Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Thanks for all of your insight, Danish Viking! I have a couple of quick questions I'm hoping you can help with...

My mom and I arrive at the airport in the afternoon on Aug 23rd. We are staying at Cabinn Express (Frederiksberg). We will have 2 larger suitcases and 2 smaller carry-on size rollers. I'm "thinking" we can handle these on the train (not sure if we would be successful on buses). So, if we took the train to our hotel, would we take the M2 to the Forum station and then have a short walk to our hotel (based on my research, I believe this is correct, but would love some verification). If so, is this plan doable with the luggage we will have (we don't have any mobility issues) or are the trains difficult to navigate with 2 pieces of luggage per person?

From Cabinn Express, I was thinking we would just take a taxi to Oceankaj (we are on RCCL), since it looks like the train might not be a good option and to use a bus would involve some transfers and maybe too much walking... or am I missing something?

Finally, and you may not be able to answer this but perhaps someone can. Do you know if they enforce the suggested boarding times for RCCL at this cruise terminal? Our tickets "suggest" we board around 2p, but we would prefer to board around 11-11:30 if they will allow it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Melissa

Thanks for all of your insight, Danish Viking! I have a couple of quick questions I'm hoping you can help with...

My mom and I arrive at the airport in the afternoon on Aug 23rd. We are staying at Cabinn Express (Frederiksberg). We will have 2 larger suitcases and 2 smaller carry-on size rollers. I'm "thinking" we can handle these on the train (not sure if we would be successful on buses). So, if we took the train to our hotel, would we take the M2 to the Forum station and then have a short walk to our hotel (based on my research, I believe this is correct, but would love some verification). If so, is this plan doable with the luggage we will have (we don't have any mobility issues) or are the trains difficult to navigate with 2 pieces of luggage per person?

From Cabinn Express, I was thinking we would just take a taxi to Oceankaj (we are on RCCL), since it looks like the train might not be a good option and to use a bus would involve some transfers and maybe too much walking... or am I missing something?

Finally, and you may not be able to answer this but perhaps someone can. Do you know if they enforce the suggested boarding times for RCCL at this cruise terminal? Our tickets "suggest" we board around 2p, but we would prefer to board around 11-11:30 if they will allow it.

Melissa

I will leave all the transportation discussions to others, and just comment on one thing. I am a solo traveler, and try to use public transportation wherever convenient. One way I do that is by travelling with a medium sized checked suitcase (24-25") and a backpack as my carryon. This means that I am only rolling one suitcase, and my shoulder bag is under my knapsack. I have taken the train from Amsterdam to Bruges in this way, and, during the volcanic eruption in Iceland in 2010, I managed to make it from Frankfurt airport to my river cruise departure in Antwerp (train, bus, train and taxi) without too much difficulty. I highly recommend the backpack instead of the rolling carryon.

By the way, I will be using this approach when I travel to Copenhagen next summer to begin a cruise; I will take the subway from the airport to my hotel, and, since I have been told that we will be boarding near the Little Mermaid, I expect to walk to my ship (or perhaps take a bus).

Hey D.V what's up? :)

The thing is that I am thinking of doing a weekend (Fri-Sun) in Copenhagen in December to stroll around the city and

visit some of the Christmas markets. I already had a quick look at this website but I still would like to hear your personal

experience and if there is any hidden gems that only you locals know about?.

I haven't decided anything. It was just an idea that popped up in my head yesterday. It will depend on many things

like work (I start my new job in 2 weeks from tomorrow), train ticket availability, hotel availability and etc.

I haven't had a proper vacation in years but I don't want to go too far this time since I don't want to take

too much time off from work the first couple of months.

All the major christmas markets are listed on that webside, I don´t even know half of them :D

If you are lucky you can time it wth the Christmas ship in Køge Havn around 4 kilometers south of Copenhagen.

The christmas ship is loaded with food and handcrafts from Bornholm.

But since a new company runs the bornholm ferries from this September there has been no info about the christmas ship this year.

But its usually on the first weekend in December.

All the major christmas markets are listed on that webside, I don´t even know half of them :D

If you are lucky you can time it wth the Christmas ship in Køge Havn around 4 kilometers south of Copenhagen.

The christmas ship is loaded with food and handcrafts from Bornholm.

But since a new company runs the bornholm ferries from this September there has been no info about the christmas ship this year.

But its usually on the first weekend in December.

Ok. thanks. :)

We have a few days after our cruise in Copenhagen. We are thinking of a day trip to the out of town castles and renting bikes for a few hours another day. Do you have suggestions for where to bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would bike out to Dragør and get some seafood for lunch.

Melissa

First of all, you´ll need to take the metro and not the train in order to get to Forum station.

But yes the hotel is located behind Forum concert hall so its a short walk from the station.

You can take bus 25 to the pier without any problems, just take the metro one stop to Nørreport and then catch bus 25 from there.

I can´t help you with the last question.

Greetings from Down Under, Danish Viking,

Your provided excellent advice when I visited Copenhagen, with a family of four. I'm impressed that you are still proving advice after so long.

Now I'm returning as a solo senior. I will be flying in to and out of Copenhagen (20-22/9 pm), staying one or two nights, taking the train to and fro the airport, with luggage. ( I'm assuming it will not be possible to leave luggage at the airport.) As I love to walk, I plan to walk around the city as well as visit Tivoli. I believe there is a hostel close to the station. Would this be a suitable area for a solo female? As I will be booking a room on my own, I would appreciate your comments on whether there are other affordable places more suitable for a solo female senior.

There is luggage storage at the airport in the parking house opposide terminal 2.

Generally none of the hotels or hostels are located where it would be a problem for solo female travellers.

