View of the ships..

HodgeNNicole

I know this has probably been asked before....

What are the best hotels to watch the ships come in from. We are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in May coming in the day before. Not only are we early risers but we are from the West Coast so with the time difference we should be up early and would like to be able to see the ships come into the port.

Any suggestions on Hotels to be able to watch this??

None of the hotels along 17th really have great views of the arriving ships. We've stayed in the Embassy and we had a very high floor (cost extra) and we could see a few ships at dock but could not actually see the ships coming in.

If you really want to see the ships arrive, get a room at the Lago Mar. You have a short walk down the beach to the channel linking the port to the sea.

Here's a map of the port. You can zoom in and see individual hotels and make up your own mind about the options.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/port+everglades/@26.0969961,-80.1210734,15.5z

Here's a video taken from the beach area near the Lago Mar showing the ships arriving.

The Lago is a very nice hotel but it is rather isolated. You're pretty much stuck there unless you have a car or pay a fare.

Anothe option is to walk out on the bridge shown on the map.

Not only are we early risers but we are from the West Coast so with the time difference we should be up early and would like to be able to see the ships come into the port.

Wouldn't the opposite be true? 6 AM in Florida = 3 AM on the west coast.

None of the hotels along 17th really have great views of the arriving ships. We've stayed in the Embassy and we had a very high floor (cost extra) and we could see a few ships at dock but could not actually see the ships coming in.

Were you on the east side of the Embassy Suites? You can see the entrance channel and beyond. Have stayed in top floor east rooms a couple of times.

Were you on the east side of the Embassy Suites? You can see the entrance channel and beyond. Have stayed in top floor east rooms a couple of times.

We were on the south side. It's about a mile from Embassy to the ships channel.

We were on the top floor and could only see about the top half of Royal Princess.

Yes, you can see a portion of the harbor entrance but it isn't a very good view in my opinion.

I just don't want to give OP the impression that those views are all that great.

In my opinion, the only good views are along the sides of the ship channel.

All they did was drop 'Hyatt.' It is known as Pier 66 now.

I'd certainly vote for the Pier 66 if ship watching is your thing. I shot this attached photo from our upper-floor balcony a few years back. If you book, make sure to ask for a higher floor pointing in the right direction which, if IIRC, is to the southwest. That way, you have the best view of the basin as well as the main channel leading in from the ocean.

IMG_506220180812.thumb.jpg.ad13ba26d8502d89c29009beee1bd8d6.jpg

I'd certainly vote for the Pier 66 if ship watching is your thing. I shot this attached photo from our upper-floor balcony a few years back. If you book, make sure to ask for a higher floor pointing in the right direction which, if IIRC, is to the southwest. That way, you have the best view of the basin as well as the main channel leading in from the ocean.

I've looked at Pier 66 and the only rooms I find are in the two story building. I seem to remember that the tower is under renovation but I can find where I read that.

I've looked at Pier 66 and the only rooms I find are in the two story building. I seem to remember that the tower is under renovation but I can find where I read that.

Another possibility, a bit closer to the port than the Pier 66, is the Renaissance. Also a taller building like Pier 66, it may offer decent views from a higher floor.

I assume you do not want to get up and walk to the beach or bridge between 4 and 6am so room views are important! And Pier 66 Tower is still closed I believe.

The 10 - 14th floors of the Tower Building facing south in the Hilton are the best for ship views - 14th floor is HHONORS

The Renaissance view is not the best - here is the Port from the 12th floor:

Renaissance-Hotel-Port-View-from-12th-Floor.jpg

The 12th floor of the Embassy Suites offer better views but still obstructed by terminal buildings:

Embassy-Suites-Harbor-Shops-and-Port-View.jpg

If you really want to see the ships arrive, get a room at the Lago Mar. You have a short walk down the beach to the channel linking the port to the sea.

Here's a map of the port. You can zoom in and see individual hotels and make up your own mind about the options.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/port+everglades/@26.0969961,-80.1210734,15.5z

Here's a video taken from the beach area near the Lago Mar showing the ships arriving.

The Lago is a very nice hotel but it is rather isolated. You're pretty much stuck there unless you have a car or pay a fare.

Gosh, to be "stuck" at Lago Mar would be a dream come true for me. We have stayed there three times. Last time I was trying to hurry my daughter to leave for the cruise ship, and she said "who the hell would ever want to leave this hotel"? She had a point.

Gosh, to be "stuck" at Lago Mar would be a dream come true for me. We have stayed there three times. Last time I was trying to hurry my daughter to leave for the cruise ship, and she said "who the hell would ever want to leave this hotel"? She had a point.

Duplicate. Sorry.

We've toyed with the idea of staying there. Could you expand?

We've toyed with the idea of staying there. Could you expand?

