Seattle R/T Alaska - Westerdam or Amsterdam?

Mrsfrz

We want to go to Sitka, and the only ships that stop there are the Eurodam, Westerdam and Amsterdam. Since we just sailed the Eurodam last year, we thought about trying another ship. I've read mixed reviews about both. We are not averse to taking the Eurodam again if that's the best one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have sailed on all 3 ships.

Eurodam has changed quite a few things on the ship since you last sailed on her.

We have done Alaska a few times on the Westerdam.

Very hard to choose. Are all the other ports doing the same itineraries? Do they all have the same amount of time in each port? I always check that carefully as we like more port time.

We, also, have been on both ships. I have only been to Sitka on the Amsterdam. check on cruisetimetables.com to see what other ships will be with you at this port. How many passengers will be walking around this small port and going on the excursions. Amsterdam is a smaller older ship with decor of the 1920's. It is not as old as that but gives you the feeling of the 20's!

Unless things have changed, Sitka gives you the atmosphere of Alaska more than the towns that have changed for the tourists. Euro would be my next choice

I've been to Sitka on both ships. The Amsterdam is our favorite but it's the smaller of the two (1300 passengers vs. 1800 passengers). We're doing the Westerdam again this year and are hoping to do the Amsterdam 2 week next year.

We love Sitka. It is truly more of the true Alaska experience than what you see shoreside at Juneau or Ketchikan. Sitka is easy to walk around. My husband uses a mobility scooter and we put anywhere from 3-6 miles on it each time we visit. Our favorite is to head to the right from the tender pier, along the marina area, and end up at the totem poles. The park is very scooter friendly and has several trails. We eventually head back to town and do some looking. It's nice to not have the Diamonds International type shops.

Enjoy Sitka. The sail-in is very scenic and the people are very friendly.

Karen

The port times are almost identical, within 30 minutes of each other. I'd rather take a northbound or southbound trip out of Vancouver, but we are going with friends who prefer Seattle. I was surprised to see so few ships going to Sitka.

All else being equal, I would choose the Amsterdam. That ship is smaller, yet has a lot of outdoor space where you can sit and watch the scenery go by. Much of that space is sheltered from the elements, too! (which you can get a lot of in Alaska ;) )

But rarely is all else equal. Besides port times, compare which days of the week the ship sails on, and how many other ships share the ports with you. That can make a huge difference in your enjoyment of any given port.

It might also depend or whether you want to see Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm (both are good). Also they leave on different days, that might make a difference on the flight.

My sister, brother and I chose the Westerdam as it goes to Glacier Bay where I used to to research on the glaciers.

It might also depend or whether you want to see Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm (both are good). Also they leave on different days, that might make a difference on the flight.

My sister, brother and I chose the Westerdam as it goes to Glacier Bay where I used to to research on the glaciers.

Oops, it looks like the Amsterdam visits the Hubbard Glacier, not Tracy Arm. Also a spectacular glacier.

We want to go to Sitka, and the only ships that stop there are the Eurodam, Westerdam and Amsterdam. Since we just sailed the Eurodam last year, we thought about trying another ship. I've read mixed reviews about both. We are not averse to taking the Eurodam again if that's the best one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FWIW we chose Amsterdam - 14-nights (I think that is what limited us to Amsterdam.)

I just realized the Eurodam is not sailing to Alaska this year, so it's Westerdam or Amsterdam. What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle. Oh, the decisions we have to make! Good idea to check what's in port too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just realized the Eurodam is not sailing to Alaska this year, so it's Westerdam or Amsterdam. What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle. Oh, the decisions we have to make! Good idea to check what's in port too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I personally prefer the Amsterdam, because it is quite a bit smaller than the Westerdam!! We have cruised to Alaska many times, We have cruised Amsterdam the most, but also Statendam, and Zaandam, We have cruised on Westerdam and Oosterdam and Noordam, but the larger ships are sooooo far to walk from one end to the other. I have been to Glacier Bay quite a few times, but find Tracy Arm the most exciting!! all the corners of the Fjord, and

the views of the glacier are breathtaking... We had gone to Glacier Bay back in

the 1980s and again since 2000. There is a vast difference between then and now, because the glaciers are receeding... back in the 1980s Glacier bay was

exciting, but now one doesn't get very close , and I found it kind of boring,

saying that, I'm sure either glacier that HAL is going to is exciting and something one doesn't get to see everyday.... You need to go to Alaska more than once to get a good overview of the area.... Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

carri

The port times are almost identical, within 30 minutes of each other. I'd rather take a northbound or southbound trip out of Vancouver, but we are going with friends who prefer Seattle. I was surprised to see so few ships going to Sitka.

Sitka is one of our favorite ports on the 14day!

What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle.

I have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier many times, in all sorts of weather.

On a good weather day, either one is thrilling! On a bad weather day, not worth getting out of bed for.

But assuming the weather is the same at both places, Glacier Bay is most of a full day sailing from one glacier to another, while seeing gorgeous scenery both close at hand, and off in the distance. Serene, quiet, grand.

Hubbard Glacier is one huge glacier at the end of a very pretty ride up Yakutat Bay. If you catch it right (I did only once) you will see sun reflecting off the ice & snow on the Mt. Elias range---probably the most breathtaking sight I have ever seen. You may see baby seals on the ice floes as you head up the bay. Such fun to see them sliding off the ice, then learning how to climb back up again. Just to slide right back off! The young do love to play!

Eventually, you turn a corner to see a massive field of ice in front of you.

Whichever one you go to, you won't be disappointed (unless there's so much fog you can't see a thing. sadly, that also happens).

Both Amsterdam and Westerdam sail out of Seattle so the Puget Sound is the only way out :)

Westerdam is our favorite of the Vista sisters as the decor seems to be a lot more subdued and has a great crew. Westerdam also has Chocolate Seduction (at least still had it last September)- one of my favorite spots. More stateroom types on Westerdam- has actual Veranda cabins and Signature Suites ( all Verandas on Amsterdam are now "Vista Suites").

Amsterdam is smaller and more intimate and IMO a very elegant lady. More like the old ocean liner days.

Really depends on the ambiance you are looking for, how active and entertained you want to be on board, and your itinerary preferences.

Edited by frankc98376