Close Loop Cruise From U.S. Visa Requirements

Crusegoer

So, I have been looking to find some info on this question. Here is the background info:

I am traveling with a friend who is from Brazil. They have a Tourist Visa to visit the U.S.. We were invited to go on a cruise that is close looped. Meaning it starts in the U.S. and ends in the U.S., however there is a single stop for 8 hours in Canada.

We have been trying to find out if they will be able to get on the cruise without a Canadian tourist visa. They said they will not exit the ship.

If you look on the U.S. border patrol website it only says the following "If you are not a U.S. citizen or a U.S. LPR, you will need a passport and/or the appropriate documentation based on the status you are seeking in the U.S. for any type of cruise, closed loop or not."

I'm not exactly sure what this means. It seems that this would mean that she can go on the cruise. At least from the U.S. side's perspective. Since she has a visa to enter the U.S..

However, I have not been able to find any info on what the Canadian rule is. Also, I'm not sure it would even matter. Considering she would never have to get off the ship and interact with the Canadian border patrol.

The only thing I can think of. Is the cruise like itself may not let her of the ship. The reasoning I can think of that they would not allow this. Is that if she was to get injured and had to be taken off of the ship into a Canadian hospital. She would not have a visa to do so. I'm not sure what the protocol is at that point.

Again, I have done a bunch of searches and have not been able to find a definitive answer. On if they would be let on the cruise. It is a close looped cruise from the U.S. and they have a U.S. visa. They would not get off the ship in Canada. I've called the cruise line and the only answer I could get was "we do not comment on if they would be let on the cruise." Not helpful at all considering they are the ones that are going to be giving us a yes or no answer....

Sidenote: I'm kinda pissed that the cruise line can't tell us if they will let someone on or not. This should be something they can inform you on... How are you not going to know beforehand if someone will be let on. Yet when they arrive you will know at that point....

Whatever she needs to visit the US has no bearing on what she needs for Canada. You need to research what a person traveling on a Brazilian passport needs to visit Canada. Closed loop has no relevance. Make sure her tourist visa for the US allows her to leave and reenter the US. EM

Even if she isn't going to leave the ship in Canada?

That doesn't make sense to me, because why would customs and border patrol in a country matter. If you are never going to get off the ship and interact with them?

Even if she isn't going to leave the ship in Canada? ... That doesn't make sense to me, because why would customs and border patrol in a country matter. If you are never going to get off the ship and interact with them?

Passengers are cleared by Canadian authorities before they even get off the ship. The passenger manifest is sent to them before they dock in Victoria or Vancouver, whichever Canadian city you are speaking of. The guests are pre-cleared so they do not have to do it once they dock. It takes much less time this way and is faster and more efficient.

Whether a person is planning to get off the ship or not is not important; if your friend does not have the appropriate documentation (whatever that is, and I do not pretend to know) she will not even be permitted to check in and board on Day 1.

Even if she isn't going to leave the ship in Canada?

That doesn't make sense to me, because why would customs and border patrol in a country matter. If you are never going to get off the ship and interact with them?

She will still have entered Canada,

She will still have entered Canada,

Does her US tourist visa allow multiple entries? EM

This and this (and what Langley Cruisers said). When you are in port in a country you are in that country, even if you don't go ashore. I would find out if your friend needs a visa to visit Canada on a land vacation. If that is a yes then I'd recommend they get a visa for a cruise.

Just curious - what cruise line? Most do have the ability to confirm documentation requirements for their itineraries, at least if it is US based regarding guidelines for US v non-US citizens.

As others have said, even if you do not get off the ship you will be in Canada at that port of call, so whatever the entrance requirements are for Canada would apply.

Does your friend have a Passport? Maybe I'm incorrect, but I would think that would be all that would be needed for a closed loop US itinerary - or am I missing something?

Does your friend have a Passport? Maybe I'm incorrect, but I would think that would be all that would be needed for a closed loop US itinerary - or am I missing something?

Yes - the "closed loop" itinerary rules are irrelevant to a non-U.S. passport holder. The OP's friend is carrying a Brazilian passport and traveling on a tourist visa to the U.S. If Canada requires a Brazilian passport holder to obtain a tourist visa before entering Canada (and to reiterate, he/she WILL be entering Canada whether getting off the ship or not), then a Canadian visa is necessary to board the ship. It will be much simpler for the Brazilian visitor to obtain the Canadian visa prior to leaving Brazil.

Consider - a US citizen needs a visa to enter Brazil. A Brazilian citizen needs a visa to enter the US. I would be very surprised if the same reciprocal requirements did not apply to Canada/Brazil.

Yes - the "closed loop" itinerary rules are irrelevant to a non-U.S. passport holder. The OP's friend is carrying a Brazilian passport and traveling on a tourist visa to the U.S. If Canada requires a Brazilian passport holder to obtain a tourist visa before entering Canada (and to reiterate, he/she WILL be entering Canada whether getting off the ship or not), then a Canadian visa is necessary to board the ship. It will be much simpler for the Brazilian visitor to obtain the Canadian visa prior to leaving Brazil.

Consider - a US citizen needs a visa to enter Brazil. A Brazilian citizen needs a visa to enter the US. I would be very surprised if the same reciprocal requirements did not apply to Canada/Brazil.

I appreciate the insight. I guess my shortfall was not recognizing the visa requirements regarding her Brazilian friend thinking her Passport would suffice.

I appreciate the insight. I guess my shortfall was not recognizing the visa requirements regarding her Brazilian friend thinking her Passport would suffice.

That's very understandable. These visa questions are often more complicated than one might think. Plus visa requirements change frequently. What was true last year or last month might not be true today. Here on CC we tend to focus on US/Canadian citizens - researching visa issues for citizens of other nations is even more problematic.