Mekong/SE Asia: Final Prepping? Why & How?

TLCOhio

We are in the British Airways Business Lounge at Chicago O'Hare. Not that big or fancy. BUT, we are the only two people here now!! Wow!! Having this type of space is nice. No hot foods available now, but there are sandwiches, soup, wine, chips, unlimited Internet, etc. We are happy!! Enjoying the quiet!! Much better than being out in the main and noisy terminal. A little less than three hours till we fly away with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. Only a 15-hour 50 minute flight. Have any others experienced that long a flight and can you offer any key tips?

For our upcoming first visit to Southeast Asia, we will have lots of air flights. A Hong Kong to Singapore ocean sailing would have easier. BUT, we wanted more time in certain key cities, plus getting more of a Mekong River and countryside "immersion" experience. This trip will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang.

By airline, we will travel 17,975 miles on these ten different flights. This will include going in and out of three of the 20 most busy airports in the world. Those biggie airports are Chicago O'Hare, Hong Kong and Bangkok. Hoping to survive and do well??!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi Terry. I flew Business Class on Cathy Pacific when I flew to Hong Kong. The service was fantastic!! Enjoy!!!! Diane

Sorry, Diane, we did not do as well as you for sleeping on our long flight from Chicago to Hong Kong. Arrived a little ahead of schedule. Only about a 15 hour flight!! Got a little sleep on the plane and some this morning at the hotel. On the plane, passed much of the time watching about ten segments of the Netflick's hit "House of Cards"!! That helped pass the time, with an added assist from a nice Bordeaux wine, lunch, dinner, etc.

My body clock will still need a few more days to get better adjusted. Feeling fine and energized now, however. That's the good news! Below are a couple of quick visuals from Hong Kong last night. Very alive and interesting city!!

Upcoming weather here in Hong Kong seems great for the next two days. High's around 70-72F, sunny and pleasant. Wonderful!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,467 views for this posting.

Here are a couple of quick Hong Kong visuals from our initial night here. First is the view from our 16th floor room showing the fun lights for this scenic harbor area. Second is the hotel next door to us. It's the historic and famous Peninsula Hotel. We are in a great location for exploring Hong Kong.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMZ_8992%202_zpshoq2gg8w.jpg

IMG_2417%201_zpssxoriv7s.jpg

Here is my wife toasting for enjoying the start of our flight. Being in business class really helps for these super long journeys. Second is one of the lunch food treats served by Cathay Pacific during our flight. Very nice service by their attentive staff.:

IMG_2398%203_zpslxikgdv2.jpg

IMG_2404%204_zpscsgkivfc.jpg

On our flight was a Chicago celebrity chef who attracted big "buzz" from the airline staff and others. He's Graham Elliot and he has gain three James Beard Foundation award nominations, competing on both Iron Chef and Top Chef Masters and was named one of Food & Wine’s “Best New Chefs” in 2004. He was flying to here to open a new dining place in Macau at the MGM Cotai. He sat right in front of me on the plane and I got to talk with him at some length. Interesting, energetic, fun guy!:

IMG_2390%207_zpscvptbeof.jpg

Sorry, Diane, we did not do as well as you for sleeping on our long flight from Chicago to Hong Kong.

My body clock will still need a few more days to get better adjusted. Feeling fine and energized now, however. That's the good news! Below are a couple of quick visuals from Hong Kong last night. Very alive and interesting city!!

Upcoming weather here in Hong Kong seems great for the next two days. High's around 70-72F, sunny and pleasant. Wonderful!!

Sorry you didn't get much sleep on the flight but glad you arrived safe and sound.

Yes, sounds like your hotel is in a great location. And temps sound perfect for touring.

Enjoy!

We are traveling on AMA Waterways and they also said you can get Cambodian visa on board the ship on Mekong River, but they could not guarantee Cambodian govt would still allow issuance on board when we travel in Feb, so we decided to get ahead of time in US to be safe.

