NCL.which freebie to choose

sparkey25

We rarely drink either, plus, in my opinion the gratuities charge on the NCL package is high.

We did not think the $50 excursion credit per port was enough to tempt us. We don't like ship excursions anyway, and $25 pp off wasn't enough to offset that.

We took the dining package and the internet package. Wish we could have had some OBC instead of the internet. It was slow, like normal on cruise ships and often hard to use because of the noise in the Atrium area.

The dining package worked great for us and we enjoyed it. The tips added on were really reasonable. We did not reserve any meals ahead of the cruise and most nights just walked up to a venue and got in right away. We also reserved a time on the phone.

We tend to eat late, so maybe that is why we could just walk in.

The meals were mostly quite good, though not outstanding. Unfortunately two of the four of us had meals that were really bad at the Crown Grill; one was inedible. I rarely say that, but cold, raw fish is inedible.

You do realize that the "freebies" are not free but included in your base cruise fare, right? And with most cruise lines you can choose an option that will show you the base fare without those "freebies" included to then determine if the cost difference is worth the value of the "freebies" offered. Often the difference between the two would have it be better to pay a la carte for the items offered in the increased fare. Might be worth checking.

We rarely drink either, plus, in my opinion the gratuities charge on the NCL package is high.

I rarely say that, but cold, raw fish is inedible.

Most cruise lines charge the same gratuity on the beverage packages as they do with individually purchased drinks, which is typically between 15 - 18%.

And isn't sushi cold, raw fish? :);)

Most cruise lines charge the same gratuity on the beverage packages as they do with individually purchased drinks, which is typically between 15 - 18%.

Since we don't drink, or rarely, I don't pay too much attention to the drink prices, but when I have it seems as if when other lines have the drink package, with tips included, they are still less than NCL's. But, I haven't actually broken it down as no matter how many coffees, smoothies, etc. (if included) I'd order in a week it would never make sense financially.

Yeah, sushi is cold raw fish, but the dish she ordered was supposed to be cooked!

First: There is no Crown Grill on any NCL ship

Second: The NCL beverage package makes sense if you have 3 drinks per day. You can order virgin frozen concoctions as well and those are covered, as well as soft drinks. If you think you can manage that in a day then it is a good deal. There is no limit as on Carnival.

Now for the excursions, if you don't plan on doing any on your own, then of course the excursion credit isn't worth it for you.

I unplug when on vacation so the internet credit is also nothing to get me excited.

Since you don't seem to really want the drink package, why not book the "Sail Away" rate which will be cheaper and then just purchase the dining package on your own for 4 night which which will work out to be about $20 per meal and under the normal cover charge for those restaurants.

Since we don't drink, or rarely, I don't pay too much attention to the drink prices, but when I have it seems as if when other lines have the drink package, with tips included, they are still less than NCL's. But, I haven't actually broken it down as no matter how many coffees, smoothies, etc. (if included) I'd order in a week it would never make sense financially.

Yeah, sushi is cold raw fish, but the dish she ordered was supposed to be cooked!

Agree with your drink comments - just suggesting that the gratuity is likely similar with other lines and is the same charged on individual drinks as with the packages. But we never buy the packages either.

I assumed as well that you meant the fish was was not intended to be sushi. :D I hope you at least sent it back!

I think the difference in gratuities is that NCL has a much higher priced beverage package (since those who use it get it as an included perk) therefore the gratuities paid on the "value" of the package is higher than another line that values their package at only $50-60/day rather than $80-90

I think the difference in gratuities is that NCL has a much higher priced beverage package (since those who use it get it as an included perk) therefore the gratuities paid on the "value" of the package is higher than another line that values their package at only $50-60/day rather than $80-90

Got it - so likely the same % rate but higher impact to the base cost. As a side note, $80 - $90 is really steep and pushing the limit IMO. Unfortunately since RCI tends to follow NCL, that may be a look at their future as well.....

• 3 weeks later...
We r not big drinkers..wondering how dining option works...cruise line port excursions seem pricey with only $50 per port discount...

On my last sailing with NCL I chose the Free At Sea Dining option and LOVED it! I always eat at Cagney's so it was nice to have that taken care of and then be able to try out 2 new restaurants I'd never been to (Teppanyaki and La Cucina).