Drinks, tips, etc.

sofienummer

Hi everyone! :)

I will be doing my first cruise on the Norwegian Epic in october! Looking forward to it!!! :cool:

I've read a lot of tips, ideas, etc. on this site. What a great site, truly! And I've seen hundreds of videos on YouTube about cruising and specifically the Norwegian Epic.

However, I still have a few questions I hope you can answer for me! :)

1. Are the bars open in the morning/afternoon? I've seen tour videos where the bars are completely empty, but are you allowed to sit there like in the morning to read a book? Or is it only open/avaible after a certain time?

2. Can I order a drink and take it somewhere else with me? Like if I would want to relax at deck 18, can I order a drink from the pool bar and take it with me to deck 18?

3. When you go off the ship and on land, I prefer to have a small snack with me just in case. I was thinking of taking like simple biscuits or something like that with me. Is this allowed? And can I take them with me back on the ship after a port day?

And I understand that people thinks it's rude to grab a complete lunch from the buffet to take with you (you are probably not even allowed), but if I wanted to take a cookie or two; is that allowed? Or is it incredibly rude? Because the last thing I want is to be rude or look rude!

4. I booked an All-Inclusive cruise on Norwegian Epic. So from what I've gathered/read everything from drinks to gratuities is already included in my price.

But is it still the best policy to tip your cabins steward? Or maybe give them a small present or something?

And are indeed all the drinks included? Or are there exceptions to this rule? I've read somewhere that soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are included but speciality coffee is only included on dinner time. What about water and tea? I mostly drink water and tea so I hope that is included 24/7. And for those who have traveled under All-Inclusive already: if you order a drink do they just scan/swipe your card? Or how can they tell the difference between All-Inclusive or not?

5. I know that Norwegian cruise line is known for their freestyle cruising (one of the main reasons I chose this cruise line) but for most things like shows and speciality dining you need to make reservations beforehand. I am a solo cruiser and as much as I love my alone time, I will also try and connect with other solo cruisers, so I will probably go to the solo gathering. But I think my plans can vary/change because of what others will do so I'm not sure if I should make reservations beforehand. I believe all of them can be cancelled? What about the Cirque Dreams?

And my last question is about bowling. I've heard that bowling is 7 dollars per person. But if I wanted to bowl on my own, is this possible? Would it still be 7 dollars? It's probably not something common, to bowl alone and I would probably not do it, but maybe I will! :confused:

Thanks in advance and Happy Father's Day for those celebrating! :D

I just realized I forgot one thing! I don't drink any alcohol, but I do like alcohol free cocktails on occasion! Are those available on the Norwegian Epic?

I assume they have alcohol free cocktails, but I have no idea! And if they do, any recommendations?

1. You can sit almost anywhere to read etc. Not all bars are open all the time (especially when the ship is in port), but that doesn't stop you sitting there.

If you are looking for a bar that will be open then o'Sheehan is your best bet.

2. Yes, you can take your drinks with you. The only thing to watch for is that they don't really like gals on the pool deck, so be careful what you take there. Your idea of taking a drink from the pool deck elsewhere is absolutely fine.

3. Your biggest issue will be regarding what the ports allow you to take off the ship. I don't know the rules, as it isn't something I've ever looked at doing.

4. Many people do tip their room steward. All inclusive does include tips, but many people tip their room steward on top of the standard daily charge.

Water is included in the cruise fare, but not bottled water. I believe that all inclusive includes something like a bottle a day, but other than that it is just tap water, which you can get at any bar. If you want more bottles than are included then you have to pay for it. You should be able to get tea in many places (again, included for everyone), but if you get one from the coffee bar it will be charged.

Whilst all inclusive is new, beverage packages have been around for a long time. Your keycard is marked to show you have it.

5. All reservations can be cancelled or rearranged. The solo gathering (especially on ships like the Epic) is a good place to meet with people, but whether or not you will find people to so to shows or meals with can depend from cruise to cruise. I would book something for later in the week, with the option to rearrange if things work out.

Hope that helps.

I just realized I forgot one thing! I don't drink any alcohol, but I do like alcohol free cocktails on occasion! Are those available on the Norwegian Epic?

I assume they have alcohol free cocktails, but I have no idea! And if they do, any recommendations?

To answer this question, yes they have non alcohol drinks and they are included.

One other point concerning your reservations, as a solo the solo host will arrange seating for you to the major shows. I have never made reservations and it has always worked out, especially as a solo. Many times I would just walk right in.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2. Yes, you can take your drinks with you. The only thing to watch for is that they don't really like gals on the pool deck, so be careful what you take there. Your idea of taking a drink from the pool deck elsewhere is absolutely fine.

The gals are more than welcome on the pool deck. GLASS?....not so much. :')

Bars are open 99% of the day. As long as someone is buying, they will be open. You certainly can take anything to or from anywhere Not a problem!

You can only take "prepackaged" foods OFF the ship. There are stringent laws in each country about bringing meats, veggies/plants, cheese or milk products ashore. Don't do it. You can be fined or imprisoned. They take this seriously. Granola, nabs, chips, cereal, etc...is ok.

Hi everyone! :)

I will be doing my first cruise on the Norwegian Epic in october! Looking forward to it!!! :cool:

I've read a lot of tips, ideas, etc. on this site. What a great site, truly! And I've seen hundreds of videos on YouTube about cruising and specifically the Norwegian Epic.