Use this website: http://www.embassyofcambodia.org/. (it took a while to find the right site, as most of the ones that come up on google are processing agencies which charge additional fees.)

You can print out the form and the cost was just $30 for the visa with one standard 2x2 passport photo. We used UPS to send passport, visa application and photo, and had it back in one week door to door. Process was very simple and you can even call them to check on current processing times and to follow up.

Hi' date=' Dick! [b']Great follow-up question. [/b]Yes, we have been told on the phone by Avalon folks in Colorado, plus shared by recent, past travelers on the ship doing the Mekong River, that we can get the Cambodian visa when traveling north. As we understand, we will need separate passport pictures for each of us (have done and will carry with us) and $25 per person in U.S. currency. That's our plan!! We could have obtained the Cambodian visa in advance, but that was much more costly and involved. Going this river crossing/border processing direction. Will let you know on my live/blog as to how that works for us.

More questions and/or other info needs/interests??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Orhio

Hi Terry:

Thanks for speedy response!. That is great news!. I had searched various travel websites, but had not found an answer to my question. I know that Cambodia is eager to accept tourists, but I wanted to be certain about visa availability on the Mekong. I'll follow your "blog" with great interest. Have a wonderful trip!.

Dick (willbrook)

Edited by CruisePfan
Pushed send before my text was added.

Terry, picking up your comment you are staying next door to the Peninsular, is it the YMCA you're in? Did you manage to get a harbour view room? It was one hotel we had considered but got a great deal on a one bedroom harbour view suite in the harbour plaza metropolis. Its a little further away than the YMCA, so I'm hoping we've not compromised the "closeness" of Hong Kong Island from your location which is probably the best spot to pick for a stay.

Interesting the ship photo - I'd been looking at that "new" cruise line (or more to the point new ship) after I'd made my booking. It's target market is definitely Singapore and Hong Kong (and China obviously) If I do return to the far east next year as intended, its certainly an option to tag a short cruise only with the trip.

Are you in HK for long? Any plans for popping over the border to China? I only have 5 full days to play with this time, so I'm unsure if the Visa hassle for Shenzen is worth it especially when there is so much in HK.

Use this website: http://www.embassyofcambodia.org/. (it took a while to find the right site, as most of the ones that come up on google are processing agencies which charge additional fees.)

You can print out the form and the cost was just $30 for the visa with one standard 2x2 passport photo. We used UPS to send passport, visa application and photo, and had it back in one week door to door. Process was very simple and you can even call them to check on current processing times and to follow up.

Thanks so much for this information.

We are traveling on AMA Waterways and they also said you can get Cambodian visa on board the ship on Mekong River, but they could not guarantee Cambodian govt would still allow issuance on board when we travel in Feb, so we decided to get ahead of time in US to be safe.

You can print out the form and the cost was just $30 for the visa with one standard 2x2 passport photo. We used UPS to send passport, visa application and photo, and had it back in one week door to door. Process was very simple and you can even call them to check on current processing times and to follow up. "

We did the same because our tour company wrote that they had one trip where the office on the river was closed due to a holiday. It turned out that it was open and we had to hand in our passports together with the other passengers without visas.

(Sorry, something went wrong with the quote feature.)

...Any plans for popping over the border to China? I only have 5 full days to play with this time, so I'm unsure if the Visa hassle for Shenzen is worth it especially when there is so much in HK.
If you go through a HK Tour Company there are no-visa ways to visit Shenzen:

https://www.visaforchina.org/CBR_EN/generalinformation/faq/275556.shtml

"A foreign citizen holding an ordinary passport issued by any country with diplomatic relations with China is exempted from a visa if he or she is already in Hong Kong or Macao and joins a tourist group organized by a travel agency, which is registered in Hong Kong or Macao, for a visit to the Pearl River Delta region (including Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing and Huizhou) and his or her stay is no more than 6 days."

DISCLAIMER: I have NOT personally done this.

Terry, picking up your comment you are staying next door to the Peninsular, is it the YMCA you're in? Did you manage to get a harbour view room? Are you in HK for long? Any plans for popping over the border to China? I only have 5 full days to play with this time, so I'm unsure if the Visa hassle for Shenzen is worth it especially when there is so much in HK.

Yes, Les, we are staying at The Salisbury or the YMCA. Works well and is very nice. Not like the name might imply for a "Y"!! Most important, CORRECT, we do have one of the harbor view rooms. And it's on the top or 16th floor. WOW!! That was a super smart and wonderful choice. Plus, having the Peninsula Hotel next door and so many other great options nearby. Here just three full days. Arrived Monday evening, depart for Bangkok early Friday morning. No time to get the China mainland.

Our first full day here went well. Saw a great Temple involving all three religions in China, plus the different flower, bird and ladies' markets, etc. Plus, they have a great, efficient, busy subway system here. Lots to share, but limited time. Below are a few quick visual samples.

Yes, the "smiles" say clearly saying that we are enjoying our first visit to Southeast Asia.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,915 views for these postings.

From our Hong Kong Temple and market visits, here are some quick visual samples. Yes, interesting and fun! Lots of shopping "opportunities", people, activity and excitement in Hong Kong with its nearly eight million people. With my wife in the third picture is our expert guide Amy Overy. She's been here for ten years after growing up in the UK.:

CMZ_9038%201_zpsoctqyh2r.jpg

CMZ_9050%202_zpsnmb3ordc.jpg

CMZ_9121%204_zpsypsjyxec.jpg

CMZ_9098%203_zpso6amwrxd.jpg

CMZ_9125%205_zpszvldqfmj.jpg

Terry

I don't know whether others feel the same, but to me your constant use of bold font makes me feel like you are shouting. Personally, I'd appreciate it if you used it less. I don't mean this negatively, just wanted to let you know how it looks to me.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Terry

I don't know whether others feel the same, but to me your constant use of bold font makes me feel like you are shouting. Personally, I'd appreciate it if you used it less. I don't mean this negatively, just wanted to let you know how it looks to me.

Terry is an enthusiastic member of CC and his style of posting and reporting is unique and enjoyable with maybe a touch of childlike innocence at times. He is a great asset to CC. I must admit I’ve only ever seen one member “complain” about Terrys posts before and that was for his mention of the number of hits in the commentary of his epic review threads and only said as a put down as that is that persons style.

Terry didn’t take offence to that and I have no doubt he will thank you for your opinion.

You ask if others feel the same. I don’t speak for all, but I love reading Terrys posts. The use of bold is fine. It’s not shouting.... CAPITAL LETTERS is shouting.

Just my 2 cents and certainly not said to criticise your views.

If you go through a HK Tour Company there are no-visa ways to visit Shenzen:

https://www.visaforchina.org/CBR_EN/generalinformation/faq/275556.shtml

"A foreign citizen holding an ordinary passport issued by any country with diplomatic relations with China is exempted from a visa if he or she is already in Hong Kong or Macao and joins a tourist group organized by a travel agency, which is registered in Hong Kong or Macao, for a visit to the Pearl River Delta region (including Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing and Huizhou) and his or her stay is no more than 6 days."

DISCLAIMER: I have NOT personally done this.

Cheers Traveller Thom. I was aware that it was possible to enter as part of a group tour, though it was my understanding you did still have a visa stamped with a greatly reduced fee. I’m in two minds. With the limited time I have, I’m not convinced Shenzen will be better use of my time, though there is a huge element of “been there, done that” creeping in. Plus I think the train journey will be an enjoyable part especially as a friend of mine was one of the engineers involved in designing this high speed link. I think it’s that which will convince me to do it.

Yes, Les, we are staying at The Salisbury or the YMCA. Works well and is very nice. Not like the name might imply for a "Y"!! Most important, CORRECT, we do have one of the harbor view rooms. And it's on the top or 16th floor. WOW!! That was a super smart and wonderful choice. Please plus, having the Peninsula Hotel next door and so many other great options nearby.

I expect the views from the 16th floor across the harbour and the symphony of lights is awesome Terry. Yes I realised the name “YMCA” conjours up negative perceptions and a red Indian Chief with his friends, but know this Hotel is the real deal. As mentioned it was given real consideration when I made my booking.

Appreciate the limited time you have to spare but thanks for taking the time to post. I look forward to your mega thread once it kicks off and know you’ll have a wonderful time.

I had looked at the Cambodia Embassy website for visa information some time ago. You're correct, unlike applying for a visa to some other countries, the form is simple to complete - and the return time is apparently quick. I wasn't sure of the "entry" point into Cambodia, so I emailed the embassy.. A Consular Officer quickly responded that the Cambodia Mekong River entry is at "Kha Orm Sam Nor". On the Vietnamese side of the border the town is referred to as "Chou Doc". I might apply for a visa prior to travel, I'll wait and see how Terry makes out on his trip. Hundreds (if not thousands) of people cross this border everyday. You might just save a bit of time by getting the visa prior to the trip. Thanks for the website. Dick

Hi All! My husband and I just came back from an Avalon Waterways trip to SE Asia and I can honestly say it was perfectly wonderful!:hearteyes: I created a travel blog of our trip and am sharing a link to my blog for those who might be interested. Traveling in December turned out to be a smart decision - less hot and humid than it will be with each passing month; it was actually a bit chilly in Hanoi. Anyway - I hope for those of you who take a look at my blog that you enjoy the pictures and please feel free to ask me any questions. Happy traveling!!

http://4theluvoftravel.blogspot.com/2018/01/our-south-east-asia-adventure-december.html

Hi All! My husband and I just came back from an Avalon Waterways trip to SE Asia and I can honestly say it was perfectly wonderful!:hearteyes: I created a travel blog of our trip and am sharing a link to my blog for those who might be interested. Traveling in December turned out to be a smart decision - less hot and humid than it will be with each passing month; it was actually a bit chilly in Hanoi. Anyway - I hope for those of you who take a look at my blog that you enjoy the pictures and please feel free to ask me any questions. Happy traveling!!

http://4theluvoftravel.blogspot.com/2018/01/our-south-east-asia-adventure-december.html

Appreciate these nice comments and follow-ups by Diane and Les.

Super loved the posting and blog photographs from Angelika. Really excellent!! This gets us even more excited for starting our adventure in Bangkok tomorrow and hooking up with our Globus/Avalon folks.

From gnome12, I understand that some prefer graphics a little simpler and/or more bland. My view and the feed-back I have received is that the use of bold facing in some cases makes it easier for some to "glance" through the text to more quickly see what might or might not be of interest to them personally. Not all might agree, but that is the "why" from my perspective. Some like larger visuals, some do not, etc. Different strokes for different folks!! Will soon have more Hong Kong photo samples from yesterday.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,499 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you so much for the link. Looks like a wonderful trip and we are thinking about it for Jan/Feb of 2019. Your review just confirms that when we do book a SE Asia trip, we'll go with Avalon also.

Looks like Diane is being very smart in her planning for the future. In a few weeks, we will hopefully able to confirm that savvy wisdom. And, I'll offer lots of "photo evidence" to support that wise choice.

Explored the main island, called Hong Kong Island, yesterday. Lots there, including mountains, harbors, spectacular buildings, etc. Our highlights included going to Victoria's Peak, riding the tram, exploring nearby areas such as Aberdeen's harbor and Stanley for its market, etc. Below are only a six of my many, many highlight samples. More to come later on the full live/blog on the River Cruising CC Board.

