Whats a P&O cruise like?

Dinglebert

Up until now our single cruise has been with RCI. We're booked to go again with them this year. However for next year all the choices at the moment are P&O but I'm unsure.

What I enjoyed this year on RCI was being part of a multi-national group of passengers. 50 plus countries represented. Announcements in 3 languages etc

What I don't want from a holiday is an upgraded Butlin's full of Brits wearing football shirts. Now I know that says far more about me than them but that's just the way I am.

The first thing I have done on looking at the cruises is to go to You Tube and view the ships. What caught my eye was the setting off from Southampton with all the Union Jacks and singing of patriotic songs.

What are the cruises actually like? The adverts at the moment with Rob Brydon seem my type of cruise and I am struggling to know which is the reality or do you make your own reality.

I know this makes me come across as a bit of a snob and I am indeed a bit like that but more I know what sort of holiday I would enjoy and enforced jollity isn't my cup of tea.

That’s an interesting question and in my experience there is not a standard P&O holiday as the ships And the experience are quite different.

I don’t think the ads represent the true cruise picture that I have seen

Personally I don’t like the sailaways and I have found some of the entertainment team to be patronising and treat the passengers like children. I will never forget the female cruise director on Adonia a few years ago urging women to sit on Santa’s knee - a Santa incidentally who couldn’t keep his trousers up in an ill fitting costume. It was tacky in the extreme

However it is fairly easy to avoid a lot of this and make your own experience.

I know personally I would cruise Celebrity every time in preference to P&O. I like the international mix of people on Celebrity and I prefer the food, and the vibe

I am very sorry that Adonia has left the fleet as I feel it was classier than Azura and Oceana that I have cruised on. I am sure I will cruise on P&O as it is convenient from Southampton which is my preference but I will be picking my cruises carefully

I have been with P and O for many years. Unfortunately standards are dropping, particularly on the Arcadia. Whilst ladies tend to dress smartly on casual evenings many of the men dress extremely casually. The Arcadia has one 'open' deck with a swimming pool and two whirlpools. Loud music is played constantly and it has a large smoking area.

It is getting a bit like Butlins!

It’s pretty much exactly what you want it to be. Ask 25 different people disembarking what they enjoyed on their cruise and you’ll get 25 different answers.

I’ve never subscribed to the Butlin at Sea description - but I’ve never been to Butlin, so who knows?

The Great British Sailaway doesn’t happen at Southampton - it’s a once per cruise event, usually at the last port. It can be fun; depends on your mood, the weather etc. It’s definitely not compulsory! It only takes up a small portion of the deck.

Football shirts? Dunno. Don’t really take a lot of notice of other folks’ clothing. There is a dress code for evenings, which might well be stricter and more strongly enforced than RCI

Gratuities on P&O are much lower, as are bar prices; there is no 15% service charge

It’s difficult to advise anyone on what holiday they might or might not enjoy but I can’t think of any major no-no’s which I would point out to a potential new cruiser. It’s horses for courses though ...

If you are sailing from Southampton then I think you will find more similarities between a P&O and RCI cruise than differences, the main difference will be that P&O will probably be 99% Brits, having said that the Brits will be just the same.

Like Gadabout60 my first choice would be Celebrity but as we no longer fly the limited range of Southampton itineraries, and their higher prices deter us.

But overall you will find a very similar experience, and P&O does offer a wider choice of evening entertainment and venues than RCI, so something will be sure to suit you. If you do choose P&O be sure to report back on your experience.

The last cruise I was on, which was a round trip 'Southampton - Caribbean - Southampton' had a sailaway party at each port of call. This could be heard on my cabin balcony five decks below. Radio Two type music each time.

Eddie, can you tell me how much I may expect to pay for a bottle of red House wine as I would like to have a few delivered to my cabin on my next cruise.

Something I’ve never done.

The wine prices generally aren’t exhorbitant but of course they are more than you would pay at Majestic or Virgin and certainly more than from a supermarket in the Med

Does this help?

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_Wine_Packages.pdf

It’s the only wine list I could find with prices and it’s one you find in the restaurants. I don’t know if that range is available for room service but it will give you some idea of prices, possibly. Cheers!

Hi...if having a multi national vibe to a cruise is important to you then you may be disappointed with P&O because most of the clientele are British and at times the "entertainment" can be a bit staid especially in comparison with RCI. If you are wanting more of a multi national feel and announcements in different languages and a positive zingy vibe at night and need to cruise out from Southampton then I would consider MSC. We have done a couple of cruises with them and really liked them and will certainly cruise with them again. They have a multi national clientele because they allow Embarkation & disembarkation at different ports so it is mixed nationalities. I would describe MSC cruises as understated class.

Up until now our single cruise has been with RCI. We're booked to go again with them this year. However for next year all the choices at the moment are P&O but I'm unsure.

What I enjoyed this year on RCI was being part of a multi-national group of passengers. 50 plus countries represented. Announcements in 3 languages etc

What I don't want from a holiday is an upgraded Butlin's full of Brits wearing football shirts. Now I know that says far more about me than them but that's just the way I am.

