Recommendations for Alaska, first-time cruiser

VinceAZ

I'm looking at the 6-day round trip from Seattle in late September. First time on a ship so it seems long enough to get a good feel for it, but short enough that it's ok if I hate it. I'm 47 and am a solo cruiser so I'm approaching it like a trip to Vegas - the room is for sleeping, not hanging out in, so I'm looking at the studio or inside rooms. I thought about an ocean view but it seems I can just go outside for that, and a lot of the available rooms seem to have obstructed views anyway.

This is as far as I've gotten so far. I have family in Seattle so it's an opportunity to visit them before and after as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

We sailed on the Pearl for our Alaska cruise and the Pearl is now our favorite ship since the Wind went away. I am not sure if there are studios on the pearl as they seem to be on the larger ships. It is true you may go topside and enjoy the views. My Dh and I wanted to get our hourly hot adult beverages so we stayed in our cabin leaning over talking to the neighbors occasionally. Alaska was absolutely beautiful. I cannot believe we waited so long to sail there. We booked private excursions in all of the ports from CC recommendations on the Alaska threads.

bring a sweater

bring something like a book or w/e keeps you entertained. I went on this cruise when I was 21 and it was kinda slow for me

buy the unlimited alcohol package if you drink as being bombed is a great way to go

If you do the Alaskan husky excursion, you don't want to sit right behind the dogs as they kick up dog poo in your face. Happened to my dad and sister (who LOVES dogs) and I LOL'ED SO HARD :')

don't poo in your room...it clogs easily. I have clogged so many consecutive toilets in a single bathroom that the entire bathroom had to be closed. :')

As for window vs inside

I strongly prefer the inside cabin when this 2 comparison is made. I like to sleep in, which I do, then inside is the way to go. I like that it is pitch black b/c I can sleep until 12 noon, roll out of the bed, and grab steak at the main dining room. I use my room mainly to sleep and shower.

Windows - So Alaska might be the exception for when I would want a window. (I personally would want a balcony tbh). So little goes on that a window is kinda needed if you plan to stay more than 2 hours awake in your room per day. Windows also help with sea sickness too. But I don't like the whole light seeping into the room even though the blinds are fully closed.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Sounds like you are looking at Sept23 sailing. This will be the last for the season. Expect colder than normal temps etc. If you are prepared for cold and wet, it will be great.

Cruisers who are not prepared for conditions are often the most 😞.

We go to Alaska quite frequently. We chose the 17th sailing as,it is an unusual route for Alaska. We totally love the Pearl

It is our favorite ship. Many public spaces to relax. Have. Or seem her since dry dock. .

I'm looking at the 6-day round trip from Seattle in late September. First time on a ship so it seems long enough to get a good feel for it, but short enough that it's ok if I hate it. I'm 47 and am a solo cruiser so I'm approaching it like a trip to Vegas - the room is for sleeping, not hanging out in, so I'm looking at the studio or inside rooms. I thought about an ocean view but it seems I can just go outside for that, and a lot of the available rooms seem to have obstructed views anyway.

This is as far as I've gotten so far. I have family in Seattle so it's an opportunity to visit them before and after as well.

Pick up Sea bands and chewable Bonine for possible motion sickness. My friend was getting queazy and put on the sea bands and was fine.

If you stop in Skagway, if available take the minibus tour. The nice thing about the minibus was that if you see something interesting on the road the driver can turn around to see it. Our's turned around to see a baby black bear on the side of the road.

In Ketchikan there is a fudge shop behind the buildings across from where the ships dock. It had the best tasting fudge I have ever had and we have great fudge here in Michigan.

In Victoria, Orca tours.

I purchased nite lites that you can plug in or you can just leave the bathroom light on and close the door, the light will eliminate from under the door.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/forever-glo-reg-led-nite-lite-153-set-of-3/1011589839?skuId=11589839&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_lighting_&adpos=1o4&creative=43742656549&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=11589839&adtype=pla_multichannel&product_channel=online&gclid=CMjjraDo19QCFQIFaQodmUcGGg

Have Fun! :cool:

Our first four cruises were Alaska and the west coast. We had inside cabins for both of those as we found we spent so much time outside watching for wildlife when the ship was at sea. Saw lots of whales even on the last cruises of the Alaska season, you just have to be outside a lot and find yourself a good viewing point. On our cruises that was either above the bridge or right at the bow of the ship. I had wrapped up warm and had a good pair of binoculars and spent hours outside whale watching.

If you are going late in the season then take layers that you can add and remove as the weather can be very changeable. Our first Alaska cruise we had lots of sun and little rain, total reverse on the second one and it was the same ports and same time of year.

Great choice for a first cruise

Be ready for a cloudy cold dreary cruise.

I took a solo cruise on the Norwegian Epic on New Year's a few years back. For one person, the studio cabins are amazing! They have nice extra amenities for the single cruisers, as well as lots of activities for folks to meet and get to know one another, if that's your thing. When I cruise with others, I love having a balcony, but for that cruise, and if I sail alone again, the studio was a wonderful choice.