Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Ditto on your comment about the Solarium. Spacing seems to be less adequate than with M or S ships - not only because the poo is much smaller, but also there seems to be a lot more decking available (yes, there will be more chairs but I'd rather have more pool...)

There is a weird thing about the Solariums everywhere: suffocating smell of chlorine... I am a chemist with decades of working in the lab, and even I cough every now and then, passing through these venues. I hope the Edge would be the first ship that will use nature-based antiseptics in Solarium!

As a chemist you should also know that perspiration, oils and urine (!) combine with chlorine to form chloramine which creates a very strong chlorine smell. I've got a feeling that's what you’ve been encountering. 😉

I guess suite guests will have to mingle with the rest of us if they actually want to swim :) I think the retreat area is for relaxing not actually getting exercise... that is probably part of the logic of a dipping pool. You know sitting in the pool with your pina colada vs going all Mark Spitz

kearney- you got this exactly right. The Retreat Pool is for suite guests to stand around and sip on delicious icy drinks. Very few will be swimming laps! The Mark Spitz types will need to go to the beach once in port to get their laps in.

I guess suite guests will have to mingle with the rest of us if they actually want to swim :) I think the retreat area is for relaxing not actually getting exercise... that is probably part of the logic of a dipping pool. You know sitting in the pool with your pina colada vs going all Mark Spitz

Sounds like heaven to me.

Oh, I'm so ready to board..! 😁

Just completed our check in for the maiden voyage !! Guess its official!! Hard to believe its been 18 mos since we booked ...on that very first day they became available! Seems very real now......We still have a Vietnam cruise to do in November on Silversea beforehand...time is gonna fly this fall!

In terms of water volume, Royal Caribbean’s Aqua Theater pools are probably the largest afloat, but they are not available for public use. Originally they were going to be.

Yes, they were announced as being public. Then they only opened them for (paid) diving lessons. I don´t know whether those are still held.

steamboats

Yes, all the Sky Suites have traditional outside balconies. The dimensions are as follows:

S1 aft - 299 sq ft with 163 sq ft balcony

S2 - 319 sq ft with 79 sq ft balcony

S3 - 298 sq ft with 102 sq ft balcony

Accessible S2 - 418 sq ft with 99 sq ft balcony (sorry, Getty, couldn't find a picture to see if bed faces the ocean)

The S1 mid-ship balconies are the mystery, but I suspect they are similar to the S2's (79 sq ft). Here is a picture of S1 balconies on 10 and S2 balconies on 9 mid-ship. They appear to be the same size to me.

enhance

I think we’ve discussed this before but if the non-aft S1 balconies are the same size as the S2 and the S2 cabin is bigger than the S1, as listed in your stats above, then why are the S1s more money??? Especially when you have S2s on Deck 10 near the mid-ship elevators just like the S1s on Deck 11 are (generally considered desirable - look at how the big suites on S class are almost all centered around those elevators). Something has to be bigger in the non-aft S1s vs. the S2s or it doesn’t justify a higher price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We see Edge postured in her almost completed radiance, a young maiden-to-be of voyages, aspiring to become a regal lady of the world’s oceans. She has had no say as to how she will be presented. She knows nothing of the thoughts and words which are now a preamble to her much anticipated debut. Her acceptance relies on the many skilled craftspeople who, from conception, have created the heart and soul, the very essence of this latest sailing ship.

The youngest of several in her Celebrity family, Edge will be granted no pardon. She will be expected to test the waters with all her mettle, transporting her guests with a reserved temperament and a genuine assurance.

There will be the inevitable pomp and circumstance at her total reveal, as Edge begins her initial ocean crossing while preparing to collect the first paying passengers. Our many footfalls when boarding Edge will respectfully reflect any pre-conceived notions, ideas and opinions. At the same time, when entering the embodiment of this grand vessel, our eager anticipation, excitement and comfort will be entrusted to her care.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that is really lovely ----- am almost forgiving those chairs and wardrobe space now.

