wish it was staying in NYC as well. I don't know what Carnival plans for NYC - they treat us like we're not wanted :) Florida gets a ton of ships and we get none. Other lines can make it in NY - I don't get it.

We keep missing each other - one day we'll connect.

Thanks! Sorry to hear you had not so great weather in Saint John & Halifax. I loved all 4 ports. I wanted to try Cucina but it got lost in my lobster roll quest :)

Spirit class aft wraps are billed as suites so they are a lot more than the aft wraps with only 1 room. The area with the table next to the couch is the access for the bathroom.

I wish it was staying in NYC as well. I don't know what Carnival plans for NYC - they treat us like we're not wanted :) Florida gets a ton of ships and we get none. Other lines can make it in NY - I don't get it.

We keep missing each other - one day we'll connect.

Oh, I know, we are the unwanted port! :loudcry: Horizon will be here for some sailings but I have no desire to sail on a big ship....and I am an atrium maniac. I love my "floor to ceiling" atriums and Horizon and Vista just won't cut it. Plus we like to cruise after the holidays or early spring.

I remember when we first had those aft wraps on CCL Spirit. DH "discovered" them. Didn't even have CC or cruisedeckplans.com yet to give us the heads up lol. We paid the same price as a regular balcony cabin. Booked it on Spirit, Miracle and Legend. "Same" cabin-8268. Then CCL wised up and realized they could get top $ for them and the category and prices kept going up and up. Glad you snagged one!

You, me and Jamman and Patti have to find a cruise to sail on together someday! :beer-toast:

Just went thru your pictures. They are fantastic and you sure lucked out with the weather! On our cruise, the rain was coming down in sheets in Halifax. We have the same picture of the birds nest in Portland. But it was empty when I snapped it! :confused: What kind of camera do you use? Also did not know the towel animals invaded the whole ship! Have only seen them at the Lido pool on Pride and Sunshine.

Just went thru your pictures. They are fantastic and you sure lucked out with the weather! On our cruise, the rain was coming down in sheets in Halifax. We have the same picture of the birds nest in Portland. But it was empty when I snapped it! :confused: What kind of camera do you use? Also did not know the towel animals invaded the whole ship! Have only seen them at the Lido pool on Pride and Sunshine.

They were all over the Atrium too! I only discovered those by accident. I forget what I went down there for.

Our weather was simply spectacular! My camera is Panasonic Lumix. I have 2 - my cheaper one and my husband's hand me down from when he got a new one :D Mine is small so I can throw it in a pocket or purse. The hand me down is bigger but takes better pics.

We really do have to plan a group cruise - do the roll call before the cruise! Maybe on the Pride - but not this year - we're booked up! Viking Ocean in March, Bermuda fly in and stay in July and Viking river cruise in September. We need time to build up the bank account!

Cyber Kat, thanks for the review, returning to Carnival after 25 years and going on the Sunshine. I have an old carnival brochure so I thought there would be noise under the deck 6 aft facing cabins but I just looked again and see that aft cabins were added on 5 where there was a lounge before.

Did you find your cabin location quiet, we always book aft facing and I have a regular aft facing on deck 7 booked, the only wrap cabin available is 6346, now that I read your review I am thinking of switching if there is no noise from below, any noise that you noticed, I am a light sleeper, that's why we like the quiet aft, also any soot or extreme vibration while sailing, we are use to it pulling in and out of port.:eek:

Thanks in advance for your help.

They were all over the Atrium too! I only discovered those by accident. I forget what I went down there for.

Our weather was simply spectacular! My camera is Panasonic Lumix. I have 2 - my cheaper one and my husband's hand me down from when he got a new one :D Mine is small so I can throw it in a pocket or purse. The hand me down is bigger but takes better pics.

We really do have to plan a group cruise - do the roll call before the cruise! Maybe on the Pride - but not this year - we're booked up! Viking Ocean in March, Bermuda fly in and stay in July and Viking river cruise in September. We need time to build up the bank account!

I'm jealous....and envious....and happy for you! :D(y)I am sure you can't wait to get back to Bermuda. Maybe Pride 1/2019 Journey!? I am wanting to do a B2B on Magic winter of 2019 but we'll have to see "what happens." Got so spoiled cruising from NY and then Baltimore as a back up that I don't want the hassle of flying! ENJOY your countdowns and planning!

Cyber Kat, thanks for the review, returning to Carnival after 25 years and going on the Sunshine. I have an old carnival brochure so I thought there would be noise under the deck 6 aft facing cabins but I just looked again and see that aft cabins were added on 5 where there was a lounge before.

Did you find your cabin location quiet, we always book aft facing and I have a regular aft facing on deck 7 booked, the only wrap cabin available is 6346, now that I read your review I am thinking of switching if there is no noise from below, any noise that you noticed, I am a light sleeper, that's why we like the quiet aft, also any soot or extreme vibration while sailing, we are use to it pulling in and out of port.:eek:

Thanks in advance for your help.

