Carribean Ventura or Oriana?

ann141

We are considering one of the 28 day Caribbean cruises early 2019.The better itinerary is on Oriana but I am a little concerned with how stable she is translantic.I presume Ventura would be more stable as she is larger but can anyone who has sailed on both ships with a lot of sea days advise me?

Oriana every time for me. She was built for world cruising, including ocean crossings and lots of sea days. She has a deeper keel and faster speed. She also has more open deck space per person and lots of public rooms so lots of activities can run concurrently.

Oriana every time for me. She was built for world cruising, including ocean crossings and lots of sea days. She has a deeper keel and faster speed. She also has more open deck space per person and lots of public rooms so lots of activities can run concurrently.

Thank you.Thats useful to know

On the basis that Ventura will be cheaper, I would go with her. I would like to go on Oriana for a transatlantic but as I need a mini suite, I use a scooter. I will stick with Ventura.

We are on Oriana this year as it happens.

We like all the ships.

I would have no concerns at all about Oriana’s sea handling capability. Crossing the Atlantic was what she was built for.

Edited by daiB

I would have no concerns at all about Oriana’s sea handling capability. Crossing the Atlantic was what she was built for.

Hi...is it the same for Aurora and possibly Oceana in that they were built for crossing the Atlantic ?.

WE did 28 day Caribbean last year on Ventura and it was fine. Coming home we had some 30 - 40 knot winds and she handled that okay...not much swaying or bumping at all. I would have thought all ships were built for sailing any water ? Pardon my ignorance if that is wrong.

We have done both more than once across the Atlantic and Oriana is the more comfortable ride.....Ventura is huge and if the wind gets her she does move around alot whereas Oriana just sails through it.....she is also a much nicer ship!

All encouraging to book Oriana.We have sailed Britannia translantic twice which was fine.I just wondered whether we might feel more movement on Oriana as she is a lot smaller but it sounds as though she will be fine.Thank you all for your replies

I have sailed transatlantic on Ventura without any problems. The weather was however, good throughout. Whether the journey would have been so pleasant had it not been I cannot say. Ventura and her ilk were principaly designed for cruising in the sheltered waters of the Caribbean and Mediteranean, not long distance ocean crossings. Their high sail like sides and relatively shallow draught are not best suited to the latter. Oriana however, was designed for long voyages and has a similar draught despite her smaller size. She has also a much lower profile and more powerful engines - 47750 kw compared to Venturas 42000kw - so is much better suited to ocean travel. She is very stable in inclement weather. And I say that as someone who has been on her in a force 10 gale!

Edited by Denarius
Additional info

We looked at both these cruises and the 35 dayer on Ventura in February and it worked out much better value to book a balcony on Ventura for 35 days

The 35 nights on ventura looks great but for various reasons we can only commit to 28 nights so will probably choose oriana as the itinerary looks more interesting

However, don't forget to factor in all the failings of Oriana.

The well documented constant shake at rear of ship, particularly in the MDR, at times it was so bad that even I was put off my food!

Also, in a 2 week cruise the electrics failed at least three times, this meant no air condotioning, even in the theatre, the cancellation or curtailment of activities, delays in dining, and delays in arriving at and leaving ports. Together with the dated facilities, decor and cramped cabins (the bathroom door opened inwards meant no space even to grab a tissue without closing the door behind you). Even the newer cabins which replaced the children's facilities when it became adult only, were flooded more than once.

All this means that i would never go on Oriana again.

However, don't forget to factor in all the failings of Oriana.

The well documented constant shake at rear of ship, particularly in the MDR, at times it was so bad that even I was put off my food!

Also, in a 2 week cruise the electrics failed at least three times, this meant no air condotioning, even in the theatre, the cancellation or curtailment of activities, delays in dining, and delays in arriving at and leaving ports. Together with the dated facilities, decor and cramped cabins (the bathroom door opened inwards meant no space even to grab a tissue without closing the door behind you). Even the newer cabins which replaced the children's facilities when it became adult only, were flooded more than once.

I have heard of other people saying they wouldn t sail on Oriana again for the reasons you mention though for others Oriana is their favourite ship!Decisions,decisions- i might wait until nearer the time to finally decide!

All this means that i would never go on Oriana again.

Ann

Ann

Must have pressed the wrong key! Meant to say that i have heard of others who won t sail on Oriana again for the reasons you mention but for others Oriana is their favourite ship.I might just wait until nearer the time to decide and hope for a bargain!

Hi...is it the same for Aurora and possibly Oceana in that they were built for crossing the Atlantic ?.

Yes re Aurora but Oceana was built for Caribbean cruising.