The hotel itself is beautiful, family owned and very "old Florida". It is on the beach, and has two pools, one a lagoon type pool. There is bar service at the pool, and I believe lunch service also. The restaurant has a lovely menu, good food, and we especially love the cooked to order buffet breakfast before leaving for the cruise in the morning. The rooms are very comfortable, and our balcony gave us a wonderful view of the ships coming in all lit up at five in the morning, without ever leaving our room. There is room service if desired, a soda shop for burgers and ice cream, a small restaurant on the beach. I could not get my daughter to leave her hammock on the beach. Someone stands just off the beach to hand you cold washcloths when you leave the beach. There is a spa, which we did not use, and a lovely gift shop with swim suits, cover ups, jewelry and sunglasses and hats. Also a mens shop. Service is top notch, they are very anxious to please. I found it to be no more expensive than the Embassy Suites, which I find dreary as far as the rooms go. Their happy hour (Embassy Suites) is an overcrowded joke to me. Explore the website for Lago Mar, it truly is lovely. Yes you need a car if you want to go anywhere else, we are quite happy to stay as long as we possibly can. When we do have to leave, its just a ten minute cab ride to the pier.

Edited by stoneharborlady

The hotel itself is beautiful, family owned and very "old Florida". It is on the beach, and has two pools, one a lagoon type pool. There is bar service at the pool, and I believe lunch service also. The restaurant has a lovely menu, good food, and we especially love the cooked to order buffet breakfast before leaving for the cruise in the morning. The rooms are very comfortable, and our balcony gave us a wonderful view of the ships coming in all lit up at five in the morning, without ever leaving our room. There is room service if desired, a soda shop for burgers and ice cream, a small restaurant on the beach. I could not get my daughter to leave her hammock on the beach. Someone stands just off the beach to hand you cold washcloths when you leave the beach. There is a spa, which we did not use, and a lovely gift shop with swim suits, cover ups, jewelry and sunglasses and hats. Also a mens shop. Service is top notch, they are very anxious to please. I found it to be no more expensive than the Embassy Suites, which I find dreary as far as the rooms go. Their happy hour (Embassy Suites) is an overcrowded joke to me. Explore the website for Lago Mar, it truly is lovely. Yes you need a car if you want to go anywhere else, we are quite happy to stay as long as we possibly can. When we do have to leave, its just a ten minute cab ride to the pier.

Excellent. Just what I was looking for. Can I ask, what type of room did you reserve? There seem to be several choices. Price really isn't a big issue.

We avoid the happy hour at the Suites. Wife does love Kelly's Landing.

Maybe I can do some talking.

Excellent. Just what I was looking for. Can I ask, what type of room did you reserve? There seem to be several choices. Price really isn't a big issue.

We avoid the happy hour at the Suites. Wife does love Kelly's Landing.

Maybe I can do some talking.

We ask for the rooms most newly done, we had a room with two queen beds, a bathroom, a sitting room and a second bedroom with a king bed and bath. As I said, we could see the ships enter the waterway to the port. The buffet breakfast is extra, but worth every cent. Enjoy! I think the name of our room was an Executive, attached to another room with a sitting room in between.

Edited by stoneharborlady

We ask for the rooms most newly done, we had a room with two queen beds, a bathroom, a sitting room and a second bedroom with a king bed and bath. As I said, we could see the ships enter the waterway to the port. The buffet breakfast is extra, but worth every cent. Enjoy! I think the name of our room was an Executive, attached to another room with a sitting room in between.

They have an executive one bedroom suite

They have an Ocean Side one bedroom suite.

These are the two closest to what you describe. The two bedroom executive suite isn't available. They also have four other types. None of which sound like they would have ocean views.

If you want ocean views in that area then do consider the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. Many rooms have direct ocean views unlike the Lago Mar. In my opinion it offers a bit more than Lago Mar often at lower rates and you are not so isolated. It is a long walk from the Lago Mar to anything. From the Marriott it is an easy walk to the water taxi stop for example.

The cheapest ocean front at the marriott is $500 for a weekend in Nov. Almost $200 more than Lago Mar.

Would that be the first weekend in November which is the International Boat Show weekend and the most expensive of the year in Fort Lauderdale? If so and you find a hotel with a price you can live with, book it now. Rooms sell out for that weekend. If it is any other weekend in November (which isn't even high season) the Marriott's price seems mighty steep!

Would that be the first weekend in November which is the International Boat Show weekend and the most expensive of the year in Fort Lauderdale? If so and you find a hotel with a price you can live with, book it now. Rooms sell out for that weekend. If it is any other weekend in November (which isn't even high season) the Marriott's price seems mighty steep!

The second weekend.

I've already booked the E/S at just under $300 for a top floor premium suite. The only choice available.

I learned a couple of years ago to avoid the boat show when booking cruises/rooms.