The first thing I have done on looking at the cruises is to go to You Tube and view the ships. What caught my eye was the setting off from Southampton with all the Union Jacks and singing of patriotic songs.

What are the cruises actually like? The adverts at the moment with Rob Brydon seem my type of cruise and I am struggling to know which is the reality or do you make your own reality.

I know this makes me come across as a bit of a snob and I am indeed a bit like that but more I know what sort of holiday I would enjoy and enforced jollity isn't my cup of tea.

The Rob Brydon advert depicts P&O as they wish to be seen, this being as Cunard. IMO, in reality P&O fail to live up to their television representations.

It would appear your cruise requirements are a good fit for Cunard.

Take a look through the Cunard brochure and see if it appeals.

I’d like Cunard much better if they could offer a form of Freedom dining (at the base fares, I know you can pay something like 30 - 50% extra to upgrade)

On holiday I simply do not want to dine at one of two specified times, at the same table, with the same table companions and the same waiting staff every evening.

I’d like Cunard much better if they could offer a form of Freedom dining (at the base fares, I know you can pay something like 30 - 50% extra to upgrade)

On holiday I simply do not want to dine at one of two specified times, at the same table, with the same table companions and the same waiting staff every evening.

Have you considered the Lido/Kings Alternative Dining?

Have not yet cruised with them, the alterations they have made this month to dress code says a lot, if they have stopped such wear, they must have had a problem of a "Butlins" style, as you describe it.

Fancy dress and novelty clothing

We don’t want to dampen anyone’s fun but coming into effect on 1 January 2018, fancy dress and/or novelty clothing will not be permitted on board. We reserve the right to deny embarkation to guests who are inappropriately dressed. This is a change from the policy wording printed in the back our January 2018 – October 2019 brochure. The only exception to this is on official theme nights, when guests are invited to dress to reflect the theme. This policy, however, does not apply to children 16 and under.

Personalised and slogan clothing

In addition to the fancy dress policy, clothing personalised with images/slogans, and/or clothing that features offensive language, images or slogans, will not be allowed on board at any time.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

But will that really change anything???

And their customer relations is awful, that I have experienced. Promise responses in 5 days and I am now 20 days and no response.

Sounds to me that you would be better avoiding P&O unless you are happy to go along and enjoy it for what it is. As others have said the deck parties at various places are easy to avoid (we sometimes join in and have a great laugh .. and cocktail or 2) and other times we have stayed on the balcony and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Most people on P&O are from the UK so you wont get much of a mix. Am not sure why you are concerned about football shirts though (we don't wear them but those who do seem ok to us).

If you want a modern ship I would go with Britannia as it is the ship on the advert and it has a quiet adults area and more places to eat if you want a break from the MDR.

Ironically, when we sailed with RCI on the IOS from Southampton the formal night was very formal and they had some sort of a Great British evening as well. Wouldn't sail on RCI again though as we have to go in the school holidays and it was more geared towards children.

If you are happy to give P&O a go then try it ---- you might find some of the things you may not like to be ok after all :-)

Have not yet cruised with them, the alterations they have made this month to dress code says a lot, if they have stopped such wear, they must have had a problem of a "Butlins" style, as you describe it.

quote]

From what I understand this is more for the mini cruises / booze cruises they have been doing from Southampton hence the reference to tops with logos etc. Lots of these were popular with stag and hen parties and I imagine not doing a lot for the company's image ...

Have to say, it does make me laugh when people refer to Butlins - has any one who makes those references been to Butlins recently? ;)

Have to say, it does make me laugh when people refer to Butlins - has any one who makes those references been to Butlins recently? ;)

Its my idea of worst holiday possible. Made the mistake once of going on a weekend holiday to Pontins. All I can say it was free. You couldn't walk on the carpet in bare feet as it was so sticky. The bed had such a sag in the middle if you didn't hold on to the edge you rolled into it. The "guard" at the gate on going out of the park for the day described it as escaping. The football shirt reference was to the evening we decided foolishly it turned out to go to the entertainment in the park. The hall was filled with people most wearing football shirts, men and women, and buying their beer by the 6 pint container.

Now that is their holiday to have and I have no issue with it as long as I don't need to share it with them.

Its my idea of worst holiday possible. Made the mistake once of going on a weekend holiday to Pontins.

Now that is their holiday to have and I have no issue with it as long as I don't need to share it with them.

To be fair to Butlins we have stayed in their newer range accommodation when we went for an out of season conference a number of years back. Accommodation was fabulous --- honest --- and I think they are spending a fortune on some of it now. Have to admit, have seen Pontins and it looks grim !

Know what you mean though, our holiday from hell would be a Club 18 - 30s (and that was the same when we were the right age to go!). Put me on a ship like that for 2 weeks and I'd be borrowing a lifeboat to escape or jumping over board.

I'd say that on a P&O cruise you can make of it what you want to.

Are you able to cruise out of school holidays as that will make a massive difference.

