2018 Voyage of the Vikings

richwmn

The 2018 Voyage of the Vikings begins today!

The Roll Call has been going steady with over 100 Cruise Critic members posting at one time or another, including a few members posting helpful hints learned on earlier Voyages.

Almost 150 people are expected to be at the first Meet & Greet on Friday, with a second scheduled for after the turn around in Rotterdam. Many other activities have been planned.

The weather in Boston this morning is nice, but the past few afternoons have had thundershowers but even with that we should have good weather for the late sail away.

VOV - one of the best itineraries ever, and here is hoping Prince Christian Sound is open both ways. Have a wonderful time. We had 900 4-5 star Mariners on our VOV last year - talk about no tender priorities - there was nothing they could do about it. But because there were so many seasoned HAL cruisers, everyone took it in stride. So many good memories from that cruise.

Enjoy each and every stop - just glorious. Some of us took in the show at the main theater in Reyjavik on our overnight - "How to be an Icelander in 60 minutes" - worth looking into if it is still playing when you are there.

VOV - one of the best itineraries ever, and here is hoping Prince Christian Sound is open both ways. Have a wonderful time. We had 900 4-5 star Mariners on our VOV . . .

I've heard Prince Christian Sund may be closed due to ice flow. When we left on July 20, 2016, it was open both ways. We had about 80% 4 star and up on our cruise.

I've heard Prince Christian Sund may be closed due to ice flow. When we left on July 20, 2016, it was open both ways. We had about 80% 4 star and up on our cruise.

Aug/Sept 2017 - closed on the way over from Boston but fully open on the way back.

What the captain did with cooperation with a helicopterr and the port pilot having done a fly-over survey was to take the ship into the sound at night as far as he could, and then during the day we came back out. On our second time on the way back to Boston, we were able to go all the way through.

So even if it closed, they may still be able to provide a partial transit. Fingers crossed. The transit is slow, silent and majestic. Just stunning.

Have a great adventure!!! And here's hoping you make it to all your ports, and get to cruise Prinz Christian Sund!

We're on the Viking Passage a little over a month from now, and I'm equally excited. (We too have a great Roll Call going, and a M&G with more than 100 signed up already.)

My wife and I are veteran cruisers, but this will be our first HAL cruise, and so we are ZERO star Mariners. I hope they let us on a tender! ;p

Have a great cruise everyone.

It should be wonderful with spectacular scenery.

Looking forward to any reports that you have time for during the cruise.

Bon Voyage :)

Very nice day in Bar Harbour, ME today.

I stayed on the ship until open tendering started, then went into town for a while. The temperature was just about right and made a long walk around town very nice. Lots going on in town, looked very much like tourists other than ship passengers were milling around and enjoying what Bar Harbour has to offer.

I had a very nice dinner, with good service in the Main Dining Room. Went directly to the main stage where the show for the evening was a comedian. Most of the audience enjoyed the show. Followed up with a visit to the Mix where Barry was having an Elvis night.

Sail Away was at 7 pm and we are now headed for Sydney. Sea day tomorrow with the Meet & Greet at 10.

Just left a very sucessful Meet & Greet. We had over 100 Cruise Critic Members show up and introduce themselves. HAL provided the normal cookies, water, tea, and coffee. Many interesting conversations.

The Priest and Protestant Minister are both part of the Roll Call and atteneded the M&G.

Everything went smoothly, many people showed up early so the entire meeting lasted about an hour and a half.

Thanks to all who attended

Yesterday was a very nice day at sea. After the Meet and Greet the crowd dispersed to various areas around the ship. Later in the day they had the slot pull. I watched for a while and understand that they didn't have much success financially it was another good chance to meet everyone.

Today is a drizzly, overcast day in Sydney. It doesn't look very inviting to be out and about.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Rich

I’m having a fabulous time so far. The crew is wonderful, food is outstanding, scenery is fantastic. And I get to do this for ** 5 ** more weeks!! This was a good choice for my second-ever cruise. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums