Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

I did ask Quinton if the vehicle could hold seven, and as Charles said, our seventh will ride shotgun. That is good because I also asked if the vehicle could handle a group with a larger man, and that is who will ride shotgun.

Boarding tomorrow; woot!:ship::)

Off the Anthem and reporting back on Quinton Bean, with whom we toured on Aug. 6.

He was delightful. Quinton has been a tour guide for 48 years and is full of love for his home island, and was able to answer every question we had and ones we didn't know we had. As has also been mentioned, I think he knows personally every single person on the island.

We wanted a tour of the highlights, and we saw Fort Scaur, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, Hamilton, St. George's, with stops at scenic outposts along the way. Lunch at a local spot right next to the ocean with stale bread to feed the fish and codcakes and hoppin' john to feed ourselves. Although we wanted to see historical and scenic spots, Quinton will take you to what you want to see, aquarium, caves, whatever. On our way back to the ship, he stopped a three different beaches so we could determine where we might want to go the next day.

The cost was $70 an hour for seven people, on riding up front in a passenger van. The vehicle was comfortable and well air conditioned.

Highly recommended.

We found a tour from the ship that does the caves, Tom Moore’s Jungle, ice cream, and I forgot what else.

It was over $200/person. We’ve reserved a Twizy, and are basically doing our own version of the tour at our own pace, and for much cheaper.

Here’s to us both finding luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following up.........what was your experience like with the Twizy? Were you able to see everything you wanted to? We have one booked for October but I am still undecided if it is better to go with a guide, or keep the Twizy and discover the island on our own. My main concern is trying to figure out the best route so that we are not backtracking and wasting time trying to cram everything into one day.

Following up.........what was your experience like with the Twizy? Were you able to see everything you wanted to? We have one booked for October but I am still undecided if it is better to go with a guide, or keep the Twizy and discover the island on our own. My main concern is trying to figure out the best route so that we are not backtracking and wasting time trying to cram everything into one day.

This may not answer your questions, but you should read the thread titled Ok we rented the Twizy and loved it!.

SBtS

Off the Anthem and reporting back on Quinton Bean, with whom we toured on Aug. 6.

He was delightful. Quinton has been a tour guide for 48 years and is full of love for his home island, and was able to answer every question we had and ones we didn't know we had. As has also been mentioned, I think he knows personally every single person on the island.

We wanted a tour of the highlights, and we saw Fort Scaur, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, Hamilton, St. George's, with stops at scenic outposts along the way. Lunch at a local spot right next to the ocean with stale bread to feed the fish and codcakes and hoppin' john to feed ourselves. Although we wanted to see historical and scenic spots, Quinton will take you to what you want to see, aquarium, caves, whatever. On our way back to the ship, he stopped a three different beaches so we could determine where we might want to go the next day.

The cost was $70 an hour for seven people, on riding up front in a passenger van. The vehicle was comfortable and well air conditioned.

Highly recommended.

Thank you so much!!! We have Quinton booked fro our visit in November !!!!!

Thank you so much!!! We have Quinton booked fro our visit in November !!!!!

You’re welcome; I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

One word to the wise: everything in Bermuda is expensive including local fish joints. Budget more for lunch than you might for a similar meal in the states. The view is worth it:D

Can someone help me get a better picture as to the sites and benefits of maybe ya doing a private tour one of the days there. We have done Bermuda in the past for three days and did st. George and the fort, the lighthouse, elbow and horseshoe. My son still speak of the time at the fort to this day. I wonder if all the construction by fort Catherine finished by now with I think new homes or hotel they were building. It was back in July 2017. Where would a private tour take us outside of the above that people have done and would highly recommend?

Appreciate it

Can someone help me get a better picture as to the sites and benefits of maybe ya doing a private tour one of the days there. We have done Bermuda in the past for three days and did st. George and the fort, the lighthouse, elbow and horseshoe. My son still speak of the time at the fort to this day. I wonder if all the construction by fort Catherine finished by now with I think new homes or hotel they were building. It was back in July 2017. Where would a private tour take us outside of the above that people have done and would highly recommend?

Appreciate it

This would be a question that the guide you want to hire should be able the answer.

I would have no idea, because I have been to Bermuda exactly twice, (well two days, so three days total this last cruise) and I don't know what I don't know. But if you look at the different reviews and recommendations, the guides all have email and you should email them exactly that: what are you going to show me that I haven't seen.

For example, Quinton showed us a cemetery and told us how they work and took us to a house where we could see how Bermudians build roofs and cisterns to collect drinking water. You may already know this or not care; I found it fascinating.

So my best advice would be write and ask:)

This would be a question that the guide you want to hire should be able the answer.

I would have no idea, because I have been to Bermuda exactly twice, (well two days, so three days total this last cruise) and I don't know what I don't know. But if you look at the different reviews and recommendations, the guides all have email and you should email them exactly that: what are you going to show me that I haven't seen.

For example, Quinton showed us a cemetery and told us how they work and took us to a house where we could see how Bermudians build roofs and cisterns to collect drinking water. You may already know this or not care; I found it fascinating.