The Vesterbro area is located in or near the red light district but these people seems to mind their own business. (unless you are a man ;p)

But Steel House and Danhostel are good suggestions and is not located on Vesterbro.

First of all, you´ll need to take the metro and not the train in order to get to Forum station.

But yes the hotel is located behind Forum concert hall so its a short walk from the station.

You can take bus 25 to the pier without any problems, just take the metro one stop to Nørreport and then catch bus 25 from there.

I can´t help you with the last question.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help!

Melissa

Thank you, Danish Viking! We have been in Copenhagen for 5 days, and yesterday was our big day to visit both Fredriksborg and Kronborg in 1 day. Your advice on train times was perfect, and we had no issues with track closures as other posters have. The Copenhagen Card is great, and we would highly recommend buying it. We leave today on our cruise, but hope to return to Copenhagen in the future. It is a beautiful, charming city, and you have provided a lot of wonderful advice for all of us who visit. Again, thanks!

Royal caribbean doesn't enforce suggested boarding times - I would even suggest 10:30 to 11:00 - in time for lunch at noon - and hopefully the cabins will be ready at 1 pm. Enjoy your cruise.

I pre-purchased the Copenhagen Card (48 hours), and downloaded the app. I want to get to the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde first (on the 25th), then get back and do sights in the city. From Ibsens Hotel, it appears I can go to Vesterport train station, to get me over to Roskilde, is that correct? But I am having trouble finding the name or number of the train I need to take.

No the trains to Roskilde doesn't stop at Vesterport.

But your hotel is located very close to Nørreport from where you can catch the train to Roskilde.

Just looking between 09:00 and 10:00 on the 25th you have these options.

The trains are called RE or Regionaltog. (commuter train)

09:03 towards Nykøbing F

09:06 towards Roskilde

09:17 towards Holbæk

09:23 towards Esbjerg (intercity train)

09:26 towards Rødby Færge

09:37 towards Kalundborg

Same departures the next hours except for the 26 towards Rødby Færge.

So for some odd reason most of the trains departs in the first half hour, so take that into notice when you leave your hotel.

The 09:23 and 09:37 departures are the quickest with a travel time of 29 and 28 minutes.

The others is between 30 and 36 minutes.

Thank you! I found a tab on the Copenhagen Card app, that has all the train and bus route information, and even shows where the ferries run! Another tab shows "What's included", and free public transport is included. Seems very efficient!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DV, I have a question hoping you can help. We arrive 26.9.18 and will embark on the Viking Sky, we’ll be in port until 6 pm the following day. Original paperwork showed our docking position as Langelinie C190 however a few days ago we received a different location

Oceankaj, terminal 1

(Ocean pier, cruise terminal 1)

Nordhavn 2150

The Viking Sky arrives in Copenhagen 25.9 for disembarkation of a cruise before ours and the link you’ve provided, shows it still at Langelinie. Please, please enlighten me if you can, we much prefer the Langelinie location as we’ve docked there 2 years ago and find it convenient. We’ve also booked a Segway tour at Langelinie Alle 58 and a bit concerned as the Oceankaj looks inconvenient.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/season-current

Thanks in advance for your help and I realize you are not the harbor master but.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Danish Viking! What a wonderful, informative thread.

My question is: We will be doing a Back to Back next May on Serenade, We plan to spend the turn around day touring Copenhagen. Would you recommend flying in to Copenhagen 1 or 2 days prior to cruise for additional touring?

Yes for 2 main reasons.

1) You or your luggage can get delayed so its better to have a 1 or 2 day buffer.

2) you only scratch the surface with a 1/2 day in town and in my huble opinion you have to see Tivoli with the lights on in the evening.

Abd a little bonus tip, if you arrive 2 days before you can use the full day to visit the castles and palaces of Northern Zealand.

Frederiksborg and Kronborg (Hamlets castle) is the main castles but some also tries to squeeze ind Fredensborg.

Yes for 2 main reasons.

1) You or your luggage can get delayed so its better to have a 1 or 2 day buffer.

2) you only scratch the surface with a 1/2 day in town and in my huble opinion you have to see Tivoli with the lights on in the evening.

Abd a little bonus tip, if you arrive 2 days before you can use the full day to visit the castles and palaces of Northern Zealand.

Frederiksborg and Kronborg (Hamlets castle) is the main castles but some also tries to squeeze ind Fredensborg.

Thank you so much. :)

Hello, just got starting reading these threads, thanks for all the information. Couple of questions, I don't know if it's been asked. Can the Copenhagen card be used for a taxi at the airport? If taking the metro from the airport to Hotel Bethel, how is the walk from the train to the hotel? Is it rough or even roads, and how far. Would it be hard to drag a couple of suit cases? (DH and I will both be 60+ next year when we go)

Hello, just got starting reading these threads, thanks for all the information. Couple of questions, I don't know if it's been asked. Can the Copenhagen card be used for a taxi at the airport? If taking the metro from the airport to Hotel Bethel, how is the walk from the train to the hotel? Is it rough or even roads, and how far. Would it be hard to drag a couple of suit cases? (DH and I will both be 60+ next year when we go)

No, the Copenhagen Card only works with public transportation, not taxis.

It is a quite easy and short walk from Kongens Nytorv station to your hotel.

Visiting Copenhagen for three nights from 19/9/18 (change of plans due to availability of flights).

Having trouble finding affordable accommodation in Copenhagen for two nights from 19/9. I have one night booked for 21/9 near Tivoli, to attend Tivoli.

I am happy to buy a three day transport pass or Copenhagen Pass. Need accommodation close to rail from airport.

What hotel/motel should I try for a solo booking?