"If only I'd brought..."

le4ne

Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream... You never know when you will have a random allergic reaction to something. Once a cruise I always end up with my face and eyes swelling and a crazy rash. I think I may have figured out that it is cross contamination with lobster, may have to tell them I have a seafood/lobster allergy next time! Also extra sunglasses, forgot to bring any once and the only ones I could find did not fit right and gave me a terrible headache. Dryer sheets to keep dirty laundry from smelling too bad!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

• 7 months later...
Thermal coffee mugs w/lids for bringing coffee back to cabin .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring a mug to make my own ice tea (I have to brew it with the green tea bags; black tea upsets my tummy)....ice cold water on deck so I don't dehydrate!

Now that we have done drink packages the last 5 cruises this seems less important...

"The electrical plug-in with multiple outlets. Think about it. Plugs in a cabin are few. And you have hearing aids, iPad, computer, camera battery, electric toothbrush, your own electric clock, battery operated travel phone, maybe a rechargeable flashlight, and various other items with rechargeable batteries. I don't take a walkie-talkie, but some folks do. A power strip is invaluable and will get a lot of use."

OH MY GOODNESS! I guess if one carries THIS many electronic items (or teens...), they MIGHT need a strip! We have iphones & an ipad. (charge phones at night & iPad during the day) We have never lacked for plugs (btw, there is also a plug in all bathrooms, so ALL rooms have at least 4 plugs to use. My phone is my alarm clock. Why would I need a rechargeable flashlight? It's for an emergency, right? Now, I am a minimalist when it comes to packing...(tho I do carry a small battery operated flashlight for emergencies...it was DARK when we have stayed in interior cabins)

Over the door thing--yep, brought it a couple times & never needed it. I have never lacked for enough storage space on any cruise...

Ear plus--when you sleep with a man who snores, they are a must EVERYWHERE.

Luggage scale--I do appreciate this (tho I think I have gotten so good at packing, I don't really need it anymore...)

Edited by KKB

First timers: To respond to folks that rely on their phone for their alarm clock, be aware of ship time may not be same time as your phone. Wear a watch as all events are timed usually to the minute and make sure it is on ship time. I was on a 7 day cruise and we changed times 3 times. As for putting food in baggie to take ashore, I have found ship will confiscate all food items going ashore and upon return exception is water. A power strip is a must if you have a bunch of electronics to charge. But be aware you must pack in checked luggage as I have seen quite a few on the "naughty table" on debarkation. I love my walkie talkie on cruise. Keeps from having to meet up at certain times. Also like door magnet (as I can locate my cabin a lot easier). If you get one with erase board you can post where you are for other travel companions. As for magnet, I carry a clip one for the room to put up invitations, weekly calendar, reservations. I bring my own blow dryer as the dryers on ship you have to hold the button down at all times to dry hair. Bring all sundries as purchase on ship(if they even have what you want) can be triple the price.

Remember no matter how much clothes you pack you will wear half (except for underwear) heh heh. I have been on more than 100 cruises and still overpack, but getting better. Ladies, I pack a small Plastic makeup compartment tray to have my make up in one spot on desk area. I also have a small hanging shower caddy (with a couple of loops on top) to hold razors soaps in shower stall wall. I also bought luggage that collapses down to be able to put under bed (Baggi). As for dirty clothes I bring a large lightweight bag which I hang in closet to put them in. If you have a large plastic bag that you can take all the air out it is great for dirty clothes (clean clothes also) as saves lots of space in suitcase. I have seen them in the Dollar stores. Ladies, no matter what time of year bring a sweater or shawl as nights can get cool in the restaurants etc.

First time cruiser, a great thing to do is be on the Roll Call so you can meet up with other cruisers just to get your feet wet. It depends on the ship but they sometimes have "giveaways" . Also I have been on one that had a cabin crawl, which is a few people with different cabin types will go after the meeting to view their staterooms. If you have not been on a ship it is nice to see different cabin types.

Check the board which is usually located at the Pursers Desk (Information Desk) for other cruisers looking for "card and game partners" and other like minded people to get together for different things. You might check daily as there are things added.

You must keep the daily calendar of events handy at all times to check what is going on and what time, also dress of the day for evening.

I am a person that dresses for evening and being formal (black will do) on formal night. After being in bathing suit all day it is nice to dress up...but that is just me.

Also most cruises have a 70's night or disco night, or everybody wear white night party, and various themes so if you can find out in advance, this is a great time to bring something to go along with the event. Think wigs...Also if your on a holiday cruise (Christmas, New Years, Halloween, Easter etc) bring clothes accordingly. This is the time to throw caution to the wind and bring out those silver spandex pants and just have fun.

. I also have a small hanging shower caddy (with a couple of loops on top) to hold razors soaps in shower stall wal

Would be interested to see a photo of this. I've never seen anything that would cope with getting wet! but a brilliant idea.

Would be interested to see a photo of this. I've never seen anything that would cope with getting wet! but a brilliant idea.

I don't have a picture but they are called "mesh travel shower caddy" which I have found on Amazon and other Travel accessories sites. They are different kinds, if fact I just saw one better than the one I have. Just google this and I am sure you can locate one

I will take a "walkie talkie" just to listen and chuckle at others trying to communicate clearly with the devices. Just reading someone uses the radios to communicate made me chuckle. The local golf course uses GMRS radios (technically not legal) which has some interesting chatter between cart girls.