No noise and no vibration! The deck 6 aft cabins now have rooms above and below.

We had some issues with the toilet working strangely. It would flush on its own at odd times and make a loud noise, but it wouldn’t flush when you wanted it to. [emoji15] Also we had no hot water. They fixed both issues. Took 2 phone calls, but they got it done and we had no other issues.

Like I said the ship could use some TLC, but the public spaces were really nicely done. We spent a lot of time on deck 5 in the Ocean Plaza area. There was a great band playing there most nights

I heard people complaining about the comedy club but we never went. We do like the bands and live music.

We really enjoyed the ship. The crew were all great. Rery our room steward was fantastic!

I'm jealous....and envious....and happy for you! :D(y)I am sure you can't wait to get back to Bermuda. Maybe Pride 1/2019 Journey!? I am wanting to do a B2B on Magic winter of 2019 but we'll have to see "what happens." Got so spoiled cruising from NY and then Baltimore as a back up that I don't want the hassle of flying! ENJOY your countdowns and planning!

Well we’re retired now and we always wanted to travel. We saved up and we’re leaving no inheritances [emoji12]

I really do like cruising from NY. Baltimore is fine or Boston would work too. We are flying to San Juan for the March cruise. I was looking forward to sailing from there but now everything is such a mess. I think it will be okay by March.

I’m following all the San Juan threads. Old San Juan didn’t get hit as badly as the rest of the island. Our hotel is open and has a good generator for when the power goes out. They get it working and then it goes out again.

I’m counting down - thanks! Oh and I don’t like the big ships either!

Well we’re retired now and we always wanted to travel. We saved up and we’re leaving no inheritances [emoji12]

I really do like cruising from NY. Baltimore is fine or Boston would work too. We are flying to San Juan for the March cruise. I was looking forward to sailing from there but now everything is such a mess. I think it will be okay by March.

I’m following all the San Juan threads. Old San Juan didn’t get hit as badly as the rest of the island. Our hotel is open and has a good generator for when the power goes out. They get it working and then it goes out again.

I’m counting down - thanks! Oh and I don’t like the big ships either!

We are going on the Pride Journeys cruise in January. Truly thought all our ports would be changed but the only one was Dominica for Martinique. One POC will be SJ, so I will let you know! If I had the $ and patience for flying, we would do a PR sailing also. We did one years ago (Fascination I think) and we had a wonderful time pre and post cruise there. ;) DS and DIL sailed Anthem OTS out of Bayonne last spring. They have been on a bunch of cruises and they said the ship was just TOO big. Lines for everything, things had to be reserved ahead of time, etc. Just not something they would do again! And DH is too loyal to CCL to "jump ship" to NCL or RCI so we are "stuck" with Baltimore unless we fly. I'm happy we were able to do a cruise on Sunshine before she goes to FL. Would book her again!

No noise and no vibration! The deck 6 aft cabins now have rooms above and below.

We had some issues with the toilet working strangely. It would flush on its own at odd times and make a loud noise, but it wouldn’t flush when you wanted it to. [emoji15] Also we had no hot water. They fixed both issues. Took 2 phone calls, but they got it done and we had no other issues.

Like I said the ship could use some TLC, but the public spaces were really nicely done. We spent a lot of time on deck 5 in the Ocean Plaza area. There was a great band playing there most nights

I heard people complaining about the comedy club but we never went. We do like the bands and live music.

We really enjoyed the ship. The crew were all great. Rery our room steward was fantastic!

Thank you so much:D I was able to get the same corner cabin on 6 that you had, it was 350. more than the 8m regular aft extended balcony, not sure if that is a good price or not, I am use to NCL pricing and most of their wrap corner afts are suites.

Thank you so much:D I was able to get the same corner cabin on 6 that you had, it was 350. more than the 8m regular aft extended balcony, not sure if that is a good price or not, I am use to NCL pricing and most of their wrap corner afts are suites.

Some aft wraps on Carnival are 2 rooms so they are billed as suites. If they are 1 room they are billed as premium balconies - much cheaper. Enjoy!

You just have to go there early. Check your Fun Times. It’s usually the first sea day around noon - maybe 12:30 pm. Go around a half hour earlier and hang out. It’s so worth it. They give you the recipes too. We had a fabulous mushroom soup, spinach salad, a really yummy chicken dish and tiramisu - so good. It’s a really fun demo.

I agree but I would like to see a new menu and learn new foods to prepare. We first had the current menu on the Spirit from San Diego in January 2011. After nearly 7 years it's time to demonstrate new foods.

