A questions of using porters and risk tolerance.

Tao Diva

Hi all,

I am well aware that standard wisdom dictates that I carry on my CPAP device and not trust it to the porters at the cruise terminal. But when it comes to what to carry and what to entrust to the porters, I'm sure you will agree there is a sliding scale of risk and in the end, it all depends on your own risk tolerance and level of dependence on the device in question. So, with that in mind....

How, if at all, would using a foam lined hard case to transport a CPAP machine influence your level of risk tolerance in giving your CPAP device to a porter instead of carrying it on.

It's the kind of metal case used to transport sensitive electronics. I used it previously to fly to New Orleans with ghost hunting equipment and the indentations in the foam are customizable so I can make it fit my CPAP machine snuggly.

What are your thoughts? Would that be enough to overcome any misgiving you you'd have?

Medical supplies do not leave our "control", and rarely leave our eyesight.

The most critical don't even go in an overhead compartment on a plane (although we do consider that quite safe as long as we grab them quickly, lest there be any confusion with 'look alike' bags).

That bag sits on the floor in front of us, and our feet are usually on it.

For times when we might need to nap (long layover at airport, for example), the bag used is more like a satchel, and has a shoulder strap that gets wrapped around one of us somehow. Cross-body, or handle slipped around one leg, so one of us is literally sitting on it.

IF someone is going to start slashing handles, then.... better they slash the handles than one of us. We can only do so much. But in some cases, losing those med supplies would mean heading home asap, and possible to a hospital first to get "more" of a few things before risking getting on a plane or ship, for example.

And although we don't use a CPAP, our various meds and supplies take up considerably space, and require the equivalent of almost a full carry-on, if combined.

GC

Anything to do with medical, I would keep with me at all times. Even though there could be a very slight chance of something happening...I still wouldn't take that chance

I totally agree. We never let my son's medical equipment out of sight. We use a portable trolley to similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Travel-932-travel-Trolley/dp/B000O0YHWI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534099395&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+trolley&refinements=p_72%3A419153031 to carry the equipment on board the ship.

Hi all,

I am well aware that standard wisdom dictates that I carry on my CPAP device and not trust it to the porters at the cruise terminal. But when it comes to what to carry and what to entrust to the porters, I'm sure you will agree there is a sliding scale of risk and in the end, it all depends on your own risk tolerance and level of dependence on the device in question. So, with that in mind....

How, if at all, would using a foam lined hard case to transport a CPAP machine influence your level of risk tolerance in giving your CPAP device to a porter instead of carrying it on.

It's the kind of metal case used to transport sensitive electronics. I used it previously to fly to New Orleans with ghost hunting equipment and the indentations in the foam are customizable so I can make it fit my CPAP machine snuggly.

What are your thoughts? Would that be enough to overcome any misgiving you you'd have?

You're assuming that any misgiving has to do with the machine's safety. Misgivings have to do with it arriving at your destination. Bags get lost. If you feel that you're OK if the bag gets lost, then by all means check it. I would not risk checking the bag, period, even if it was a bullet-proof case.

How well will you do without the cpap during your vacation? I would actually be more upset to lose the cpap than my scooter. If the airline does not deliver my scooter they are required to give me a wheelchair. There are wheelchairs at the airport and I WOULD leave in one. That is not ideal but I could manage with a manual wheelchair. However sleep apnea can kill you and there would be no way to see a doctor, get a prescription and get a new machine before my ship sails. The cpap stays with me.

There have been several instances over all of the cruise lines, where entire carts full of luggage end up in the water at port. CPAPs are so expensive, that there is no way I would take that chance, and with my luck, if a cart of luggage on my cruise is going to end up in the drink, my things would all be on that cart.

I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here. Sleep apnea is not just an inconvenience and a snoring issue, it is a life-threatening condition. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but is your life worth saving the inconvenience of having to carry your cpap around for a little bit?

You're assuming that any misgiving has to do with the machine's safety. Misgivings have to do with it arriving at your destination. Bags get lost. If you feel that you're OK if the bag gets lost, then by all means check it. I would not risk checking the bag, period, even if it was a bullet-proof case.

They get damaged too... dunno what the “damage rate” is overall, but we travelled as a group of five a couple of years back and ended up with three broken cases between us. My medical gear travels with me at all times...more to carry, but I know I’ll have it all safe if/when it’s needed.

My rule is - If you can't live without it on the cruise, carry it on. This goes for my dad's cpap, both my parents medications, a bedpan/portable mini potty, my dad's seat cane, and certain electronics.

There is medical stuff we bring on that I will entrust to the porters like a travel commode chair (in cases where the grab bars will be on the wrong side of the cabin toilet), my mother's walker (she travels in her wheelchair - the walker is a nice to have but not necessary for her day to day if it were lost or damaged) and a few other incontinence supplies (we would just find alternatives).

I consider both the risk of damage along with the risk of loss.

More $0.02. We were on Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas a couple of weeks ago. On day two of our cruise, when we came back to our cabin to change for dinner there was a note on the bed from Guest Services asking us to check our bags (note was left in every cabin) because one passenger did not receive one of their bags. We don't know if the bag was ever located (I'm assuming it was), but it is a very real possibility (albeit small) that bags get lost.

Just saying...