Getting caught up on some sleep and helping to adjust the body clock to these different time zones. Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok. Understand that is also a busy, busy city with lots of people, new buildings, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,693 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We crossed from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island on the famous Star Ferry. Second is a sample of the old and new on Hong Kong Island. Lots of modern, tall and dramatic architecture here and across Victoria Harbour in Kowloon.:

CMZ_9141%201%201_zpsq2sh9br8.jpg

CMZ_9159%202%201_zps3btxu06t.jpg

Here is the view when coming down from Victoria Peak on the steep tram tracks as another car is coming up.:

CMZ_9234%201_zpspjljfypf.jpg

The meat offered in this market is so fresh, it was actually alive in the morning before being slaughter. Then, direct to this market that offers even such unique side parts such as the tail, etc.:

CMZ_9266%202_zpsgyf0vpun.jpg

In nearby Aberdeen, we enjoyed a sampan ride. We saw a mix of floating fishing villages, luxury boats, high-rises, etc. Plus, also a view of the very touristy Jumbo Floating Restaurant.:

CMZ_9301%203_zps0yjsw4ua.jpg

CMZ_9319%204_zpswq3jz7dx.jpg

Terry, You must be very busy (and very tired) to post so briefly. Will be watching the River Cruise threads for yours. Definitely traveling along with you

Glad to know that Diane is so smart and savvy to be following along. Look forward on the live/blog to her great questions and comments. Getting ready for a 9:10 am flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok. It's only a three-hour and ten-minute flight. Not too bad compared the 15-hours from Chicago to arrive in Hong Kong.

Below are a few brief, added visual samples from Hong Kong. Like the city lots, but ready to move for more and different sights, sounds and samples.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,531 views for this posting.

Lots of night action in Hong Kong!! First, some folks sampling the "street food". Second is one of my treats when we dined at a luxury location at the 30th floor level offering great service, food and views. Finally, a variety of the views last night of the Hong Kong Harbor and their amazing lights, including of a cruise ship arriving here in Victoria's Harbour.:

CMZ_9410%205_zpseolqjqfr.jpg

IMG_2434%201_zps6xdalqkt.jpg

CMZ_9388%202_zpsutv4f2wj.jpg

CMZ_9398%203_zpsvjlo9e9g.jpg

CMZ_9403%204_zpssd6bb5qc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We are now in Hong Kong, getting ready to return from our first visit to Southeast Asia. See below the link to that live/blog. Plus, below are just six sample visuals for this trip. That is only a small fraction of what we saw, did and experienced.

Bangkok/Mekong River, etc.? Am completing a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From Bangkok, here is a unique welcoming look we received at one of their temples. He's serious!!:

CMZ_9704%2013_zpsc18jxuni.jpg

From Ho Chi Minh City's Rex Hotel roof-top location, here is a view of their City Hall and other nearby buildings. Notice the French-influenced architecture in Vietnam's largest city?:

CMY_0148%206_zpsencwyvdx.jpg

After we started sailed on our Avalon Waterways river boat from a dock in Ho Chi Minh City, we had a great sunset as we traveled along the hand-dug canal that connected us for the 18 miles between the Saigon and Mekong Rivers. This straight-line canal was built during the Khmer Empire period hundreds of years ago. Lots of activity, houses, people, activities, etc., along this fascinating route. The Mekong itself is an amazing route with so much much life and stories.:

CMY_0470%202_zpsrcqko3kt.jpg

As we sailed along the Mekong River, we had the chance to walk through many different and very busy/active markets. For this one lady shown below, it could be billed as "Yes, we have bananas!!" These are only six quick samples. Many, many more pictures and details on the full live/blog.:CMY_1102%203_zps0q0vwgum.jpg

While our ship was docked in Phnom Penh, below is one of the local children from an area orphanage putting on a show featuring Cambodian song and dance.:

CMY_1642%2025_zps5oko6pzw.jpg

At this Mekong village, we sawa cotton-weaving operation.:

CMY_1170%206_zpsauaaqrt9.jpg