Victoria BC Questions

good afternoon! We’ll be arriving on to Victoria Island on a Friday evening from 1700-2359. I’ve booked a tea time at The Empress at 1745 (hopefully we can make it) and would like to do a carriage ride afterwards. Have any of you done an evening carriage rides? Any particular companies like Tally Ho or routes you could/would :D recommend? Anyone know how much time to anticipate spending for tea time? Thank you kindly in advance!

good afternoon! We’ll be arriving on to Victoria Island on a Friday evening from 1700-2359. I’ve booked a tea time at The Empress at 1745 (hopefully we can make it) and would like to do a carriage ride afterwards. Have any of you done an evening carriage rides? Any particular companies like Tally Ho or routes you could/would :D recommend? Anyone know how much time to anticipate spending for tea time? Thank you kindly in advance!

We did tea last week at the Empress. Our time was 11am and we finished paying and left the table at 1215pm. I remember because we had to be back to the shuttle stop by 1245 so I was looking at the time constantly!

Definitely do Tally Ho in downtown Victoria! We used them for our wedding in June and it was amazing. If you see the white stallion say ‘hi’ to King. :)

One thing to note is if you do the beacon hill park tour it will be dark in there at that time at night so not as much to see, if that’s what you’re into....however it would be more romantic than a downtown tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely do Tally Ho in downtown Victoria! We used them for our wedding in June and it was amazing. If you see the white stallion say ‘hi’ to King. :)

One thing to note is if you do the beacon hill park tour it will be dark in there at that time at night so not as much to see, if that’s what you’re into....however it would be more romantic than a downtown tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that! Congratulations on your recent nuptuals!

I haven’t been to Victoria since I was a teenager and am

Going to take my daughter on the ride. I just don’t know which one to do! Any recommendations? I had iniatially thought of doing Beacon Hill but wondered about the lighting!

I'd stick to the Inner Harbour area, where you can enjoy seeing the many lit-up historic buildings. Even the shortest tour will be plenty to pootle around the 'best bits' and get the flavour of the ride. As to Tally Ho or Victoria Carriage (there are only 2 providers - resellers like Viator and the cruise lines confuse matters) they are both long-established (the young one is 40 years old this year!), have farms outside the city for their beasties, and generally seem to have no difference in how they look after their animals as far as I can tell (you obviously don't object in principle to working animals in the city or you wouldn't be looking into the rides), they are based at the same intersection, and pricing is basically identical when comparing the same tour lengths.

The only real difference is that Tally Ho offer a 15min tour, which pretty much stays in the Inner Harbour area, whereas the shortest one offered by Victoria Carriage is 30 mins (both companies head up into James Bay, a pleasant 'urban suburb' with many ~century-old homes, for their default 30min version) - all the longer tours by both companies hit Beacon Hill Park, which as noted after dark does not provide much to see, so I wouldn't bother going longer than the 15 or 30min versions.