However, I still have a few questions I hope you can answer for me! :)

1. Are the bars open in the morning/afternoon? I've seen tour videos where the bars are completely empty, but are you allowed to sit there like in the morning to read a book? Or is it only open/avaible after a certain time?

There are many places where you can sit at any time including bars. You will find some venues closed for a variety of reasons but you can always find somewhere to sit and read a book that is quiet.

2. Can I order a drink and take it somewhere else with me? Like if I would want to relax at deck 18, can I order a drink from the pool bar and take it with me to deck 18?

You can take your drinks anywhere you want. Just be careful with glass around places where people might go barefoot.

3. When you go off the ship and on land, I prefer to have a small snack with me just in case. I was thinking of taking like simple biscuits or something like that with me. Is this allowed? And can I take them with me back on the ship after a port day?

And I understand that people thinks it's rude to grab a complete lunch from the buffet to take with you (you are probably not even allowed), but if I wanted to take a cookie or two; is that allowed? Or is it incredibly rude? Because the last thing I want is to be rude or look rude!

Taking food of the ship is generally not allowed. Usually you can take commercially prepared products like granola bars, or dry cereal. Things baked on the ship cannot normally be taken off the ship. Bringing food back on the ship is usually not an issue.

4. I booked an All-Inclusive cruise on Norwegian Epic. So from what I've gathered/read everything from drinks to gratuities is already included in my price.

But is it still the best policy to tip your cabins steward? Or maybe give them a small present or something?

You may tip your steward if you desire, though it is neither required nor expected. Small presents are not a good idea, though some people will tell you that they are perfect. The crew would prefer cash tips.

And are indeed all the drinks included? Or are there exceptions to this rule? I've read somewhere that soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are included but speciality coffee is only included on dinner time. What about water and tea? I mostly drink water and tea so I hope that is included 24/7.

Assuming you have the UBP then all alcoholic drinks costing up to $15 are included. For any over $15 you pay the price difference plus 18%. Water and tea are available all the time, but bottled water is not included in your package. Th ewater on the ship is fine to drink and you may bring a refillable water bottle on board.

And for those who have traveled under All-Inclusive already: if you order a drink do they just scan/swipe your card? Or how can they tell the difference between All-Inclusive or not?

They do swipe your card, and it is coded to indicate that you have the beverage package.

5. I know that Norwegian cruise line is known for their freestyle cruising (one of the main reasons I chose this cruise line) but for most things like shows and speciality dining you need to make reservations beforehand. I am a solo cruiser and as much as I love my alone time, I will also try and connect with other solo cruisers, so I will probably go to the solo gathering. But I think my plans can vary/change because of what others will do so I'm not sure if I should make reservations beforehand. I believe all of them can be cancelled? What about the Cirque Dreams?

You may make reservations ahead of time if you desire but as a solo cruiser it is easy to get into the shows.

And my last question is about bowling. I've heard that bowling is 7 dollars per person. But if I wanted to bowl on my own, is this possible? Would it still be 7 dollars? It's probably not something common, to bowl alone and I would probably not do it, but maybe I will! :confused:

Thanks in advance and Happy Father's Day for those celebrating! :D

You may request virgin versions of almost all adult beverages. There are some that of course do not lend themselves to that such as a martini, but they will make anything without alcohol if it is possible.

Some answers above based on an assumption that you are not splurging for a Haven cabin as a solo.

From the NCL website:

"Children, adolescents and adults are offered unlimited juices, soft drinks and water. You can also refresh yourself at any time because now one bottle of water per person per day is provided in your stateroom for your convenience."

"Enjoy the perfect ending to your meal with your choice of Lavazza speciality coffees, served with our compliments in all our dining venues."

You will notice the policy referred to is UK NCL. Does not apply to US passengers. Take empty water bottles and fill up on board. Wine may be taken on board with $15 corkage fee per bottle.

NCL will continue to whittle down perks until we all have had enough, IMHO.

When is enough , enough? (I don't consider bringing bottled water onboard a perk :mad:)

3. You can take a cookie or 2+ from the buffet. Take what you want back to your cabin or wherever. Sent from my iPad using Forums

So long as the "wherever" is not off the ship. Only sealed, pre-packaged food, such as granola bars, individual packages of cereal, etc are allowed off the ship.

Wow, hi everyone; thank you so much for all your replies!!

Got some very useful information :D

And no I'm not in the Haven, would love to experience it once though! Seems amazing :cool:

I understand that if I want to tip extra it's best to just give them some money. I know the currency on board is dollars, but it is a cruise in Europe, so would the crew be happier with dollars or euros? :confused:

I know a lot of people don't like the new 'All-inclusive' deal. And I understand as a non-alcoholic drinker myself. But the thing I do 'like' about it is that basically everything in my cruise is included so I don't have to worry about that aspect. And for me thankfully, the price difference was very reasonable!

Anyway, thanks for the replies and have a great weekend :)

I understand that if I want to tip extra it's best to just give them some money. I know the currency on board is dollars, but it is a cruise in Europe, so would the crew be happier with dollars or euros? :confused:

Either is fine. They can use both.

I asked recently which they prefer. The answer was that he wasn't too fussed, but a Euro is worth more than a Dollar, so there is a slight preference for those.