Barge cruising in France

sjde

I sailed in the Burgundy region on the Dutch Barge "Imagine". It had been retrofitted as a 2 guest bedroom barge and was very enjoyable. I booked it myself, directly with the owners, who are the Captain and his wife.

If you need more information, email me at home(at)terryandmike(dot)com

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Rosethorn40 for that suggestion. CriosiEurope does indeed seem priced moderatelyl ( about $423 pp/nt) compared to the others I've found which are $600-$1000+.

Has anyone heard of 4Winds specialty Tours or know anything about them?

Took a barge cruise through Burgundy via Abercrombie and Kent in 2001 (right after 9/11.) Spouse says this is his favorite trip of all time--very peaceful, beautiful area and away from the horrible world events. Barging is a very different "cruise" experience from ocean or river cruisers. Barges are compact and do not have the amenities of a larger ship. But they are set up nicely and we had phenomenal dining (French chef on board.) It is a slow paced, intimate experience.

Our barge was set up for 22, but everyone but 8 of us cancelled after 9/11. Since then, the barge companies have stepped up the game and reconfigured many of the barges to offer much larger cabins and fewer cruisers per barge. Had a phenomenal tour guide, Patrice Bedert, who we'd love to engage again but cannot locate (worked for the company Continental Waterways, who ran the barge "L'Abercrombie.") We look forward to other barging experiences in the Loire, Champagne and Alsace Lorraine. I'd look at the "Barge Lady " website to compare multiple companies, multiple price points as well. A friend of mine used French Country Waterways and had high praise for that company as well so we'd definitely consider them in the future.

We did one of these a few years ago with LocaBoat Plaisance...

Great fun going about at your own pace. This type of river/canal vacation is really popular with Europeans. We were on Canal Midi rather than big river which would have stressec us.

• 1 year later...
Took a barge cruise through Burgundy via Abercrombie and Kent in 2001 (right after 9/11.) Spouse says this is his favorite trip of all time--very peaceful, beautiful area and away from the horrible world events. Barging is a very different "cruise" experience from ocean or river cruisers. Barges are compact and do not have the amenities of a larger ship. But they are set up nicely and we had phenomenal dining (French chef on board.) It is a slow paced, intimate experience.

Our barge was set up for 22, but everyone but 8 of us cancelled after 9/11. Since then, the barge companies have stepped up the game and reconfigured many of the barges to offer much larger cabins and fewer cruisers per barge. Had a phenomenal tour guide, Patrice Bedert, who we'd love to engage again but cannot locate (worked for the company Continental Waterways, who ran the barge "L'Abercrombie.") We look forward to other barging experiences in the Loire, Champagne and Alsace Lorraine. I'd look at the "Barge Lady " website to compare multiple companies, multiple price points as well. A friend of mine used French Country Waterways and had high praise for that company as well so we'd definitely consider them in the future.

Hello l am Patrice thé guide le thé abercrombie barge. Tank you for thé comment. If you need a guide in France again call me l will be pleased to guide you again !

• 2 weeks later...

Our barges in France are some of our most popular programs! We currently operate 5 barges - each with it's own region and flavor.

The MS Raymonde - Cruising from Paris to Epernay - the Home of Champagne

The MS Jeanine - Burgundy and Franche Comte from Dijon

The MS Deborah - the Heart of France on the Upper Loire from Briare to Nevers

The MS Madeleine - From Strasbourg to LaGarde in France's Alsace

The MS Anne Marie - Coastal Provence and the Languedoc From Sete to Arles

Barges have the same inclusions as our River Cruises - delicious French Cuisine, Daily Tours, and comfortable cabins. They tend to cover smaller distances and move a bit slower - as a result you get an intensive insight into a unique French Region. This doesn't mean they have to be less active - bikes are provided on board to cycle the tow paths, or around the towns you visit.

With just 22 passengers on board, you end up making close friends with your traveling companions - and making memories to last a lifetime!

Our barges in France are some of our most popular programs! We currently operate 5 barges - each with it's own region and flavor.

The MS Raymonde - Cruising from Paris to Epernay - the Home of Champagne

The MS Jeanine - Burgundy and Franche Comte from Dijon

The MS Deborah - the Heart of France on the Upper Loire from Briare to Nevers

The MS Madeleine - From Strasbourg to LaGarde in France's Alsace

The MS Anne Marie - Coastal Provence and the Languedoc From Sete to Arles

Barges have the same inclusions as our River Cruises - delicious French Cuisine, Daily Tours, and comfortable cabins. They tend to cover smaller distances and move a bit slower - as a result you get an intensive insight into a unique French Region. This doesn't mean they have to be less active - bikes are provided on board to cycle the tow paths, or around the towns you visit.

With just 22 passengers on board, you end up making close friends with your traveling companions - and making memories to last a lifetime!

Are the tours in English as well as French? Are passengers usually all French or are there international travelers as well?