Travel agent or booking direct with cruise line?

juliet

some TA's give perks such a prepaid gratuities or OBC etc

It is a personal choice

I always get good service from my TA if things should go pear shaped

Check to see how long you have to transfer the booking some lines it is only 30 days

Enjoy

As aforementioned: there's a zillion threads on CC explaining why it is far better to use a TA, including...

When it comes to problem solutions, top sellers of a particular line's cruises has far more clout than does a single passenger.

A TA sharing commissions can mean hundreds to thousands of dollars in rebate or refundable OBC on longer expensive cruises.

Etc., etc.

Of course, the challenge is finding those top sellers (e.g., for Oceania, a member of their Connoisseurs Club).

For starters, in your search, check TAs who are often quoted about cruises in major metro news travel sections and review the occasional "best of ..." lists published by Condé Nast Travelers.

One caveat though: many of the top agencies (often with a "brick and mortar" plus online presence) often won't handle low end cruise line bookings (e.g., Carnival) due to the low commissions.

Does it make sense to transfer our booked cruise to a travel agent? Have read some people do it buy not sure why. Thanks in advance.

We do it many times. Book directly with cruise line when they run a special or are giving extra OBC. Hang up with the cruise line and call the online TA we use. Keep all the cruise line offers and pick up OBC, specialty dining, and usualy pre paid perks from the TA...

I use a travel agent because of better pricing, perks offered, more personal service (i.e. they will print my documents if I wish them to do so; saves me ink and paper), will respond to questions and concerns promptly, doing some research if need be, and can help solve problems or issues with the booking if such occur.

My agent knows me and knows what I prefer. She often makes helpful suggestions and provides ideas that I had not considered.

Costs me nothing to use her service!

You are always much better off booking with a travel agent. You will get the on board credit and discounts the cruise is offering plus additional savings and perks from your travel agent.

Also, if you stay aware of sales and contact your travel agent you will often get additional savings. Cruise Lines by contrast will not always give the additional reduced rates.

Large cruise sales agents will often times have groups booked on a specific cruise and they can get you significant savings, obc and special perks.

The longer you stay with a good agent, the better the perks get.

Jonathan