Arcadia is a child free ship and I no issue with reasonably well behaved children anyway. I do not like constant piped over loud radio one type music or smoking, both of which were much in evidence. People putting their bare feet on tables where others are expected to eat. People using chairs as footrests, whilst others are trying to find a seat to sit in. I was even refused a chair because somebody was using it as a rest for their bag. He said "I am expecting somebody". Nobody turned up.

I would look carefully at which ship you chose. The smaller ships tend to have a more traditional feel. On cruises of 10 days or more there is a speaker and a classical pianist. We did a discovery cruise once which definitely had some more interesting tours laid on. And if you don't like the main theatre show there is often a singer or small group playing somewhere else. We are not fans of the sailaway party but there are plenty of other places to stand and say goodbye to a port and on the occasion when we did decide to join in well, yes, it was cheesy and a bit embarassing but we just went with the flow and sang along. Once was enough though.

Are you able to cruise out of school holidays as that will make a massive difference.

I wish. We still have one teenager we take and as my wife lecturers for a living we are limited to the college holidays which are even tighter than the school holidays as she goes back before the students.

I would look carefully at which ship you chose. The smaller ships tend to have a more traditional feel. On cruises of 10 days or more there is a speaker and a classical pianist. We did a discovery cruise once which definitely had some more interesting tours laid on. And if you don't like the main theatre show there is often a singer or small group playing somewhere else. We are not fans of the sailaway party but there are plenty of other places to stand and say goodbye to a port and on the occasion when we did decide to join in well, yes, it was cheesy and a bit embarassing but we just went with the flow and sang along. Once was enough though.

I know I'm coming across all Victor Meldrew and to some extent I am partly him. The truth is I enjoy our RCI cruse far far more than I ever expected. Our last decade of holidays have been to Florida and while the kids the young the theme parks were the thing and as they got older I very much enjoyed the freedom of our own villa, nice car and the choice of where ever we wanted to go to or eat at.

The idea of being in a small cabin for a period of time was one I wasn't sure I would enjoy. The truth was we loved it and immediately booked up again for this year. We enjoy the quizzes and shows in the big theatre as we are big musical theatre goers at home. I loved all the live music on the ship from the calypso bands to the quiet duo who played in the background each night. I did find myself as part of a conga one evening which was a bit disconcerting.

I just found the atmosphere of having a lot of different nationalities and people types to be an excellent holiday. What I was concerned about I suppose was if 90% of the passengers are Brits does it make a big difference to the atmosphere on board.

Does your teenager need entertaining? Do they like being with a crowd of like minded souls? If so I would suggest one of the bigger family friendly ships, if not then Aurora, our favourite. She is a lovely traditional ship, has a kids club but not likely to be overwhelmed with children (having said that we haven't sailed on her in the school holidays)

I just found the atmosphere of having a lot of different nationalities and people types to be an excellent holiday. What I was concerned about I suppose was if 90% of the passengers are Brits does it make a big difference to the atmosphere on board.

we've sailed on Celebrity 3 times and are going back this August. We like both cruise lines for different reasons. We have met some wonderful people on both cruise lines and some annoying ones on both for different reasons! Snobbish Americans can be as annoying as stuck up Brits ;-) Have to say that we like the sailaways on P&O as there is more atmosphere as you leave port -- just music and cocktails. It isn't tacky to me and when the holiday starts.

On our last cruise the most annoying lady was not British and the time before that we met a wonderful lady who we will never forget who was from Lanzarote (on P&O)

If you like RCI give Britannia a go if you want a newer ship. Personally we love Oceana and again have met people on there from all walks of life.

You're not coming across like Victor by the way, but someone sensible who is doing his homework. People who don't and then moan do my head in !!!!

I’ve cruised with P&O twice on Azura.

First time the food was dinner school type ie meat and two veg and very uninteresting, and what everyone describes as silver service was having more potatoes and veg unceremoniously plopped on your plate and service was poor in the bars. The next time the food and service had improved. I usually cruise with Celebrity, Oceania, RCI etc so I’m used to great service and good tasty food.

Both cruises were last minute cheap bookings for which I’m glad. I’d never pay the full price as I don’t think they’re worth it. Mind you saying that the entertainment is their one saving grace. It is really good.

The ‘great British sailaway’ is good if you’ve had a wee tipple before it as it’s very cheesy. IMO It’s their way of selling lots of pimms.

Mind you PandOers don’t count Azura, Ventura as ‘a P&O ships’.

Funnily enough we have cruised P&O many times and are taking our first ever RCI cruise this summer!

As for P&O, we enjoy them and they are definitely a huge step up from Thomson's which definitely is Butlins-at-sea. Food in the MDR is generally good and we've never had an issue on any of the four ships we've sailed on. Formal nights are usually well observed and I've seen people turned away for being under-dressed! The buffets can get crowded and although the food is plentiful, finding a seat can be difficult. Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. I am not one for shows but the standard isn't too bad, or so I'm told by those who like that sort of thing. The sailaway party is just cringe-worthy jingoism but then again, that's just my opinion. We've never sailed Cunard and it looks a bit too stuffy for me. With cruises being ever more popular there is at least plenty of choice out there.