Seriously, I thought this was lovely ---- we always comment that we know why they call ships 'she' because they all seem to have their own personality and 'being' -- (if that makes any sense at all)

I think we’ve discussed this before but if the non-aft S1 balconies are the same size as the S2 and the S2 cabin is bigger than the S1, as listed in your stats above, then why are the S1s more money??? Especially when you have S2s on Deck 10 near the mid-ship elevators just like the S1s on Deck 11 are (generally considered desirable - look at how the big suites on S class are almost all centered around those elevators). Something has to be bigger in the non-aft S1s vs. the S2s or it doesn’t justify a higher price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know, I was thinking the same thing until the recent pictures have been showing balconies that appear to be identical in length. The width remains to be seen, so there is possibly more square footage in the S1's?

If they are the same sq footage, I think the classification boils down to location. Of the centrally located SS's on 9 and 10, the S1's are a higher deck than the S2's, the S1's on 10 are more central than the S2's on 10 and the other S1's are on the higher deck 11. I looked at some of the prices and they are only about $100 pp difference, which is similar to the AQ1 and AQ2 ($50-100 difference often) and different levels of concierge and infinite verandas (they usually seem to be classified by location - higher, more central is higher classification with $50-100 price difference).

Another mystery to be solved onboard. :D

It's a carry-over from the old pre-AC days [remember the etymology of 'posh': port out, starboard home through the Suez Canal to catch the few breezes]. The higher the deck, the better the location so the more expensive the cabin. Now AC makes all cabins equally cool, and the higher the deck the rougher the ride – so we are very happy to move at least one deck down to get cabins above and below us. But many cruise ships continue to locate the high-rent cabins right under the pool deck – and get away with it. What really bothers me is when all the suites are on that top deck :eek:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/4f1e55e3f9d48acb3b9bd4429a9b0604.jpg

Okay VT and Lloyd.... do you recall some months ago as they were starting to take the 'curtains' off the ship... I was wondering about what appears to be an obstruction that comes from the ceiling. At the time I think , as I recall, we concluded that it was some kind of access panel that dropped down. One of these 'platforms' appears outside cabin 12107... next to one of the Royal suites. I notice that this thingy is still there.... now that things are being cleaned up and nearing completion... any ideas on what it is. If you look at this fabulous photo from the bridge... you can see it.. It hangs down in front of the cabin that is immediately next to the section that juts out. I think a davit cabin would be far more acceptable assuming this thingy stays in this position. Any updated ideas on what this is....? I am hoping it is an access panel that allows crew to get to window washing mechanism... Every photo I have seen has had this hanging down... so I am wondering if it does retract.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/4f1e55e3f9d48acb3b9bd4429a9b0604.jpg

Okay VT and Lloyd.... do you recall some months ago as they were starting to take the 'curtains' off the ship... I was wondering about what appears to be an obstruction that comes from the ceiling. At the time I think , as I recall, we concluded that it was some kind of access panel that dropped down. One of these 'platforms' appears outside cabin 12107... next to one of the Royal suites. I notice that this thingy is still there.... now that things are being cleaned up and nearing completion... any ideas on what it is. If you look at this fabulous photo from the bridge... you can see it.. It hangs down in front of the cabin that is immediately next to the section that juts out. I think a davit cabin would be far more acceptable assuming this thingy stays in this position. Any updated ideas on what this is....? I am hoping it is an access panel that allows crew to get to window washing mechanism... Every photo I have seen has had this hanging down... so I am wondering if it does retract.

I'm not sure either, but I would think it could be part of the window washing apparatus. I imagine the Edge will have some automatic washers and that could be part of it. It looks like it is on a rod and can be repositioned (and maybe can be moved out of the sight of balconies). 12107 is one of the staterooms listed as partially obstructed as is 12188 on the starboard side with a platform (but many of the staterooms next to a bump out are listed as partially obstructed and that holds true for these as well).

This video shows an automatic window washer. It is fun to watch. It's better than having the guys swinging into view on the balconies when you forgot about the memo they left in the cabin. :D

enhance

enhance

I don't think we'll know until November, but these layouts (not from X site) make me wonder if at least the S2's and port/starboard S1's (the S1 layout is for the aft S1's) have a bed that faces the ocean. Who knows? I'm not betting anything on this one...:D

enhance

If you look closer at the layout as it is presented on your cutouts, it seems that ONLY S2 will have the bed facing the window. S3 and S1 (in this configuration) will have no way of placing the bed to face the sea, because the bathroom entrance - as it shown - is located on the wall against the window...

I don't think we'll know until November, but these layouts (not from X site) make me wonder if at least the S2's and port/starboard S1's (the S1 layout is for the aft S1's) have a bed that faces the ocean. Who knows? I'm not betting anything on this one...:D

enhance

What’s most interesting in these layouts is where is the door to the S1 aft suite?

If you look closer at the layout as it is presented on your cutouts, it seems that ONLY S2 will have the bed facing the window. S3 and S1 (in this configuration) will have no way of placing the bed to face the sea, because the bathroom entrance - as it shown - is located on the wall against the window...

Yes, the reason that the beds can't be facing the ocean in these S1 and S3 layouts is because the bathroom door is where the bed would be to face the ocean. These aren't from the X website, but have been on a cruise deck plan website for over a year - maybe they are drafts that ended up in the waste basket. X only shows the bed facing the ocean pictures on their website and all of their literature and reps I have spoken to on the phone say the beds will face the ocean so we will see! It doesn't really matter to me, but it would be cool if it is true. :D

Bathroom door locations:

enhance

Yes, the reason that the beds can't be facing the ocean in these S1 and S3 layouts is because the bathroom door is where the bed would be to face the ocean. These aren't from the X website, but have been on a cruise deck plan website for over a year - maybe they are drafts that ended up in the waste basket. X only shows the bed facing the ocean pictures on their website and all of their literature and reps I have spoken to on the phone say the beds will face the ocean so we will see! It doesn't really matter to me, but it would be cool if it is true. :D

Adding to that, IF the entrance doors to S1 and S3 will be as they are currently shown, i.e. from the "bottom" in your posted layout, there is no way that the doors to the bathroom will be favoring 'sea-face" bed locations. For the bed being placed with headboard to the bathroom wall, the bathroom door has to be on the side of it, which means that it will be DIRECTLY across from the entrance doors in S1 and S3. No one in the industry would design doors in the staterooms like that, hence they had to move the bathroom doors sidewise...

Thanks Marilyn, pretty narrow space between entrance and bathroom to get to the main cabin. Looks like the cabin next door may share an entrance way like the aft corner S1s on Reflection and Silly.

Katie

Yes, it looks like they have the alcove for a connection like S1 Class S1's (also connect at the balconies when panel is opened). For Christmas and New Years sailings the S1 and adjoining SV next door are offered together as a Sky Family Suite with full suite benefits for all.

Picture of balcony connections in the aft - ones with a firewall have a door and ones with regular partition have the part of the partition closest to the rail folding back (in picture below, lower left is a fold back and others have doors in the firewall).

enhance

Adding to that, IF the entrance doors to S1 and S3 will be as they are currently shown, i.e. from the "bottom" in your posted layout, there is no way that the doors to the bathroom will be favoring 'sea-face" bed locations. For the bed being placed with headboard to the bathroom wall, the bathroom door has to be on the side of it, which means that it will be DIRECTLY across from the entrance doors in S1 and S3. No one in the industry would design doors in the staterooms like that, hence they had to move the bathroom doors sidewise...
However, if you look at the actual deck plans of the S3s behind the MC, the outside ones will have beds facing the ocean, while the two innies will not. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It's a carry-over from the old pre-AC days [remember the etymology of 'posh': port out, starboard home through the Suez Canal to catch the few breezes]. The higher the deck, the better the location so the more expensive the cabin. Now AC makes all cabins equally cool, and the higher the deck the rougher the ride – so we are very happy to move at least one deck down to get cabins above and below us. But many cruise ships continue to locate the high-rent cabins right under the pool deck – and get away with it. What really bothers me is when all the suites are on that top deck :eek:

Funnily enough we were looking another cruise line before we booked this cruise and though the price was amazing for a high category cabin / suite they were all underneath the pool deck or outdoor buffet area. WHY?!!!! Seemed stupid to us