So my best advice would be write and ask:)

Thanks for the tips👍

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise last Thursday. We used Quinton Bean as our tour guide last week. I would recommend him over and over again. So polite, knowledgeable, and personable too! His van seats one up front, three in the middle, and 2 in the back. It's a bit of a tight squeeze, but definitely doable. He was waiting for us with a sign with my family name. He took us a couple of places we wanted to go and then he took a couple of small detours to show us some other things as well. Definitely worth the private guide. Oh and the AC in the van was worth it LOL!

We just returned from our cruise last Thursday. We used Quinton Bean as our tour guide last week. I would recommend him over and over again. So polite, knowledgeable, and personable too! His van seats one up front, three in the middle, and 2 in the back. It's a bit of a tight squeeze, but definitely doable. He was waiting for us with a sign with my family name. He took us a couple of places we wanted to go and then he took a couple of small detours to show us some other things as well. Definitely worth the private guide. Oh and the AC in the van was worth it LOL!

I'm so glad you liked it; I can't imagine anyone not fully enjoying a tour with Quinton, he's worth every cent.(y)

And it was sooooo hot when we there and that AC full blast was sooooo welcome:cool:

• 1 month later...

We went with a gentlemen named Dennis.  I don’t have his number handy but if you check the Bermuda boards it should come up.  We enjoyed our private tour. He took us all around the island and it was less costly.  Good luck enjoy. Presently on cruise ship in curaçao.  

21 minutes ago, chelmsford26 said:

We went with a gentlemen named Dennis.  I don’t have his number handy but if you check the Bermuda boards it should come up.  We enjoyed our private tour. He took us all around the island and it was less costly.  Good luck enjoy. Presently on cruise ship in curaçao.  

If it was Dennis Hollis, he passed away in June. 

We were a group of four touring with Quinton Bean last week and everybody thought the tour was great.  Quinton was a fine gentleman that was very knowledgable and accommodating.  I can't say enough good things about him.  $50 an hour for four people.  We didn't have to pay a deposit - just cash at the end.  It was $50 hr for 1-4 people and $70 hr for 5-7 people.  I highly recommend Quinton.  Quianreu@logic.bm    www.bermudayp.com  441-335-4689 cell phone  

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, there is a wealth of information here.  I read through the last 6 or 8 pages and contacted several of the folks mentioned.  I have heard back from Heidi and decided to go ahead and book with her for our trip next year.  I will report on the experience after the trip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 9:13 PM, ArtsyChic said:

Appreciate it

The construction at Ft St Catherine was nowhere near done in November 2018.    There are other forts and other lighthouses (other than Gibbs Lighthouse) and other things to see in Bermuda.  There is a fort in Hamilton, there is the lighthouse in St. David, and you can tour the Maritime Museum which is right there at the Dockyard without a guide.  You might like the Caves, and I always go to the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) in the Flats. 

The beginning of this blog is a list of the places in Bermuda

The Nine Tribes of Bermuda

Hi. I'm wondering if someone might have a suggestion for a tour/beach day for eight people. My mom has COPD and will probably have a transport wheelchair. Alternatively, if someone knows of a beach resort that sells day passes. I tried resort for a day but the only one they show is Elbow Beach Resort and that's shown as sold out since April of this year. Our cruise is April 2019. Maybe they just don't open up slots so early? Any way... any help would be appreciated.

14 minutes ago, naz022292 said:

Hi. I'm wondering if someone might have a suggestion for a tour/beach day for eight people. My mom has COPD and will probably have a transport wheelchair. Alternatively, if someone knows of a beach resort that sells day passes. I tried resort for a day but the only one they show is Elbow Beach Resort and that's shown as sold out since April of this year. Our cruise is April 2019. Maybe they just don't open up slots so early? Any way... any help would be appreciated.

April is not the best time for the beach, water will be on the chilly side for most people and the air temp will be pleasant but about mid 70. Not prime beach weather then. Bermuda locals don't consider the beach season to begin until the end of May.  For eight you can get to Horseshoe Bay in a minibus. For island tours there are minibuses that can do private tours for eight or run tours that have room for eight. As for Resorts for a Day, I think it is too early for the 2019 season reservations to show up for both Elbow Beach and Coco Reef. 

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

April is not the best time for the beach, water will be on the chilly side for most people and the air temp will be pleasant but about mid 70. Not prime beach weather then. Bermuda locals don't consider the beach season to begin until the end of May.  For eight you can get to Horseshoe Bay in a minibus. For island tours there are minibuses that can do private tours for eight or run tours that have room for eight. As for Resorts for a Day, I think it is too early for the 2019 season reservations to show up for both Elbow Beach and Coco Reef. 

Thanks for your help! We are just looking for something that is easy and worry free. My mom won't be able to walk far so we'll be bringing a portable wheelchair. I was thinking that a resort would assure she is comfortable, under an umbrella, etc... 70 isn't perfect beach weather, but we would like to at least see the world famous pink sand!