I agree but I would like to see a new menu and learn new foods to prepare. We first had the current menu on the Spirit from San Diego in January 2011. After nearly 7 years it's time to demonstrate new foods.

AGREE! We did the cooking demo twice on Miracle and that was years ago. They are doing the same foods still which is why I haven't gone to any of the demos. Time to do a drydock of cooking demo! :evilsmile:

AGREE! We did the cooking demo twice on Miracle and that was years ago. They are doing the same foods still which is why I haven't gone to any of the demos. Time to do a drydock of cooking demo! :evilsmile:

We go for the food more than the demo. It’s a better lunch than you will get anywhere else on the ship! [emoji39]

I said I would tell you a bit about the ports. We really like the cruises to Canada, but this was our first 7 day with Boston and Portland, ME.

BOSTON:

We've been to Boston before, but didn't get to see many of the historic sites - long story! We were really looking forward to it. We didn't book any excursions. We had a lot of time in port, and much of what we wanted to see was within walking distance (for us - we walk a lot) from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. I explored a number of options, including the HOHO bus, but we hadn't made up our minds. On the night before, we had some of the usual literature in our room, or they made an announcement - I forget which - that there would be a shuttle from the Port to Faneuil Hall every half hour for $10pp one way or $18 if you bought the round trip - we did.

There were lines and sign ups for so much in the terminal building, but we got our tickets and a map and headed for the bus. We got bumped off the first one by a huge group (20-25 people) that wanted to stay together but only had ONE person in the line. That really ticked me off - especially since a similar thing happened to us with Elegant Night Photos on the stairs.

But a second bus came along right after, so we didn't have to wait long. Nice buses - about a 15 minute ride. They dropped us off and gave us instructions about picking up the bus to return. Last one left at 3:30pm - we had to be back on board by 4:00 for a 4:30 departure.

We checked our map and headed off to see the USS Constitution aka Old Ironsides, which had just been returned to it's dock from dry dock the week before. We mapped a route that would take us past the Old North Church.

This is the Paul Revere Statue near the church in a lovely little park

p2616785346-3.jpg

The streets of Old Boston are very narrow. It was difficult to get a good shot of the church and we didn't want to dawdle, so this is it.

p2616785898-3.jpg

Was a bit of a hike, but we made it to the Constitution. Very nice little museum and gift shop there, but as I said we were on bit of a schedule and this was the furthest point on our route. We didn't spend too much time. The guides are service men and women. I think in the Navy, but they were young, so maybe cadets of some sort.

p2616786002-3.jpg

This is the main deck once you board

p2616786209-3.jpg

Gun deck

p2616787335-3.jpg

If you go on board and want to go below decks, do be aware that it's tricky. In this next photo, you can see the stairs. They are narrow, have rope "bannisters" and you have to duck to avoid hitting your head.

p2616788025-3.jpg

I think that's a capstan, but maybe some of those who are more nautical can correct me!

I can't put any more than 6 pics in this post, so follow me down to the next and I'll give you a few more. I wish they would adjust that. It's kind of a pain

BOSTON 2

From there, we headed back, but I had mapped a route that would take us to the Paul Revere house. I'm fascinated by architecture and old buildings, and I find Paul Revere and some of the other Founding Fathers to be very interesting.

You can't take photos inside the house but it was as interesting as it's owner. The guides were great and all had stories. There is one in each room.

This is the entrance after you pay a small fee

p2616789214-3.jpg

And this is the outside from a small square across the street

p2616789978-3.jpg

We wanted to get a drink (and my first lobster roll) at the Black Rose Pub, so we headed back to the Faneuil Hall area

This is between the 2 buildings that make up the Quincy Market - so many places to eat, lots of shops. You could spend your whole day here!

p2616790161-3.jpg

This is Faneuil Hall. There is a museum, but we didn't have time. Beer and lobster were calling!

p2616790262-3.jpg

I took a couple of photos inside the Black Rose Pub, but they didn't come out that well, so I didn't upload them. It's a really nice place and I recommend it highly. Sam Adams and a lobster roll - which was delish! Took a bit of finding - make sure you take the address if you want to go.

https://www.blackroseboston.com/

After that we headed over to where the buses were picking us up - 3:00pm bus, just in case! We had a little kerfuffle with a driver from another bus line who blocked 2 of our buses in and refused to leave. Both drivers from our buses were over there having an argument with much gesturing going on. He didn't leave, but they were able to do some tricky maneuvers with our buses to get on the way.

Took a bit longer to get back. Different route, more traffic, I guess, but we got back with time to spare. It was 9/11 and Patriot's Day, so there was a flag hanging in the atrium and they did a moment of silence at 4:45pm. Some people either didn't understand silence or didn't have watches

p2616792729-3.jpg

And we bid a fond farewell to Boston

p2616793467-3.jpg

Next stop Portland, ME!