Getting a cab in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier

mom02

I've been trying to line up a couple of cabs for my family of 9 while we're in Juneau and have gotten some conflicting information from the cab company about fees charged by the US Forest Service for Mendenhall Glacier.

From what I understand from the USFS website, the parking area is free, so the cab should not be charged for dropping us off or picking us up. However, the cab company is saying "The $2.00 per person USFS fee is charged upon entrance to all who visit the Mendenhall Glacier from ages 0-100+." He said the driver needs to collect the $2/pp fee (even for my 3 & 6 yr olds).

I've left a message with the park ranger and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I wanted to ask other cruisers for their experience with taking a cab to Mendenhall Glacier. Did anyone else come across this? :confused:

Wrong! Sounds like a scam to me.... In the first place, the cost to visit is $5, not $2 and that is for anyone 16 or older. They also accept any federal land pass, so if Gramps or Grams has a senior park pass you can get in free. If anyone in your group is 62+ they should get a $10 national park pass before coming to Alaska. It's good at the SE Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan, Mendenhall visitor center, gets you $10 back off your Denali bus trip, etc.

I know in the past, there have been commercial fees involved, so that could be accurate. The 2 cab companies I have used are Capital and Evergreen. Both long time vendor, who I would recommend you call and see what can be offered. then compare. Who are you contacting? There could be fees involved with a bigger vehicle that the company is charging.

I know in the past, there have been commercial fees involved, so that could be accurate. The 2 cab companies I have used are Capital and Evergreen. Both long time vendor, who I would recommend you call and see what can be offered. then compare. Who are you contacting? There could be fees involved with a bigger vehicle that the company is charging.

I was emailing with Evergreen. They didn't specify what kind of vehicles they were trying to set us up with, but they did say in their email that it was a US Forest Service fee. Maybe when I hear back from the park ranger they can clarify if there's a fee they charge commercial vehicles in addition to what's on their website.

Why not use the shuttle that runs from the pier to glacier return every 30 minutes.

The shuttles are $30 r/t per person. With our family of 9, that would almost $150 more expensive than getting 2 cabs

I was emailing with Evergreen. They didn't specify what kind of vehicles they were trying to set us up with, but they did say in their email that it was a US Forest Service fee. Maybe when I hear back from the park ranger they can clarify if there's a fee they charge commercial vehicles in addition to what's on their website.

The shuttles are $30 r/t per person. With our family of 9, that would almost $150 more expensive than getting 2 cabs

Have you considered rental cars? I wonder what that would cost compared to the shuttle and cab. Someone mentioned about $50 for the day.

Wrong! Sounds like a scam to me.... In the first place, the cost to visit is $5, not $2 and that is for anyone 16 or older. They also accept any federal land pass, so if Gramps or Grams has a senior park pass you can get in free. If anyone in your group is 62+ they should get a $10 national park pass before coming to Alaska. It's good at the SE Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan, Mendenhall visitor center, gets you $10 back off your Denali bus trip, etc.

Yes! And it was someone here on Cruise Critic that let us know about the Senior Pass for USDA parks. (Thank you!) My parents are both seniors, so their passes gets them plus 3 more adults in for free. That's 8 out of 9 of us. And our kids are all under 16, so we should all be able to get in for free. I don't know what fee the cab company is referring to...

I received a similar email from Evergreen also. They told me the "US Forest Fee" is a $7 per person fee (over 16) and $2 under the age of 16. They said the driver needs to collect it from me in addition to the fare? We sail early June and even with paying the fee it's still way cheaper than the shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums56263ae0a695d874cabef8a0a7a0aadb.jpg

Edited by FlaMommy75
Adding photo of email

Also , Evergreen was going to pick us up at 7:30am at the dock and then pick us back up at 9:30am. Do u think that is enough time? The cab company said yes but I wasn't sure .. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got the same email from evergreen as well. I am hoping to spend between 3-4 hrs when we go in july to walk the different trails. I am aiming to go around 9

The last time we went to Mendenhall Glacier we hiked (I use that term loosely) to Nugget Falls...in the rain...with a stroller & reluctant preschooler and we spent almost 2 hours total at the park. If the weather was better we probably would've spent even more time there and explored the visitor center and other trails. I think how much time needed depends on what trails you take, how fast you plan to walk/hike or if you want time for the visitor center.

I take comfort knowing I wasn't the only one told by Evergreen about the fee. I haven't heard back from the park ranger yet, but will follow up tomorrow and post what they say.

My experience has been that there is no fee to walk from the parking lot out to the glacier viewing areas, but there is a fee to use the visitor's center. EM

This hasn't been true since last season. There is now a fee.

Have you considered rental cars? I wonder what that would cost compared to the shuttle and cab. Someone mentioned about $50 for the day.

this isn't accurate. $70++++ is the range.

IF you get a cheaper car at the airport, AND have to take a cab- it's at least a $50 round trip ride, or a wait for a once/hour bus. Far more convenient for downtown/dock pick up with either Juneau Car rental, or Avis. (and some may still need cabs, if they aren't at AJ dock or walking a mile++

The last time we went to Mendenhall Glacier we hiked (I use that term loosely) to Nugget Falls...in the rain...with a stroller & reluctant preschooler and we spent almost 2 hours total at the park. If the weather was better we probably would've spent even more time there and explored the visitor center and other trails. I think how much time needed depends on what trails you take, how fast you plan to walk/hike or if you want time for the visitor center.

I take comfort knowing I wasn't the only one told by Evergreen about the fee. I haven't heard back from the park ranger yet, but will follow up tomorrow and post what they say.

Thanks so much!:)

Spoke with Jesse from the park and she confirmed the $2/pp fee that the cabs need to collect is separate from the $5/pp daily fee on their website. The $2/pp is a permit fee that is charged to all commercial operators that take visitors to the park. Whereas some companies like the blue or white shuttle buses include the $2 permit fee and the $5 daily fee in their $30 price, the cab companies cannot because they run on a meter. So they collect these fees separately.

If you have the Senior Pass or Season Pass, you will need to have your card with you to show the cab driver. The pass covers only the daily fee listed on the website. You will still need to pay the cab driver $2/pp to cover the permit fee.

I hope this helps clarify how the fees are charged. :)

I have a related question. What if I only need a taxi to pick us up once we are finished? Do we still have to pay the $2 fee per person?

That's a good question..:confused: My guess is yes if they are going to pick you up in the parking lot area, but I would contact the cab company directly to confirm.

As I mentioned back in my earlier post, it is verified there are commercial fees. (which have been in place for years) There is no cab line at Mendenhall and cabs need to be called. You could chase after a dropping off cab I suppose, but I would assume that the fee will be charged for a pick up. A simple call will confirm the information. I'd be sure to also ask about getting a pick up without calling.

This is a long tread over $2. I'm certainly glad , with the vendor's name mentioned, that it is now known as accurate information This vendor has been in business for probably 20 years++ I've had good service from both them and Capital several times.

Why not use the shuttle that runs from the pier to glacier return every 30 minutes.

My information states this includes the fee as I understand it. Can anyone verify this?

We booked these in March and got a discount since we were over a group of 6. I think it came out to around $28 pp

My information states this includes the fee as I understand it. Can anyone verify this?

We booked these in March and got a discount since we were over a group of 6. I think it came out to around $28 pp

Call and verify what you purchased directly with the vendor.

Do you know how much this costs? Or where I can find more information on the shuttle? Thank you

$30 rt and it includes the fees to see the glacier and the visitor center. (I just called today to verify) You spend as much time as you like rather than held to an hour through the cruise line. I booked through Juneau Tours online. Enjoy!