The only time I have used the devices to communicate on a cruise was during an Alaskan hike when cell service was non existent.

Read the GMRS laws. They well could have a permit.

We’ve used FRS/GMRS combo radios with decent success.

No GMRS license for a business such as the local golf course. Those channels are reserved for individuals to use. I have my GMRS license. No license is required for the FRS channels.

Here are a few of mine:

Backpack - because I prefer to be hands free while on excursions. A lightweight Jansport is perfect for my needs.

Light jacket - Seriously. I ignored this on our first cruise because it was Caribbean in the middle of summer. Take a light jacket or sweater.

Advil - for obvious reasons. Or whatever your fave headache medicine. And any other otc meds you commonly need.

Power strip - NOT a surge protector.

Trash bag(s) or some other bag to bring dirty clothes back in.

... Only what will fit into a single carry-on.

I haven't checked luggage in over a decade, and the only thing I checked was a child's safety seat, since there were no guarantees I could get one where we were going. Otherwise, anything beyond a carry-on slows you down like crazy, especially on international flights. Unless you're going off-grid, there are usually pharmacies and shops where you can pick up whatever you need, including at the airport. Even if the prices are higher, you have to factor in the value of your vacation time waiting for your checked bags and extra baggage fees.

So: passport, wallet, smartphone, essential toiletries (e.g., glasses/contacts, prescription drugs), a little black dress, a cold weather outfit, a warm weather outfit, a couple pieces for layering, appropriate outerwear and a fine scarf or necklace to dress it up. Best if everything can be mixed-and-matched.

Lol, I forgot to even bring the above when we went to England for a week earlier this year! I was in such a rush due to last-minute work details I left half the clothing I intended to take in the dryer. Other than the clothes on my back, I only had underthings, 1 pair of capris, a dress and 2 light sweaters in my suitcase. It was OK, I got the hotel to do some laundry and bought a shirt. But when the weather turned cold, I had to put on most of my wardrobe!

The more you bring the more you have to keep track of. Mostly I worry about passports, phone, wallet, glasses and children. The rest should be optional / dispensable, and DH can take care of himself. :)

A question to all you experienced cruisers out there...

What one thing do you always ensure you pack?

You've got your documents, tickets, passport, camera, sun cream, night cream, stuffed toy, valium, clown-repellant, superhero underwear, a map of Bulgaria (even though you're not going there but it was in the glove box so you packed it just in case), shoes, and all the clothing you'll need...

What is that little item that you take that has proven useful that you'd wished you'd thought of taking with you when you were new to cruising?

I've heard some people mention they must have magnets... is there any other cruise hacks you can share?

Thanks,

Leane

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!

I wish I brought my portable radio

Lanyards to carry your room/charge card. We thought we would get them for free. That wasn't the case: bringing our own saved us about $14 ($6.99 each). If you want to get one with the cruise ship logo on it for souvenir then that's fine.

I will take a "walkie talkie" just to listen and chuckle at others trying to communicate clearly with the devices. Just reading someone uses the radios to communicate made me chuckle.

New cruisers should be made aware that portable radios do not work inside the ship. On the outer decks you may be able to communicate, but inside the ship the radio wave propogation is very poor due the number of steel bulkheads. In my experience of 40 years at sea, the UHF frequencies were better than the marine band VHF frequencies, but they were still useless.

Even with commercial dual band portable VHF/UHF radios (about $900 each), to communicate effectively throughout the ship, we required a repeater system, which had numerous receivers and transmitters throughout the ship.

I second the Duct Tape idea. Our wheel came off of the corner of one of the suitcases. My darling husband was able to duct tape the plastic corner which held the wheel. Looked tacky (we didn't care), but it worked and we were able to roll the suitcase through Venice and Airport. Much better than lugging a 50 pounder around for half the day! :-)

Sprained my ankle one time,did a couple of wraps with the duct tape and kept on going.

New cruisers should be made aware that portable radios do not work inside the ship. On the outer decks you may be able to communicate, but inside the ship the radio wave propogation is very poor due the number of steel bulkheads. In my experience of 40 years at sea, the UHF frequencies were better than the marine band VHF frequencies, but they were still useless.

Even with commercial dual band portable VHF/UHF radios (about $900 each), to communicate effectively throughout the ship, we required a repeater system, which had numerous receivers and transmitters throughout the ship.

Haha, it sounds like you have to go old-fashioned on a cruise ship. I've read people saying "bring sticky notes and pens" so you can leave messages for your cabin mates. Maybe another alternative is to get a chalkboard or whiteboard vinyl sticker and use it to write messages to each other (and the cabin steward??). Amazon has them for about $5 to 10 and they come off easily, leaving no marks.

Would the Cruise Ship protest anything on their walls, though?

Haha, it sounds like you have to go old-fashioned on a cruise ship. I've read people saying "bring sticky notes and pens" so you can leave messages for your cabin mates. Maybe another alternative is to get a chalkboard or whiteboard vinyl sticker and use it to write messages to each other (and the cabin steward??). Amazon has them for about $5 to 10 and they come off easily, leaving no marks.

Would the Cruise Ship protest anything on their walls, though?

Some ships prohibit anything being attached to the walls with tape or magnets and some ships prohibit over the door shoe hangers.

A simpler approach is to buy the wifi plans if you need to be in communication with your party throughout the day instead of trying to use the GMRS radios in a Faraday cage.